Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Known for holding a hard line, Patriots pay out $500K to Lawrence Guy

1. The Patriots have a reputation for being tough at the negotiating table, but they have also shown a more sensitive side in certain situations. What they did for defensive tackle Lawrence Guy on Feb. 15 is one example.

Similar to how the team adjusted the incentives in offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer's contract in 2014 to give him a better chance to earn them when circumstances changed, the Patriots rewarded the hard-working Guy with a $500,000 renegotiation signing bonus, per documents filed with the NFL Players Association (and first noted by Twitter follower @IanWhetstone).
The $500,000 renegotiation signing bonus was a result of Guy missing a $500,000 playing time incentive by less than 1 percent from this past season. Guy would have earned $500,000 if he played in 55 percent of the defensive snaps in 2017. He played 54.8 percent, in part because of a limited workload (27 of 59 plays) in the season finale against the Jets as the game was in hand and resting Guy -- who is a starter -- became more of a priority.

Does that go on the 2018 cap? If so, wonder if that means he's not getting cut. I don't think he should be cut, but too often nowadays you see those mid-level FA deals really turn out to be 1 year rentals.

Does that go on the 2018 cap? If so, wonder if that means he's not getting cut. I don't think he should be cut, but too often nowadays you see those mid-level FA deals really turn out to be 1 year rentals.
Guy wasn’t goin anywhere. From all reports I’ve read/heard he is liked in the locker room by the coaching staff and his team mates. He also progressed for us as the season wore on. I’m probably wrong, but wouldn’t it impact 2018 cap regardless of when it is technically applied? If it hits the 2017 books, that limits what we can carry over, and if it hits 2018, it limits base cap? Now, I wouldn’t be surprised if his role is changed and maybe reduced a bit this year. Give the man some more favorable matchups and much needed rest in a few games.

good pick up by bb. replaced sheard’s production even if playing a different role on the line.

good, stable 3-4 de/4-3 dt.

Don't think he was ever in danger of not going to camp next year. Would like to see them spend some FA dollars there though. Badly needed.

Steadily improved throughout the season

Cheap bas####s...
I thought BB was an a**hole, players hated him, and he doesn't pay anyone? The media tells me this must be fake news :)

It's nice that they ponied up, but let's not act as if they did anything particularly applause-worthy. They paid a guy who would have made his incentives if they hadn't sat him, for non-disciplinary, non "best chance to win" reasons, in a meaningless game.

I know it's the offseason, but this was over 2 freakin' snaps.

BB the GM blew it again. And here goes Bob spending like crazy. Can’t he try to be a little crafty with his wallet once in a while?

It's nice that they ponied up, but let's not act as if they did anything particularly applause-worthy. They paid a guy who would have made his incentives if they hadn't sat him, for non-disciplinary, non "best chance to win" reasons, in a meaningless game.

I know it's the offseason, but this was over 2 freakin' snaps.

I never said it was applause worthy, just making a joke. The 'media image' of BB would be him rubbing his hands with a grin a grin on his face at saving an extra $500K.

I never said it was applause worthy, just making a joke. The 'media image' of BB would be him rubbing his hands with a grin a grin on his face at saving an extra $500K.

Fair enough, and my apologies for misunderstanding your intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back