PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots select WR Tyquan Thornton at 50.

Harry pick in retrospect was horrible. However, people on this board were happy. There were a number of folks who wanted AJ Brown or Metcalf, but thought Harry had all the tools. Here's his Official NFL scouting report, which said that Harry was going to be a solid starter.

He is a big time bust. Reminds me of....

In the 2006 NFL Draft two wide receivers stood out among the class: Santonio Holmes and Chad Jackson. Those two obviously ended up having extremely different careers.

Jackson looked amazing in the combine, especially after he ran a 4.3 40-yard dash. The Patriots traded up to snag Jackson early in the second round.

Harry is definitely gone at some point. Just depends if he is just cut or we can trade him for a bag of balls.

I've fallen more and more for the Thornton pick. Maybe Moore and Pickens will end up as better receivers but they aren't what we need. We desperately needed to get faster and have someone who opposing defences have to account for every play. Even if he's raw and only plays sparingly in year one, a defence is going to be hyper aware when a 4.28 athlete gets on the field. There wasn't a player on offense last year that the other team needed to be concerned about. I think that's changed now.

It's odd that everyone seems in love with the Packers trading a load of picks to move up to 34 for a raw, small school, height-weight-speed athlete. Yet when we get a similar player later everyone is dumping on it.

Harry is definitely gone at some point. Just depends if he is just cut or we can trade him for a bag of balls.

I've fallen more and more for the Thornton pick. Maybe Moore and Pickens will end up as better receivers but they aren't what we need. We desperately needed to get faster and have someone who opposing defences have to account for every play. Even if he's raw and only plays sparingly in year one, a defence is going to be hyper aware when a 4.28 athlete gets on the field. There wasn't a player on offense last year that the other team needed to be concerned about. I think that's changed now.

It's odd that everyone seems in love with the Packers trading a load of picks to move up to 34 for a raw, small school, height-weight-speed athlete. Yet when we get a similar player later everyone is dumping on it.

I'd pull the trigger for "1 sleeve of Titleist ProV1 balls".... :D

No one, I mean no one had Harry rated above the likes of AJ Brown, whose film blew away Harry’s
This was so easy to disprove: 2019 NFL Draft prospects: Big board of top 100 players

I looked at several other boards where N'Keal Harry was predicted to go before the Patriots pick.

Anyone who believes Harry was a reach according to the consensus wasn't paying attention

In the 2006 NFL Draft two wide receivers stood out among the class: Santonio Holmes and Chad Jackson. Those two obviously ended up having extremely different careers.

Jackson looked amazing in the combine, especially after he ran a 4.3 40-yard dash. The Patriots traded up to snag Jackson early in the second round.

I think Bill at times puts too much emphasis on metrics...sometimes you just have to go with the more talented guy

I am optimistic that Thornton will mesh well with Mac.

Brady succeeded with reading the defense, option routes and slant accuracy. He needed his receivers to read his mind and that's why a lot of guys had trouble fitting in, while he had the most success with Welker and Edelman. The most success he had with the deep ball was with the greatest deep receiver of all time.

While Mac stuck to the short passing most of his rookie year, his college tape shows that he is very good at placing an accurate, catchable ball deep and early for speedy guys (Waddle and Smith) to run under. I hope Thornton can fit the bill.

As far as Thornton's weight, it would be nice to see a little more bulk, but Randy Moss knew how to get open, catch the ball, and get down to avoid hits. It would be a good thing for him to learn.

Realistically Thornton won't have a ton of opportunity this year unless he really gets it mentally or injury. I'm sure they'll give Agholor every chance to latch on better this year... although it'd be better business for them to give more reps to Thornton than Agholor since he'll be gone next year no matter what. The money they gave him was stupid, and even if he does better this year, they won't pay him again. So, may as well get the young guy more action because you only have 4 years with him until you let him walk too.

I am optimistic that Thornton will mesh well with Mac.

Brady succeeded with reading the defense, option routes and slant accuracy. He needed his receivers to read his mind and that's why a lot of guys had trouble fitting in, while he had the most success with Welker and Edelman. The most success he had with the deep ball was with the greatest deep receiver of all time.

While Mac stuck to the short passing most of his rookie year, his college tape shows that he is very good at placing an accurate, catchable ball deep and early for speedy guys (Waddle and Smith) to run under. I hope Thornton can fit the bill.

As far as Thornton's weight, it would be nice to see a little more bulk, but Randy Moss knew how to get open, catch the ball, and get down to avoid hits. It would be a good thing for him to learn.
I truly think this narrative is overrated. Brady has done well with entirely new casts in Tampa. He did well with free agents in New England like Reche, Gaffney, Hogan, Lloyd, Cooks, Amendola, he's done well with draft choices like Branch, Givens, Edelman, Mitchell. It should be noted that he only did poorly with Patriots draft choices who then moved on to other teams and other QBs and who didn't do anything there either.

Sometimes a bad WR is just a bad WR.

I've yet to see a guy who couldn't mesh with Brady but could mesh with another QB.

And yes I know Galloway, Wayne and Ochocinco and the like, but these were end of career guys who retired after they failed here.

Who is the WR who couldn't play with Brady but could play with someone else?

Realistically Thornton won't have a ton of opportunity this year unless he really gets it mentally or injury. I'm sure they'll give Agholor every chance to latch on better this year... although it'd be better business for them to give more reps to Thornton than Agholor since he'll be gone next year no matter what. The money they gave him was stupid, and even if he does better this year, they won't pay him again. So, may as well get the young guy more action because you only have 4 years with him until you let him walk too.
$11m per for a guy with his production the prior year now looks like it's under the market. Compare him to Gage for instance.

This was so easy to disprove: 2019 NFL Draft prospects: Big board of top 100 players

I looked at several other boards where N'Keal Harry was predicted to go before the Patriots pick.

Anyone who believes Harry was a reach according to the consensus wasn't paying attention
The chart I saw the other day had Harry picked a whopping 2 slots ahead of the consensus board rankings.

The chart I saw the other day had Harry picked a whopping 2 slots ahead of the consensus board rankings.
Which board rankings ? Just curious

To me, this pick makes the draft or breaks it. Strange will have a high floor - he's almost certainly going to be a four-year-starter here, at least. The tools are all there. But let's face it, they could have gotten a decent guard, maybe even him, in the 2nd round, and even if they have Strange rated higher, good enough in th eIOL is good enough (unless we're talking a Quinton Nelson, and I don't think anyone's putting Strange there).

If Thornton takes the top off, can run the slants with big YAC, etc., the draft with him and Strange is solid right there alone.

But if Thornton is a bust, the Strange pick becomes much harder to justify.

Just how I irrationally feel about it. The Jones CBs might be decent contributors, the late round C?G and tackle, the two big DEs, Labryan and Roberts might develop...but really, Thornton seems to be the linchpin of the draft.

I truly think this narrative is overrated. Brady has done well with entirely new casts in Tampa. He did well with free agents in New England like Reche, Gaffney, Hogan, Lloyd, Cooks, Amendola, he's done well with draft choices like Branch, Givens, Edelman, Mitchell. It should be noted that he only did poorly with Patriots draft choices who then moved on to other teams and other QBs and who didn't do anything there either.

Sometimes a bad WR is just a bad WR.

I've yet to see a guy who couldn't mesh with Brady but could mesh with another QB.

And yes I know Galloway, Wayne and Ochocinco and the like, but these were end of career guys who retired after they failed here.

Who is the WR who couldn't play with Brady but could play with someone else?
Good question, but kind of missing my reasoning.... Ochocinco, Galloway, Wayne, Holt, Demaryius Thomas, Collie... I'm guessing they don't count even if some of them had good recent production, because they went into retirement shortly after. Sanu.... Gaffney actually had his worst years with Brady. But that's not the point.

I think you mistake my reasoning as saying that a lot of guys suffered from playing with Brady. For the most part receivers were able to have the same production. Because Brady is the best QB that ever lived, I'm saying that the best receivers were able to get on the same page as him and have the best production of their careers. If you are playing with the GOAT and your production isn't significantly better, then IMO you aren't fitting into his game, but he'll still use you.

I'm concentrating on the receivers that did better with him than with other teams, not the other way around.

Mac has a different style and I'm hoping Thornton is his kind of receiver.

Both of them had a major injury before the 1st preseason game. I wonder if they both tried coming back too early then injured something else, then another thing all within the 1st year. At that point...

So apparently the new WR coach for Pittsburgh was the WR coach for Thornton for two years at Baylor. In fact, he recruited him to Baylor.

1070fdc512251b243b5fcb97e809427a.png

He wasn't making it past the Steelers and I think if Carolina (Matt Rhule coached Baylor) had that 2nd round pick they used for Darnold he would have been long gone

Boy, the Harry guy is renting space in a lot of our heads going into year 4. It’s really just time to move on from him and turn the page. I wanted Brown and I think Manxman who is the best wr evaluator on Patsfans converted many of us to his binkie. I gave Harry the benefit of the doubt and drank the koolaid hoping he’d be star. Didn’t happen and it was a wasted pick they are never getting back.

I like the pick of Thornton. Gonna drink the koolaid again and hope for the best. This time though we have a guy with elite+ speed and the old saying speed kills is applied to almost every sport nowadays. If his bottom ceiling is bethel johnson than that sucks. If his middle is devery henderson/will fuller I can live with that, if he takes the NFL by storm like Tyreek, Metcalf, Brown, Jefferson than there is going to be a lot of eating crow by some fans. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind at all if that happens.

Thornton seems natural getting off the line, accelerates and cuts well, and has a lot of room to go being 20 years old. If you want high upside and speed, that is what we now have. The same coaches that picked Stevenson picked Thornton and Strong. We will see but I think there is a new draft sheriff in town and I like what he is doing.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back