PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Running Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyBlueCat

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have a feeling soon it won't be surprising to the media.

Credit should be given to the backs, the OL, and the coaching, but also to the upgrade at WR talent. Harder to play the heavies when you've got Gronk, Jules, and Gordon out there, even if you're in a 22 formation.

Through six games, the Pats are roughly at their "normal" rankings for a season:
- 5th in rushing attempts
- 11th in rushing yards
- 6th in rushing TDs
- 19th in ypa

The Bears' defense may be a test. Through five games played (they had a BYE):
- 4th in rushing yards allowed (though they gave up 161 to MIA on Sunday)
- 1st in rushing TDs allowed with zero (NE is tied for 2nd with 1 TD allowed)
- tied for 7th in ypa allowed

If the Pats ground game can click in Chicago, it's probably pretty good.

I'd still like to see them find a bigger, Clock Killin' back who can help save touches from the other two whenever we don't have to score 43 points in order to win a game, and who can provide insurance as long as Michel continues to be a "game-time decision."

In the meantime, and since he was active anyway, I would've liked to see more of Barner in the Backfield. He did well during the one series (IIRC) in which he was given the ball.

And I applaud the coaches who seem to have finally recognized that Develin > Dwayne Allen when it comes to improving the run game. How many snaps again did the $3M (formerly $5M!) Man have? And were any of them in passing situations, or were they all goal-line/short-yardage?

Big test this week, weve feasted on done pretty weak run d’s the last few weeks. Interested to see how they fare, in the past our run game tended to disappear in these games. Im hopeful we’re turning a corner there because Michel looks corey dillon -Curtis martin legit right now.

I'd still like to see them find a bigger, Clock Killin' back who can help save touches from the other two whenever we don't have to score 43 points in order to win a game, and who can provide insurance as long as Michel continues to be a "game-time decision."

In the meantime, and since he was active anyway, I would've liked to see more of Barner in the Backfield. He did well during the one series (IIRC) in which he was given the ball.

And I applaud the coaches who seem to have finally recognized that Develin > Dwayne Allen when it comes to improving the run game. How many snaps again did the $3M (formerly $5M!) Man have? And were any of them in passing situations, or were they all goal-line/short-yardage?
Jeremy Hill was just teasing us with what could’ve been until Develin shredded his knee. That play still pisses me off. I don’t know if Hill ever recovers from that injury.

Anyway, Develin is still a good FB and has done a great job paving the way for Sony Michel. It’s amazing how teams forget the importance of a good FB clearing the way for a RB.

I was impressed with Barner as well, he made the most of his only two 2 carries.

Would love to see Sony take one to the House soon enough. That said is it just me or is James White is looking more and more like an Every down RB?? White is running with a lot more power and there is no question about his ankle breaking shiftiness and speed.

It’s been a good thing to watch them build up and become top shelf on running

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes