PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots re-sign James Ferentz

Oh "Thanks Dad" is the honarary retiree @TC couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :)

Would absolutely prefer a rookie from college with higher ceiling than Thamksdad
Ferentz will likely not make the 53 man roster, and will be added after Game 1 or 2.

Belichick wants a center that he can trust. However, he is all for having development players in the 53 and on the Practice Squad.

You mean to tell me there is no one out there for a depth signing better than Ferentz. I do not believe it.

We haven't even hit actual free agency yet. So the pool of players to sign right now are guys that were under contract with the Patriots last year, or guys recently cut. It's not like they had their pick of every UFA and only signed Ferentz. You can do a lot worse with a 90 man roster spot than a multi-year vet who knows how your team works.

I don't know why I'm surprised at the reactions here... we do it every year. People forget that off season signings don't happen in the order of greatest need, or by greatest talent. You get a bunch of these small, depth signings first because they're super easy to hash out, and the Patriots actually have the rights to negotiate with them right now.

Signed for depth and motivation for Russey IMO. Maybe Ferentz is a good teacher…who knows. Starters don’t always have time for that.

I don't know why I'm surprised at the reactions here... we do it every year. People forget that off season signings don't happen in the order of greatest need, or by greatest talent. You get a bunch of these small, depth signings first because they're super easy to hash out, and the Patriots actually have the rights to negotiate with them right now.
Because if all of the practice reps and coaching and game experience he's gotten over the last 6 years had gone to 6 different UDFAs, I bet we'd have unearthed one decent backup out of the lot. At least there'd have been a chance, however much of a longshot you may consider it.

I have a boatload of suggestions:

how about free agents Matt Skura, Kyle Fuller, Garrett Bradbury, Will Hernandez, Nate Herbig
or any of the 4 6th round draft picks they have for a rookie like: Darian Dalcourt (ALA), Trevor Downing (Iowa State), Nick Samac (MSU)

Would absolutely prefer a rookie from college with higher ceiling than Thamksdad
You had one last year, Hines.

Because if all of the practice reps and coaching and game experience he's gotten over the last 6 years had gone to 6 different UDFAs, I bet we'd have unearthed one decent backup out of the lot. At least there'd have been a chance, however much of a longshot you may consider it.

If they had, don't you think that player would still be here? Seriously. They've signed NUMEROUS UDFA Centers over that time period with NONE sticking. One of the bigger UDFA names was Tyler Gauthier from the Miami Hurricanes. He couldn't beat out Ferentz for a spot.

Signed for depth and motivation for Russey IMO. Maybe Ferentz is a good teacher…who knows. Starters don’t always have time for that.
Greg Bedard reported during last season that Ferentz and Andrews were tasked with instructing their fellow offensive linemen because teaching was not Billy Yates strongpoint and the OL coach was also the OC and chief architect of the new football training facilities.

Greg Bedard reported during last season that Ferentz and Andrews were tasked with instructing their fellow offensive linemen because teaching was not Billy Yates strongpoint and the OL coach was also the OC and chief architect of the new football training facilities.
I hadn't heard that Yates had issues teaching.... But then, it IS Bedard making the claim..

What's the point of a position coach who can't teach?

So the nightmare continues of a guy who should be coaching with his dad at Iowa being brought back. The dude can’t physically match up with top tier nfl talent.

But he’s an Iowa kid. Dad has history with Bill.

Does this mean we draft Van Ness in the first round after a trade back this year?

What's the point of a position coach who can't teach?

Bingo.

#FireYatesToo

So the nightmare continues of a guy who should be coaching with his dad at Iowa being brought back. The dude can’t physically match up with top tier nfl talent.

But he’s an Iowa kid. Dad has history with Bill.

Does this mean we draft Van Ness in the first round after a trade back this year?

Nah, Billy only takes in Iowa's lousy players.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back