PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Patriots reportedly waive OT Yodny Cajuste

N'Keal was a bad pick. I'm surprised he's still in the league.

All the other players are still in the league except the 7th rounder.

Is that good or bad compared to other NFL draft classes? Do you even care to know?

Aside from N'Keal, all the others were on 4 year deals, so they're on new contracts now. Do you have any idea how many draft picks sign new contracts with their original team? Hint: on average only about 32 players -- 1.3% -- in an entire draft class end up signing new contracts with their original team.

You are also ignoring all the starts provided by that class -- Damien Harris for instance -- when they were with the Pats, and ignoring picks and players received by the Pats for those players in compensation -- Mack Wilson for instance was traded straight up for Winovich and is still with the team.

And of course you ignore UDFa's; the Pats got Jakobi Meyers in that class so will likely receive draft comp for him next year. And Calvin Anderson is ironically back with the team.

It's the usual bloviation with you guys trashing the Pats drafts, you *never* provide a baseline for expectations so you have no idea what you're talking about.
I think a large part of the problem is that we as fans were spoiled for so many years with such incredible drafts. It was like one hit after another and another and another. When the well started drying up, it wasn’t a big focus. The team was still winning games. The combination of Bill and Brady masked a lot of the problems. Now, no Brady, constant changes in the F.O., coaching departures etc. have finally caught up to Bill and he’s having a difficult time catching that magic in a bottle again. Now there’s no one to help cover it up with. Now the misses are obvious, GLARING ****ing holes. So, the reaction by many fans is understandable to me. However, the parts of the fan base that just repeat over and over and over the same over exaggerated, tired ass takes are the ones that make it hard for anyone to have a reasonable criticism without having someone jump on ‘‘em for it. I agree with what you said, just to be clear. I’m not sure if I made it clear in my response. You fired me up. We’ve had a bad run of drafts. No doubt about it. Won’t argue that. It’s left this team in pretty bad shape talent wise. As others like yourself has posted though, it’s unfortunately very common and many teams go through it. The difference is, many of those staffs are canned without ever really getting a chance. Our guy has been doing it for what, going on 23 years? Makes it real easy to be hyper critical of his results vs guys who have a much smaller sample size. To have this team performing like they did the past few years with the lack of elite talent, and some of the off-season blunders (MP, JJ, OL coaching situation etc…) shows that Belichick can still coach with the best of them. Most teams in a similar situation are picking top 5 year after year. That gives me hope. Now if Bill can just manage to get back on track and hit a few in these drafts, we’ll be back to playoff contention.

TL;DR? Draft success is a lottery. Bill has a much larger sample size to judge from than most if not all of his peers. It’s a crapshoot guys. Crapshoot. Stop over exaggerating on how bad the picks are. Bill isn’t the only one with ****ty drafts. There’s hope in the future as Bill can still coach.

no need to apologize...

Katz doesnt belong on that list, at all
We had two season of starts outta Chung
Easley was always a "potential" pick, after that nasty knee injury in college
Ok, Canty was bad, no doubt...
Trevor Maitich spend a dozen years in the nfl
HLD had more yardage & TDs in 2 years than Harry has had in four... bad knee injury and his tilt with fryar did him in
Hart Lee Dykes was not remotely a bad pick. He just ran into an unfortunate series of devastating knee injuries that ended his career.

Hart Lee Dykes was not remotely a bad pick. He just ran into an unfortunate series of devastating knee injuries that ended his career.
Hart Lee was a big time talent who developed much bigger time knee problems. He otherwise coulda been a contender.

Hart Lee was a big time talent who developed much bigger time knee problems. He otherwise coulda been a contender.

He's a guy who one has to wonder if his injuries weren't misdiagnosed originally. Like the shattered knee-cap and then the ACL Tear. That was back when they had that HACK as the team doctor, if I remember correctly.

And of course you ignore UDFa's; the Pats got Jakobi Meyers in that class so will likely receive draft comp for him next year. And Calvin Anderson is ironically back with the team.
It is exceedingly unlikely; they signed four qualifying agents but only lost two.

It is exceedingly unlikely; they signed four qualifying agents but only lost two.

Here is the tracking of whom they signed and lost.

Smith- Schuster, Reiff, Anderson, Gesicki and Robinson are likely to count in the Comp Pick formula against the Patriots. McSorley will likely NOT count against the Patriots. Meyers and possibly Agholor, Harris and Williams will count for the Patriots. Isaiah Wynn will NOT count for Patriots because he was signed AFTER the Draft.

By my count, they signed 5 qualifying (unless Reiff doesn't qualify because of age) and lost 1 but could be as many as 4. Regardless, the Pats aren't getting draft picks unless.

UPDATE: Over the cap has us at 4 gained and 2 lost, with Harris (1.7M APY) and Williams (1.1M APY) NOT counting.. However, they don't have the Pats signing Robinson (2M APY). From their list, it looks like any contract below 2.75M doesn't qualify..

Last edited:

Wasn't one of them self-inflicted, at a downtown pub... Or was that where the previously-mentioned eye injury occurred ?

Last edited:
UPDATE: Over the cap has us at 4 gained and 2 lost, with Harris (1.7M APY) and Williams (1.1M APY) NOT counting.. However, they don't have the Pats signing Robinson (2M APY). From their list, it looks like any contract below 2.75M doesn't qualify..
The 2020 CBA made the comp pick rules explicit, but also made them harder to earn: it used to be FAs in the top 50%, but now it's only top 35%. Moreover, it took out some of the loopholes that used to exist (e.g., players who reach FA due to the failure to pick up an option no longer qualify).

N'Keal was a bad pick. I'm surprised he's still in the league.

All the other players are still in the league except the 7th rounder.

Is that good or bad compared to other NFL draft classes? Do you even care to know?

Aside from N'Keal, all the others were on 4 year deals, so they're on new contracts now. Do you have any idea how many draft picks sign new contracts with their original team? Hint: on average only about 32 players -- 1.3% -- in an entire draft class end up signing new contracts with their original team.

You are also ignoring all the starts provided by that class -- Damien Harris for instance -- when they were with the Pats, and ignoring picks and players received by the Pats for those players in compensation -- Mack Wilson for instance was traded straight up for Winovich and is still with the team.

It's the usual bloviation with you guys trashing the Pats drafts, you *never* provide a baseline for expectations so you have no idea what you're talking about.
I've been working in Europe for the past month and just saw this. I hear what you are saying but you can't honestly be happy with this draft class and what we got out of it. That none of the players drafted in 2019 are still with the team is not a good draft.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back