PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Brandon Lloyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots will release Brandon Lloyd

Am I lost? Lloyd is a good #2/#3 WR, why wouldn't a team offer him 2-3 million a year, he can't be that much of a headcase.

I think he's gone for good IMO.

900+ yds is not too bad for those who think he was bad.

BTW, he was willing to restructure but maybe he waited too long.

Patriots will release Brandon Lloyd

What conclusion was I jumping toward?

The one that I was being confrontational and you should become defensive.. Because I wasn't and you shouldn't I was making a general statement.

3 TE set with 2 WR who play slot roles like Amendola and Sanders. Throw deep seem routes to the TE's throw underneath to the WR and you have 3 TE's out in front blocking. Mix in Jones as a X receiver from time to time.

Every defensive coordinator is salivating at the thought of that being our primary offensive formation. Funnel all coverage to the middle of the field, and man up the two outside guys. Nobody in the league is scared of getting beat deep by Sanders and Jones. Did either of them scare you when we played the Bills or Steelers? Basically you're suggesting the same philosophy that was shut down the last two years in the playoffs. We need outside receivers to prevent the defense from keeping all of their coverage in the middle of the field. We have not had that for years.

The team probably DID offer Lloyd 2-3 million a year (old salaries, no bonus). Lloyd didn't accept. This may be deja vu all over again. Lloyd will likely sign elsewhere at 2-3 million a year. And we will again argue about whose fault it was.

Who'll argue about Lloyd on here? not me for sure...good riddins to bad rubbish.

I'd point out that the only time WR struggled to grasp the system were when O'Brien was the OC when JM has been here we've integrated new WR's without much issue. Also point out Gronk and AH had very productive seasons receiving the football as rookies.

McDaniels have had more success, but he had some of his own failures. I hope the Galloways, Tates, Prices, etc. of the worlds were more to do with O/Brien's tutelage than Belichick's and his staff's ability to evaluate talent.

I think they trade for Welker.

BTW, he was willing to restructure but maybe he waited too long.

My guess is he wasn't willing to restructure enough. Chris Gasper said on the radio today that he felt his agent feels that he can get elsewhere than what the Pats wanted Lloyd to trim his salary to. My guess they wanted him to give up the bonus all together and play under the $1.9 million base. Which he can get elsewhere.

BB's approach to free agency is an old approach, cut off your nose to spite your face. He did this in 2006 with his WRs and a couple of years ago with his safties.

Welcome back Jules ( I hope)

That's the point my friend the Dink and dunk approach doesn't win SB's anymore.

The Pats were one lucky catch (or any one of two dropped interceptions) and one dropped ball by Welker away from winning two Super Bowls in the last five years. One of those teams had the "dink and dunk" approach (or what you consider a dink and dunk approach).

But even then, the "dink and dunk" approach has not been used by the Pats since 2006. To call the Pats' offense the last few years a dink and dunk offense is not really looking at it. They don't throw deep a lot, but it isn't all screens, quick slants, and other short routes like early in the Pats' career.

I didn't really feel like 900+ yards, though, did it? He had a small number of outstanding games and made some acrobatic sideline catches that made you shake your head but he disappeared in many games.

Before we go crazy over his release, let's see what the WR corps looks like in the end. I assure you that it won't be Amendola, Jones and Slater.

Last edited:

BB's approach to free agency is an old approach, cut off your nose to spite your face. He did this in 2006 with his WRs and a couple of years ago with his safties.

Belichick in 2006 was forced by the league to trade Branch. Branch wasn't a free agent. He approached free agency assuming Branch would be in the fold. If he knew how the outcome was going to turn out, he would have traded Branch early in free agency and signed a legitimate #1 and probably kept Givens.

Also, the safeties situation was completely different too. Both Sanders and Meriweather were cut on cutdown days. Belichick expected both to be on the final 53 man roster. If he knew both would be gone, he would have approached free agency different.

The Pats are trying to revamp their receiving corp and approaching free agency much different than he did in 2006 and 2009 as the examples you point to. He is trying to replace Welker and Lloyd in free agency and possibly the draft. Rumor is he is trying to trade for a legitimate #1 WR. He wasn't prepared for the loss of Branch, Meriweather, and Sanders when they were released/traded in late August or early September.

Every defensive coordinator is salivating at the thought of that being our primary offensive formation. Funnel all coverage to the middle of the field, and man up the two outside guys. Nobody in the league is scared of getting beat deep by Sanders and Jones. Did either of them scare you when we played the Bills or Steelers? Basically you're suggesting the same philosophy that was shut down the last two years in the playoffs. We need outside receivers to prevent the defense from keeping all of their coverage in the middle of the field. We have not had that for years.

To be completely honest with you I'd be far more scared of Jones (4.46 40) and Emmanuel Sanders (4.41 40) than I would of been of Lloyd, Branch or Welker beating me deep.

Who is Brady going to throw to? Even if we sign Sanders, he' a third WR on a mediocre passing team. As it stands right now, this WR crew is worse than 06. Am I the only person who thought Lloyd was productive last year? The guy nearly had 1000 yards. I can't imagine Brady envisioned this receiving core when he reworked his deal.

Amendola - unproven china doll
Donald Jones - unproductive Bills reject
Slater - should be only on special teams
Gronk - finished last two years hurt
Hernandez - injury prone

I honestly think there are plenty of Division 1 secondaries that could check this core.

Hilarious because obvious troll was totally ignored. Great job Patsfans posters.

Bedard says Lloyd could be re-signed if Lloyd doesn't find a market for himself.

Patriots WR Brandon Lloyd will be released, but he could return. Maybe even quickly. Can't see how there's any market for him.

https://twitter.com/GregABedard/status/313010069723820032

Lloyd could be back in a week for the veteran minimum. Looks like it could be another player and his agent misjudging the market.

Why? He's a below avg WR. We already have those.

Luckily we have an above average QB, above average TE's and above average RB's..

Let us keep your name in a stickie. We should delete ANY post you make about production from our wide receiver of the day. Lloyd had over 900 yards. I don't know what that market will bring him. But I do know that there will be many times this season when we wished that we had signed Lloyd.

And please call each of our top wide receivers who doesn't have 900 yards rubbish. That is likely to be ALL of them.

Who'll argue about Lloyd on here? not me for sure...good riddins to bad rubbish.

I hate this move, this totally sucks.

Almost everyone is expecting the pats to put an offer sheet in for sanders...they just don't know when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes