Patriots Remain On Steeler Collision Course After Win Over Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Remain On Steeler Collision Course After Win Over Bills

Bob George

The Patriots conclude their two games in three weeks stint with Miami, visiting south Florida next Monday night. With Pittsburgh looming on the horizon, this will be more of a trap game than today was.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

from your mouth to God's ears

i have a feeling either cinci or the ravens will beat the steelers

tenor.gif

It would take a major collapse for the winner of NE-Pit to NOT have HFA throughout. Not including their game with each other, NE has 3 games left and Pit has 4. Whoever wins NE-Pit has a magic number of 2 with 7 total games remaining for the 2 teams.

It would take a major collapse for the winner of NE-Pit to NOT have HFA throughout. Not including their game with each other, NE has 3 games left and Pit has 4. Whoever wins NE-Pit has a magic number of 2 with 7 total games remaining for the 2 teams.
Your point is the same, but the Pats are 10-2 with four games remaining. Pittsburgh has five left since they still have to play tomorrow night.

Your point is the same, but the Pats are 10-2 with four games remaining. Pittsburgh has five left since they still have to play tomorrow night.
Yes that’s why I put “not including their game with each other, NE has 3 games left and Pit has 4.”

While I was right about the number of games each team has left, I do need to clarify something about the magic number. I was looking at it from a standpoint of the Patriots. Their magic number is “2 games PLUS beat Steelers.” Pittsburgh’s magic number is “3 games PLUS beat NE”. That is why it would take quite a collapse for the winner of NE-Pit to NOT get HFA.

New England pretty much has a bye locked up already and only HFA is really left at stake, with the upcoming showdown in Pittsburgh.

The only possible way the Pats would slip into the third seed is if Jacksonville wins out completely and the Patriots lose two of the four remaining games.

But Jacksonville still has to face Seattle at home and Tennessee on the road, which could be a potential division-winning game, so a single loss for them looks likely.

Yes that’s why I put “not including their game with each other, NE has 3 games left and Pit has 4.”

While I was right about the number of games each team has left, I do need to clarify something about the magic number. I was looking at it from a standpoint of the Patriots. Their magic number is “2 games PLUS beat Steelers.” Pittsburgh’s magic number is “3 games PLUS beat NE”. That is why it would take quite a collapse for the winner of NE-Pit to NOT get HFA.
Sorry for reading past that, man. My bad.

New England pretty much has a bye locked up already and only HFA is really left at stake, with the upcoming showdown in Pittsburgh.

The only possible way the Pats would slip into the third seed is if Jacksonville wins out completely and the Patriots lose two of the four remaining games.

But Jacksonville still has to face Seattle at home and Tennessee on the road, which could be a potential division-winning game, so a single loss for them looks likely.

Currently the Patriots can lose no more than 1 game to lock up the Bye. With a Pitt in Pitt game in 2 weeks, getting that 1 loss is a quite real possibility. And while I would assume we will take care of business against the other 3 games vs Bills, Mia, Jets -- end of season intra division unusual outcomes is not out of the question by any stretch. So while chances are notably favorable I wouldn't call the bye as pretty much being locked up just quite yet :).

On seeding and the Jags:
#1 is the obvious top prize for sure and I think the Patriots will find a way to beat Pitt but, regardless of that outcome, if the Seahawks beat the Jags next weekend our week 17 game v Jets becomes distinctly closer to being an irrelevant outcome. Whether win or lose at Pitt, the 1-2 seeding will very very likely be locked at the end of week 16 games. What a good thing if our week 17 is rest for the chronic injuries as well as the start of playoff prep play calling.
So as nauseating as it is we should all be rooting for Petey's Dragons to beat the Jags (of course if the Ravens beat Pitt next weekend it throws this whole week 16 seeding lock scenario into uncertainty. Under this scenario if the Patriots lose to Pitt then the #1 stays unlocked until week 17. If the Patriots beat Pitt, right then we are locked at #1 with week 16 and 17 being irrelevant outcomes).

Currently the Patriots can lose no more than 1 game to lock up the Bye. With a Pitt in Pitt game in 2 weeks, getting that 1 loss is a quite real possibility. And while I would assume we will take care of business against the other 3 games vs Bills, Mia, Jets -- end of season intra division unusual outcomes is not out of the question by any stretch. So while chances are notably favorable I wouldn't call the bye as pretty much being locked up just quite yet :).

On seeding and the Jags:
#1 is the obvious top prize for sure and I think the Patriots will find a way to beat Pitt but, regardless of that outcome, if the Seahawks beat the Jags next weekend our week 17 game v Jets becomes distinctly closer to being an irrelevant outcome. Whether win or lose at Pitt, the 1-2 seeding will very very likely be locked at the end of week 16 games. What a good thing if our week 17 is rest for the chronic injuries as well as the start of playoff prep play calling.
So as nauseating as it is we should all be rooting for Petey's Dragons to beat the Jags (of course if the Ravens beat Pitt next weekend it throws this whole week 16 seeding lock scenario into uncertainty. Under this scenario if the Patriots lose to Pitt then the #1 stays unlocked until week 17. If the Patriots beat Pitt, right then we are locked at #1 with week 16 and 17 being irrelevant outcomes).

For sure, if we take care of business in our next two games and PIT loses even 1 of their next 2 @CIN and vs BAL, we can lock up the #1 seed by the end of week 15. This would be the most ideal scenario both in terms of seeding and rest.

Slow the **** down there, Tomlin.

This Steelers squad has barely squeaked by the Rodgersless Packers and Luckless Colts. You can't just hand them two division wins against a somewhat competitive Bengals team in Cincy and the Ravens, who have won 4 of their last 5.

The Steelers beat the Lions by 5; the Ravens just smoked them by 24. It doesn't mean anything other than these Ravens are playing their best ball of the season. So you can't just scribble a W on the board and move on.

I would not be surprised at all to see them drop the ball as usual in at least one of those games. It certainly won't be a cakewalk. And it would be classic Pittsburgh (and Tomlin) to talk the talk while falling flat on their face trying to walk the walk.

I don't think Tomlin is focused on this game, his mind is on the Patriots..

"In your head, in your head
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie
What's in your head, in your head
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie, oh"

While there's a chance that the Bengals show up tonight in place of the Bungles, between the Steelers' arrogance and the fact that the Ravens seem to have finally gotten their engine revving, I think that game may be more likely the ball-deflater for Tomlin and crew.

Bengals beat those pukes tomorrow night. Sit back and enjoy it...;)
better yet, Steelers lose both Bengals and Ravens, we beat Miami... then when we beat the Steelers it is to clinch everything the regular season gives you.

Slow the **** down there, Tomlin.

This Steelers squad has barely squeaked by the Rodgersless Packers and Luckless Colts. You can't just hand them two division wins against a somewhat competitive Bengals team in Cincy and the Ravens, who have won 4 of their last 5.

The Steelers beat the Lions by 5; the Ravens just smoked them by 24. It doesn't mean anything other than these Ravens are playing their best ball of the season. So you can't just scribble a W on the board and move on.

I would not be surprised at all to see them drop the ball as usual in at least one of those games. It certainly won't be a cakewalk. And it would be classic Pittsburgh (and Tomlin) to talk the talk while falling flat on their face trying to walk the walk.
You are what your record says you are. IIRC, Patriots had a couple squeakers of their own earlier this season.

You are what your record says you are. IIRC, Patriots had a couple squeakers of their own earlier this season.

That's fine. But they're not 11-2. And neither are we. You can't just give them those two division games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST