PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots potential defensive changes (Russini)

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg

what the pats are doing is learning to play the best defense they can while spending next to no money on the front 7......Hightower is the only one who makes a top salary

In fact, between the 2 sides of the ball, half of the players are on relative rookie minimum deals

smells like they are planning on having the highest paid backup quarterback in the history of the NFL

Just hope they stop giving up those big pass plays. They will face a couple of high power offenses coming up.

If this be true, about the back up quarterback, which I doubt, I predict disaster

what the pats are doing is learning to play the best defense they can while spending next to no money on the front 7......Hightower is the only one who makes a top salary

In fact, between the 2 sides of the ball, half of the players are on relative rookie minimum deals

smells like they are planning on having the highest paid backup quarterback in the history of the NFL
Alan Branch is drawing a fairly decent paycheck too.

Just hope they stop giving up those big pass plays. They will face a couple of high power offenses coming up.
6 passing plays of more than 20+ yards, again. 3 of them topped 30 yards. This will need to be improved upon, quickly.

Honestly we go into next season having to more than Likely replace Butler.
And get more athletic at linebacker.
Tackle is a need as well.
I think we may look to improve at Punter and possibly replace Gost depending on how the rest of the year goes.
The Extra points are a concern.
If we shore up those spots there's no reason we aren't completely set for the next 2 to 4 years.
Cooks Dorsett and Hogan are nice receivers and if Edelman comes back like I know he can and we give Malcom Mitchell a robotic knee I have no issue going after only those positions in the draft and free agency.
Gilmore and Rowe are nice centerpieces for the secondary.
Mccourty is a borderline Hall of famer and Chung is a very good player.
Love the depth Harmon gives us and he can start in a pinch.
This team is set with the Arkansas connection on the ends and Butler and Valentine in the middle with Brown getting reps in there.
This team would absolutely dominate on defense with 2 more stud linebackers.
That needs to be the focus next offseason.

Honestly we go into next season having to more than Likely replace Butler.
And get more athletic at linebacker.
Tackle is a need as well.
I think we may look to improve at Punter and possibly replace Gost depending on how the rest of the year goes.
The Extra points are a concern.
If we shore up those spots there's no reason we aren't completely set for the next 2 to 4 years.
Cooks Dorsett and Hogan are nice receivers and if Edelman comes back like I know he can and we give Malcom Mitchell a robotic knee I have no issue going after only those positions in the draft and free agency.
Gilmore and Rowe are nice centerpieces for the secondary.
Mccourty is a borderline Hall of famer and Chung is a very good player.
Love the depth Harmon gives us and he can start in a pinch.
This team is set with the Arkansas connection on the ends and Butler and Valentine in the middle with Brown getting reps in there.
This team would absolutely dominate on defense with 2 more stud linebackers.
That needs to be the focus next offseason.

Have to look for more depth at D-line. Can't afford to count on Flowers and Wise for all the snaps and Flowers' deal is up after next year as well. McCourty and Chung are also aging so finding a successor for both is in the cards. Rowe's deal is also up after next year. Also depending on what happens at quarterback a youngster may be the first or second round pick.

Have to look for more depth at D-line. Can't afford to count on Flowers and Wise for all the snaps and Flowers' deal is up after next year as well. McCourty and Chung are also aging so finding a successor for both is in the cards. Rowe's deal is also up after next year. Also depending on what happens at quarterback a youngster may be the first or second round pick.
I think at this point you have to keep Grap just too good to let go.
Mccourty is the kind of player that can have longevity like Ed Reed or Charles Woodson.
Not concerned about Dmac and to a lesser degree Chung.
Depth at D line sure we should he able to reup Marsh if we choose to do so
Flowers is a staple and a franchise building block the future looks bright with Flowers Rivers and Wise.
Butler and Valentine can be entrenched.
So some depth at D line can be found in mid to late rounds.
I think Rowe is a priority to have size at corner vs Ellis Hobbs is a breath of fresh air.
I think Butler walks and we can draft some cornerbacks late or have a myriad of rookie free agent defensive backs.
Linebacker aside from the Brittle Hightower has no star power.
That needs to be the focus going into next season.
Where is a are Willie Mac?
Our Roosevelt Colvin?
We need to find 2 new starters at linebacker in my opinion.
If we do that and address the tackle position and retain either Lewis or Burkhead we will be set for a good while.

Have to pay our 20 million dollar a year back up QB If that is the plan.

ya...pretty big if, but if anything, BB is going to keep himself in a position to churn the roster as much as he wants to........

I agree, we gotta keep Jimmy G.
I'm a big Chung fan but I'm realistic he won't last forever. Harmon could take his spot but we still need another solid safety for those big nickel packages and stuff. Obviously linebacker is a huge need going forward.

Datone Jones?

Have to pay our 20 million dollar a year back up QB If that is the plan.

Jimmy G is Chomping at the Bit to play I don't see him being a back-up next year $20Mill or not. I see a Tag and Trade to Cleveland.

I think this is fixable as it's more of a communication breakdown than lack of talent. But I agree, it needs to be fixed soon and I think it will.

Jimmy G is Chomping at the Bit to play I don't see him being a back-up next year $20Mill or not. I see a Tag and Trade to Cleveland.
Cleveland drafted Kizer I don't think they are going to give up on him so fast.
Only way I believe Jimmy G gets traded is if Josh Mcdaniels is the one trading for him.
So I'd look at situations such as Arizona or NY Giants as a dark horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News