PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release All-Dynasty team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where the hell is Branch? How does a Super Bowl MVP get left out? I hear the Pats are saying it was a mistake. Pats never won a chip with Moss, swap ‘em and call it a day.
Going by the slots available in the exercise, I’d be interested who you would take out to fit Branch in there?

If you had low tenure with the team you better of done something extra special with that team. In the case with Moss he broke the all time single season TD record by a wr that still stands today. He cemented his legacy as well as added to Brady’s with just that one season.

Going by the slots available in the exercise, I’d be interested who you would take out to fit Branch in there?

If you had low tenure with the team you better of done something extra special with that team. In the case with Moss he broke the all time single season TD record by a wr that still stands today. He cemented his legacy as well as added to Brady’s with just that one season.
Why would anyone need to get taken out to add Branch? They put 2 long snappers and 2 kickoff returners among 43 total players. Leaving out Branch is astonishing.

Branch was the best WR. Take out whoever you want, he should be in there. Moss will always be a one trick pony to me, he would be my first drop. Branch was better than Troy. Welker was also limited, great at what he did. I would leave Edelman in.

Patriots have unveiled their all-dynasty team.

A few minor surprises or at least close calls:

• Graham over Watson
  • Phifer over Mayo is the biggest surprise to me; I don't understand that one
  • Vinatieri over Gostkowski (I think that one is close anyway, especially with longevity as a factor)
  • One-year guys left off. Revis (first team all-pro), Patterson (who was certainly a better KR than Hobbs or Johnson)

I would have rather had them make a 53 man roster that reasonably fits together the normal depth chart. Example: Edelman uses two spots here as a wide receiver and punt returner while Branch and Amendola miss out entirely. There is more depth at some positions (offensive guard, center, defensive line, linebacker) and guys deserving to make it who are snubbed, but then you have Ellis Hobbs and Bethel Johnson on the team, both of whom shouldn't even be mentioned.

2 slots allocated for kickoff returner and 2 slots allocated for long snappers, yet only 3 slots for all of the great defensive linemen over the last 20 years. Come on...

I always thought Mayo was a little overrated. Phifer was a long time ago but he could do many things and was a key piece to great defenses. Stephen Neal over Andruzzi. I liked Joe but never thought of him as an all timer.

Branch was the best WR. Take out whoever you want, he should be in there. Moss will always be a one trick pony to me, he would be my first drop. Branch was better than Troy. Welker was also limited, great at what he did. I would leave Edelman in.

Huge props for his super bowl performance but I’m not taking any of those out for Branch. 4 seasons, 78 receptions and 5 tds was his best totals. Had he stayed we’d be talking a different story because Tom Brady evolved into a monster QB.

Short term he got the respect and money he thought he deserved when he left. Long term he lost out on more money down the road and all the stats plus possible superbowl wins. Anyone think he would of made the difference vs the Colts in 06? I absolutely do.

This all could of been avoided by just adding another slot for WR.

Moss had 50 TDs and 3900 yards in 52 games for the Pats. He also caught what could have been the game winning TD in the Super Bowl if the defense could have held on. Branch (89 games 4300 yards and 24 TD's) was obviously immense in his first 2 Super Bowls and if they added a 5th spot he's be deserving but not over any of the 4 selected.

I think we had a free SB win against the Bears if Branch had stayed.

I would choose peak play as the deciding factor in a few of the close calls.

Dion Lewis > James White (Lewis is the superior dual threat but his tenure was shorter and White produced at key moments so I can understand the pick even if I disagree with it)

Jerod Mayo > Roman Phifer (did they hold it against Mayo for no rings?)

Lawyer Milloy > Patrick Chung

Cordarelle Patterson should have been the KR as well.

Obviously the murderer would be there if he wasn't a murderer.
Lewis was our player less than 2 seasons worth of games and was only good for half of 15 and then 17. White was here for 3 SB wins, was a borderline SB MVP, and a fantastic dual threat.... much more production receiving that Lewis. He was a lesser rusher but that’s it. I would even put Blount over Lewis.

Likewise Milloy only was here for the dynasty from the 01 SB up through 2002 where we missed the playoffs. Chung has been here 2009-2019 outside of 2013. So he played in 5 SB’s with us and basically the entire post injury era for Brady. I have to give it to Chung. He was more meaningful for the dynasty.

I agree with others that you can't put Ted Washington on because it was only one year but I'd agree nobody had a better season on the DL. Seymour might have had one as good. He was dominant. The 4 down series against the Colts in the regular season and the SB against Carolina in particular he was a force of nature.

Moss had 50 TDs and 3900 yards in 52 games for the Pats. He also caught what could have been the game winning TD in the Super Bowl if the defense could have held on. Branch (89 games 4300 yards and 24 TD's) was obviously immense in his first 2 Super Bowls and if they added a 5th spot he's be deserving but not over any of the 4 selected.

No need to take anyone out. There's no rhyme or reason to the final number of players (43?) or the number of players they used at many positions (double dip long snappers?). So why would anyone need to be taken out to include someone who clearly belongs?

Comparison of raw numbers at WR with the Patriots from 2000-2019 for this 'Dynasty Team'.
Troy Brown's numbers are just for this time period, but the rankings are for his full career.
Rankings include players who were RBs and TEs as well as WRs.

Receiving Yards (minimum 1,000 yards)
7,459 - Wes Welker (3rd all-time, 2nd among WRs)
6,809 - Julian Edelman (#4/#3)
4,539 - Troy Brown (#5/#4; 6,366 overall)
4,297 - Deion Branch (#11/#9)
3,904 - Randy Moss (#12/#10)
2,513 - David Patten (#22/#17)
2,383 - Danny Amendola (#26/#19)
2,214 - David Givens (#29/#20)
1,651 - Chris Hogan (#38/#24)
1,468 - Brandon LaFell (#41/#27)
1,082 - Brandin Cooks (#49/#29)
1,007 - Josh Gordon (#52/#31)

Receptions (minimum 100 catches)
672 - Wes Welker (1st all-time, 1st among WRs)
619 - Julian Edelman (2nd/2nd)
420 - Troy Brown (3rd/3rd; 557 overall)
328 - Deion Branch (#11/#7)
259 - Randy Moss (#15/#10)
230 - Danny Amendola (#16/#11)
165 - David Patten (#29/#18)
158 - David Givens (#31/#19)
111 - Brandon LaFell (#42/#24)
107 - Chris Hogan (#46/#26)

Receiving Touchdowns (minimum 10)
50 - Randy Moss (3rd all-time, 2nd among WRs)
37 - Wes Welker (#8/#6)
36 - Julian Edelman (#9/#7)
31 - Troy Brown (#10/#8)
24 - Deion Branch (#13/#9)
16 - David Patten (#23/#14)
12 - Danny Amendola (#33/#20)
12 - David Givens (#33/#20)
12 - Chris Hogan (#33/#20)

Playoff Receiving Stats
Julian Edelman - 118 rcpt, 1,442 yards, 5 TD, 12.2 ypc, 19 games; plus for The Catch
Deion Branch - 56 rcpt, 852 yards, 4 TD, 15.2 ypc, 14 games; plus for SB MVP
Danny Amendola - 57 rcpt, 709 yards, 6 TD, 12.4 ypc, 13 games; plus for 20-yard pass completion
Wes Welker - 69 rcpt, 686 yards, 4 TD, 9.9 ypc, 9 games; minus for The Non-Catch
Troy Brown - 58 rcpt, 694 yards, 2 TD, 12.0 ypc, 14 games; plus for ST vs Pitt, fumble recovery vs SD, etc.
Chris Hogan - 34 rcpt, 542 yards, 4 TD, 15.9 ypc, 9 games; plus for games vs Pitt & Phil (308 yards, 3 TD)
David Givens - 35 rcpt, 324 yards, 7 TD, 9.3 ypc, 8 games; plus for amazing 1:5 TD-reception ratio
David Patten - 15 rcpt, 174 yards, 2 TD, 11.6 ypc, 6 games; plus for playing with Kurt Warner in the Arena League
Randy Moss - 12 rcpt, 142 yards, 1 TD, 11.8 ypc, 4 games; plus for what should have been SB winning TD

Mo Lewis should get an honorary Patriots Hall of Fame induction. No?

Going by the thread title alone - Damn, that BB is a cold hearted SOB

I chuckled a little at the thought of the terms "dynasty team" and "Bethel & Hobbs" being linked together... I'm sure patsans posters old & new could imagine great teams w/o either.

Bethel Johnson’s play @Indy in the Willie McGinnest goal line play was pivotal in field position and scoring.
If we lose that game we probably don’t have home-field and are visiting Indianapolis rather than hosting them in a cold January playoff game. Maybe we don’t win the Super Bowl then maybe we don’t win the Super Bowl then?

Bethel Johnson’s play @Indy in the Willie McGinnest goal line play was pivotal in field position and scoring.
If we lose that game we probably don’t have home-field and are visiting Indianapolis rather than hosting them in a cold January playoff game. Maybe we don’t win the Super Bowl then maybe we don’t win the Super Bowl then?
NFL history is littered with examples of an unknown coming up big for one game, one play...

But, I was mostly referring to the hate the posters have for players they hope are going to be great and end up “ok, or worse” (such as these two).

While I understand the impact of STs (BB loves them), I can’t understand a list of alltime greats including Hobbs and Bethel J. I’d have just chosen STs and plugged in a few of the best candidates.

I really think they missed putting Deion Branch on there. A WR we developed, who won a Super Bowl MVP? Come on!

So does this mean the dynasty is over?

I would put Amendola in over Welker and Moss. Guy was nails in the post-season.

Moss and Welker need to go.

Prereq is winning a SB.

As great as they were, they do not have rings. By definition a dynasty means they are #1 for a long time and been part of a championship.

Branch and DA need to be on.

All the others are nit-pick

Milloy over Chung

not close
My first thought when I saw the list. I remember being so excited for milloy and Harrison as the safeties, then milloy got traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down