PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Remain On Steeler Collision Course After Win Over Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine. But they're not 11-2. And neither are we. You can't just give them those two division games.
I am not “giving” anybody anything. I pointed out the scenarios for each team to win HFA based on who wins the NE-Pit game. I pointed out how, mathematically speaking, it would take a big collapse for the NE-Pit winner to blow HFA.

I don’t see how that statement is even remotely controversial, but I guess some people just have to disagree.

It would take a major collapse for the winner of NE-Pit to NOT have HFA throughout. Not including their game with each other, NE has 3 games left and Pit has 4. Whoever wins NE-Pit has a magic number of 2 with 7 total games remaining for the 2 teams.
Put another way if the patriots win they would have to lose every other game left and Pitt would have to win every other game left. Virtually impossible.

If Pitt wins they would have to lose 2 of their other 3 and the pats otherwise win out. Realistically they would need to lose tonight, but then this wouldn’t be so far fetched.

beating the Steelers is the big one......when it comes to the #1 seed, it's like winning 2 games
Exactly. Not only would they be a game up but if the NEP slip and they wind up tied, they own the head to head tiebreaker .

I am not “giving” anybody anything. I pointed out the scenarios for each team to win HFA based on who wins the NE-Pit game. I pointed out how, mathematically speaking, it would take a big collapse for the NE-Pit winner to blow HFA.

I don’t see how that statement is even remotely controversial, but I guess some people just have to disagree.

The scenario you pointed out relies on 3 games going the way we anticipate them going. Yes, if we win next week and Pittsburgh wins the next two, yes, you are correct. I'm not disputing the math part if those 3 things happen.

What I am saying is that those 3 things are not certain. This is a simple thing too, so I'm not sure why you're disputing it. That's what I mean by not "giving" them these 2 wins.

I could absolutely see the Bengals at home stealing one from the Steelers, especially if Antonio Brown doesn't play like some reports are suggesting.

I could absolutely see the Ravens playing their best ball of the season potentially beating the Steelers if they are looking ahead too far.

And if they lose both, then that matchup doesn't determine HFA. If one of those happens, it changes the logic as well.

And could we drop a game against the Dolphins in Miami, especially if we're without Gronk? Sure. We've lost 3 of our last 4 games there, even though all of those Dolphins teams have sucked.

So it's too early to say with any certainty that that game will decide HFA. In a few weeks, I might agree, but not today. And there's nothing controversial with that, unless you're a time traveller who knows with absolute certainty how those 3 games will turn out.

beating the Steelers is the big one......when it comes to the #1 seed, it's like winning 2 games

I agree. I'm just not ready to crown their asses at 11-2 yet is all.

I feel great about the matchup. Gotta find a way to give cooks the ball a little more. Seems like the bills did a good job of him being a non factor.

The scenario you pointed out relies on 3 games going the way we anticipate them going. Yes, if we win next week and Pittsburgh wins the next two, yes, you are correct. I'm not disputing the math part if those 3 things happen.
My scenarios haven't relied on anything. That is why I gave a magic number. A magic number, by definition, means "our team wins OR their team loses."
So it's too early to say with any certainty that that game will decide HFA. In a few weeks, I might agree, but not today. And there's nothing controversial with that, unless you're a time traveller who knows with absolute certainty how those 3 games will turn out.
Where did I say anything with any certainty? I think you just don't understand the concept of what "magic number" means. Granted, it is a term you hear far more in baseball than in football, but it still applies here.

And while nothing is certain, I'll gladly wager any amount of money that the winner of NE-Pit takes HFA throughout.

My scenarios haven't relied on anything. That is why I gave a magic number. A magic number, by definition, means "our team wins OR their team loses."
Where did I say anything with any certainty? I think you just don't understand the concept of what "magic number" means. Granted, it is a term you hear far more in baseball than in football, but it still applies here.

And while nothing is certain, I'll gladly wager any amount of money that the winner of NE-Pit takes HFA throughout.

I understand the concept of the magic number. This isn't voodoo. And the winner had the inside track to HFA, sure. But we don't know that the magic number is 2. This is just a simple fact.

Let's say Pittsburgh loses one of their division games, then loses to us. The magic number is 0 because they can't win HFA. Or they win their next two games and we lose to Miami, then to Pittsburgh, it is over by the same logic.

The magic number is dependent on things that haven't been determined yet. You're making way too much out of this very basic concept.

Pitt is about to lose the next 2 games and make the one with the Pats nearly meaningless. The Patriots will beat them anyway. Pats will have the bye locked up with at least 1 week to spare and maybe 2 if Seattle beats the Jags (it might be 2 anyway).

Then the debate will be how long do we play our starters.

I don't mind if the Ravens and Bengals don't beat the Steelers so long as they beat them up real good.

I don't trust the bungles tonight. The squealers have been one of the luckiest teams in the league this year.

I understand the concept of the magic number.
I don't think you do.
But we don't know that the magic number is 2. This is just a simple fact.
The Patriots magic number is 2 PLUS a victory over Pittsburgh. That is just a simple fact. In other words, IF NE beats Pittsburgh, we need 2 other NE wins or Pittsburgh losses in the 7 other remaining games those 2 teams have.
Let's say Pittsburgh loses one of their division games, then loses to us. The magic number is 0 because they can't win HFA.
Not true. If Pittsburgh loses one of their division games and loses to NE, NE's magic number would be at 1 because they would still need another win (or Pittsburgh loss).

In your scenario, NE could still finish 11-5. Granted it would take a monumental collapse by NE, but that is pretty much the point I am making.
Or they win their next two games and we lose to Miami, then to Pittsburgh, it is over by the same logic.
Pittsburgh's magic number is 3 PLUS a victory over NE. If they win their next 2 games, then beat us, and we lose to Miami then yes, HFA is over.
The magic number is dependent on things that haven't been determined yet.
No ****, that's kind of the point. A magic number tells us what has to happen in order to win the division or, in this case, HFA. Obviously there are 8 total games involving NE and/or Pittsburgh which haven't been determined yet.
You're making way too much out of this very basic concept.
It is obvious you don't understand the situation based on your above comment about Pittsburgh losing 1 division game AND losing to us clinches it. It doesn't.

Your own confusion on this matter proves why I am saying the things I am saying:

NE's magic number is 2 PLUS a win over Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh's magic number is 3 PLUS a win over NE.

It's really not as complicated as you're making it out to be.

I don't think you do.
The Patriots magic number is 2 PLUS a victory over Pittsburgh. That is just a simple fact. In other words, IF NE beats Pittsburgh, we need 2 other NE wins or Pittsburgh losses in the 7 other remaining games those 2 teams have.
Not true. If Pittsburgh loses one of their division games and loses to NE, NE's magic number would be at 1 because they would still need another win (or Pittsburgh loss).

In your scenario, NE could still finish 11-5. Granted it would take a monumental collapse by NE, but that is pretty much the point I am making.
Pittsburgh's magic number is 3 PLUS a victory over NE. If they win their next 2 games, then beat us, and we lose to Miami then yes, HFA is over.
No ****, that's kind of the point. A magic number tells us what has to happen in order to win the division or, in this case, HFA. Obviously there are 8 total games involving NE and/or Pittsburgh which haven't been determined yet.
It is obvious you don't understand the situation based on your above comment about Pittsburgh losing 1 division game AND losing to us clinches it. It doesn't.

Your own confusion on this matter proves why I am saying the things I am saying:

NE's magic number is 2 PLUS a win over Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh's magic number is 3 PLUS a win over NE.

It's really not as complicated as you're making it out to be.

I think I figured out what is going on. Your original post was confusing and wrong, but you issued a clarification to someone else.

This is what you originally wrote:

It would take a major collapse for the winner of NE-Pit to NOT have HFA throughout. Not including their game with each other, NE has 3 games left and Pit has 4. Whoever wins NE-Pit has a magic number of 2 with 7 total games remaining for the 2 teams.

And that simply wasn't true. If Pittsburgh lost their games leading into the match, it wouldn't take a major collapse to lose HFA. But with your clarification that I now read, I get what you're saying, even though it's a weird way to say it. Most people would just refer to it being a two-game advantage because of the tie-breaker, which has been repeated ad-nauseum in the NFC when reviewing the playoff scenarios.

Here's the clarification that I didn't see because it wasn't for me:

Yes that’s why I put “not including their game with each other, NE has 3 games left and Pit has 4.”

While I was right about the number of games each team has left, I do need to clarify something about the magic number. I was looking at it from a standpoint of the Patriots. Their magic number is “2 games PLUS beat Steelers.” Pittsburgh’s magic number is “3 games PLUS beat NE”. That is why it would take quite a collapse for the winner of NE-Pit to NOT get HFA.

So that explains why you're saying things that make no sense, and why what I'm saying is making no sense to you. Time to move on and cheer for the Bengals.

The NFL (refs) made sure to keep this match up relevant. The officiating in that game last night was atrocious.

As I said last night, they need this game to help pick up their ratings. Had the Steelers lost, the game would have lost some of it's luster.

Someone posted a pretty good clip of an anti Steelers video a few months ago...does anyone still have it? Or know where to find it? It was comedic gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST