PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Predicted to Sign Former Pro Bowl Quarterback to Replace Tom Brady discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the rationale for a bridge quarterback. Seems like a bridge to nowhere. The Pats end up spending more on the QB position than they would by going with someone on a rookie contract and thus reduce the number of quality free agents they can sign. They don't get a full season as starter out of Stidham and therefore can't evaluate him going forward. Lastly, a mediocre quarterback is more likely to bring them in with something like an 8-8 record, making it less probable they can draft a stud with a high first round pick. If Brady leaves, go with Stidham. If he plays well, we have our future QB; if he flames out, we get a high first round pick and maybe the chance to draft someone who will fill Brady's shoes.

Last edited:
I don't understand the rationale for a bridge quarterback. Seems like a bridge to nowhere. The Pats end up spending more on the QB position than they would by going with someone on a rookie contract and thus reduce the number of quality free agents they can sign. They don't get a full season as starter out of Stidham and therefore can't evaluate him going forward. Lastly, a mediocre quarterback is more likely to bring them in with something like an 8-8 record, making it less probable they can draft a stud with a low first round pick. If Brady leaves, go with Stidham. If he plays well, we have our future QB; if he flames out, we get a low first round pick and maybe the chance to draft someone who will fill Brady's shoes.
I’m wondering if they’d draft another QB this year to compete with Stidham? Hopefully, we’ll never know.

I’m wondering if they’d draft another QB this year to compete with Stidham? Hopefully, we’ll never know.

We know a Brady acquiescence will cost the Pats in the long .

We know a Brady acquiescence will cost the Pats in the long .
Aside from our difference of opinion regarding whether or not Brady should stay, would you prefer to see another QB drafted to compete with Stidham?

It’s hard for me to envision a scenario where another notable QB isn’t brought in, whether that’s through the draft or a veteran bridge QB.

Guys, he's just actually NAMED "Bridge," bridge qb is not a position

I’m hoping to draft either Torque (construction noise) Lewith, or L’Carpetron Dookmarriot in the early rounds.

I'm feeling the name De'Ambergris for some reason.

Aside from our difference of opinion regarding whether or not Brady should stay, would you prefer to see another QB drafted to compete with Stidham?

It’s hard for me to envision a scenario where another notable QB isn’t brought in, whether that’s through the draft or a veteran bridge QB.

Competition is always healthy

Who would be a "notable" QB through the draft? Was Stidham one? I suppose a 1st round draft choice might qualify. But would Bill really draft someone to compete with Stidham to start in 2020, with no other choices on roster?

I would expect a veteran unless Brady comes back.

Who would be a "notable" QB through the draft? Was Stidham one? I suppose a 1st round draft choice might qualify. But would Bill really draft someone to compete with Stidham to start in 2020, with no other choices on roster?

I would expect a veteran unless Brady comes back.
Now we’re getting into the “bridge” QB convo again. :)

I'd prefer signing Brady but if they don't I'm on board with your take.
I'd prefer signing Brady but if they don't I'm jumping off the Tobin bridge and you guys are on your own.

Would rather give Stidham a shot & draft another QB. We can use the extra cap space to support the next QB.
I agree....give Stidham a shot with decent weapons and OL....save tons of cap room....best case scenario we have our next franchise QB....worst case scenario....We have a bad record and draft T Lawrence next year!!!! Just please don’t sign Andy Jag Dalton BB!!!!

I agree....give Stidham a shot with decent weapons and OL....save tons of cap room....best case scenario we have our next franchise QB....worst case scenario....We have a bad record and draft T Lawrence next year!!!! Just please don’t sign Andy Jag Dalton BB!!!!
No way we are dumb enough to sign Dalton

If you don't bring back Brady, and you're just looking for a transitory QB, why does Bridgewater sign on to that?

If you're looking for your QBOTF, Bridgewater has shown no signs of being that level of player.
Bridgewater's only 27. There's no reason he needs to be a 'transitory QB'.

Bridgewater's only 27. There's no reason he needs to be a 'transitory QB'.

He's not good enough to be a franchise QB for a team that wants to always be in the running for the Lombardi. That's a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes