PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Patriots reportedly waive OT Yodny Cajuste

Just touching on the 2019 draft.. I just saw that of those drafts picks all of then are signed elsewhere but N'Keal Harry.. lol

You might reconsider how bad it is to have ALL but one of your draftees in the league after four years. What ARE the odds for 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, and so forth. And, Harry will likely be signed by someone.

I believe that half of draftees are out of the league before the end of their 4th season. ALL of our players were still playing. And I AGREE that this was a terrible Belichick draft.
===========
As far as this being the worst draftee ever, that's simply nonsense.

I would agree that this was Belichick's worst 1st round pick since he joined the patriots. He certainly had players at lower rounds who didn't last 4 years. As far as patriot 1st rounders, he is the worst first rounder since Chris Canty.

probably the worst draft pick the Pats have made.
You have a short memory. There were a lot worse picks, that didn't last anywhere near 4 years in the league.

Do you mean that this is worst 1st round pick by Belichick? There really was history before Belichick. Someone draft Chris Canty in 1999.

You have a short memory. There were a lot worse picks, that didn't last anywhere near 4 years in the league.

Do you mean that this is worst 1st round pick by Belichick? There really was history before Belichick. Someone draft Chris Canty in 1999.
In the sense that the draft was loaded with wrs that year... Out of all the hits, we swung and missed big time... The first round selection was just a bonus...

short memory? nah... the harry pick was that bad

Last edited:
Double post

You might reconsider how bad it is to have ALL but one of your draftees in the league after four years. What ARE the odds for 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, and so forth. And, Harry will likely be signed by someone.

I believe that half of draftees are out of the league before the end of their 4th season. ALL of our players were still playing. And I AGREE that this was a terrible Belichick draft.
===========
As far as this being the worst draftee ever, that's simply nonsense.

I would agree that this was Belichick's worst 1st round pick since he joined the patriots. He certainly had players at lower rounds who didn't last 4 years. As far as patriot 1st rounders, he is the worst first rounder since Chris Canty.
Yeah sensible, I had mentioned that what made the 2019 draft in particular so egregious was that had those players panned out most specifically N'Keal we'd have some pieces in place post brady.

Now the 2020 draft and afterwards we are headed in the right direction. On this year's draft I really feel like gonzo is a future ALL-PRO, he says he wants to learn and soak up everything from the veterans and work hard. I hope I'm right!

probably the worst draft pick the Pats have made.
Eugene Chung says “Hi!”, Hart Lee Dykes, Andy Katzenmoyer, Trevor Matich, Chris Canty, and Dominique Easley remain silent but feel sad about being forgotten.

And thats just the 1st round failures. I omitted the Phil Olsen and Dave Stachelski types who simply refused to come here at all.

EDIT: my apologies I posted this before seeing that a couple others had posted similarly already.

I disagree.

FwcID-wWwAEpprE
And those two draft classes were selected by two of the better drafters in the NFL over the las 10-15 years. Hmmmm.

Never healthy, not that good when he plays. No idea how he still has some hype.

Yeah sensible, I had mentioned that what made the 2019 draft in particular so egregious was that had those players panned out most specifically N'Keal we'd have some pieces in place post brady.
Only if we had paid him more than we've ever paid for a WR - just under $20 million to franchise a WR in 2023.

Titans traded AJ, who got 4/100 with 57 guaranteed (and includes dead money after that to the tune of 13.5m in the void years).

Metcalf's on for 3/72 with 58 guaranteed.

Deebo's on for pretty much the same - 3/71.5 with 58 guaranteed.

Now the 2020 draft and afterwards we are headed in the right direction. On this year's draft I really feel like gonzo is a future ALL-PRO, he says he wants to learn and soak up everything from the veterans and work hard. I hope I'm right!

People keep acting like the draft is a long-term, team-building solution. It's NOT nearly as big as it's being made out to be. After 4 years, you're going to have to pay market value for your picks.

If we had drafted Lamar Jackson, would we have a SB? Doubt it - he didn't get there with the Ravens' team that had more talent the last few years than the Pats. To keep him, we'd be paying him huge money now, which we could have done this off-season, right?

Other than the rare find who has an immediate impact, a good pick gives your 2 or 3 years on his rookie deal, then to keep him (Joe Thuney), you have to open the bank up.

Team control ain't what it used to be. The draft is important to find guys to keep things churning, but team-building in the salary cap era, particularly now with players catching up on how to play the system, requires lots of pieces from lots of places.

Which is also, by the way, why what BB and the Pats did was all the more incredible. Look at the old dynasties like Pittsburgh, San Fran and Dallas and you'll find pretty much the same corps of players front to back on the run.

Eugene Chung says “Hi!”, Hart Lee Dykes, Andy Katzenmoyer, Trevor Matich, Chris Canty, and Dominique Easley remain silent but feel sad about being forgotten.

And thats just the 1st round failures. I omitted the Phil Olsen and Dave Stachelski types who simply refused to come here at all.

EDIT: my apologies I posted this before seeing that a couple others had posted similarly already.
no need to apologize...

Katz doesnt belong on that list, at all
We had two season of starts outta Chung
Easley was always a "potential" pick, after that nasty knee injury in college
Ok, Canty was bad, no doubt...
Trevor Maitich spend a dozen years in the nfl
HLD had more yardage & TDs in 2 years than Harry has had in four... bad knee injury and his tilt with fryar did him in

Last edited:
no need to apologize...

Katz doesnt belong on that list, at all
We had two season of starts outta Chung
Easley was always a "potential" pick, after that nasty knee injury in college
Ok, Canty was bad, no doubt...
Trevor Maitich spend a dozen years in the nfl
HLD had more yardage & TDs in 2 years than Harry has had in four... bad knee injury and his tilt with fryar did him in
Does joeuan Williams , Wheatley, whilhite, Cunningham, Dowling have any more room on that list?

Does joeuan Williams , Wheatley, whilhite, Cunningham, Dowling have any more room on that list?
Ras-I Dowling would be in good company... The rest were serviceable, in a fashion... Maybe it was just me, but I had high hopes for nkeal harry, and that magnifies the proverbial kick to the nuts created by whiffing big time on that pick...

Ras-I Dowling would be in good company... The rest were serviceable, in a fashion... Maybe it was just me, but I had high hopes for nkeal harry, and that magnifies the proverbial kick to the nuts created by whiffing big time on that pick...
I saw Wheatley in a market basket one time.. very nice guy.. he actually talked to for me about 15 minutes.. I asked him how it was to be a Patriot.. he said demanding.. he said it's far more difficult than anything he'd every studied in college. N'Keal his problem was his attitude and he couldn't stay healthy.. bad mix in the NFL..

The Pats under BB.

Nothing will ever be worse than Kenneth Sims as the #1 overall pick.
Simms was ... Ugh... A bad pick because he never stood a chance living up to the first overall pick... That should have been a trade back pick... Instead of taking Simms, we shoulda grabbed Marcus Allen... Allen, Tippet, Weishuhn & Fred Marion in the same draft? That woulda been a grand slam

I saw Wheatley in a market basket one time.. very nice guy.. he actually talked to for me about 15 minutes.. I asked him how it was to be a Patriot.. he said demanding.. he said it's far more difficult than anything he'd every studied in college. N'Keal his problem was his attitude and he couldn't stay healthy.. bad mix in the NFL..
You met Ty Wheatley? How cool is that... Only Pats player I've ever had the pleasure of meeting was Dave Bavaro, sat next to him at a BC/Syracuse game ... Way back when Paul Pasqualoni was coaching the Orangemen

You met Ty Wheatley? How cool is that... Only Pats player I've ever had the pleasure of meeting was Dave Bavaro, sat next to him at a BC/Syracuse game ... Way back when Paul Pasqualoni was coaching the Orangemen
Oh yes Dave Bavaro! Yes he was a very nice guy. Very open and forthcoming it was 2009 when we drafted him!

Only if we had paid him more than we've ever paid for a WR - just under $20 million to franchise a WR in 2023.

Titans traded AJ, who got 4/100 with 57 guaranteed (and includes dead money after that to the tune of 13.5m in the void years).

Metcalf's on for 3/72 with 58 guaranteed.

Deebo's on for pretty much the same - 3/71.5 with 58 guaranteed.

People keep acting like the draft is a long-term, team-building solution. It's NOT nearly as big as it's being made out to be. After 4 years, you're going to have to pay market value for your picks.

If we had drafted Lamar Jackson, would we have a SB? Doubt it - he didn't get there with the Ravens' team that had more talent the last few years than the Pats. To keep him, we'd be paying him huge money now, which we could have done this off-season, right?

Other than the rare find who has an immediate impact, a good pick gives your 2 or 3 years on his rookie deal, then to keep him (Joe Thuney), you have to open the bank up.

Team control ain't what it used to be. The draft is important to find guys to keep things churning, but team-building in the salary cap era, particularly now with players catching up on how to play the system, requires lots of pieces from lots of places.

Which is also, by the way, why what BB and the Pats did was all the more incredible. Look at the old dynasties like Pittsburgh, San Fran and Dallas and you'll find pretty much the same corps of players front to back on the run.
Yes, And had Harry panned out that would have been a great thing. Becuase Mac would have a bona-fide #1 playmaker. I'll definitely agree I mean what made us able to do business as business has been done is Brady!

Having Brady was the equalizer to any draft bust during his era. A guy who constantly put the team first over his overall wants. When it came time to pay players we picked and choosed. Hey it's a business I understand. Ty law and branch both said looking in retrospect they wish they would have stayed as they were home grown talents.

I still no matter what wish we could have drafted LJ and kept him on the roster until he was ready.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back