PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots new OC - Alex Van Pelt

he can always jump in as an emergency qb :D anyway, till we get good again it will be fun to try to root for an upset every week.

In Cinncy AVP worked under Zac Taylor who worked under McVay with the Rams.

In Cleveland AVP worked under Stefanski who worked with Gary Kubiak in Minnesota who worked with Mike Shannahan.

Basically, we got Shannahan and McVay.
I don't think so. At least from what we've gathered in the last few hours he runs a more old school style of the west coast offense. I don't think we'll be seeing exactly the McVay evolution of it. Doesn't mean it will be bad but not what you're expecting.

I don't think so. At least from what we've gathered in the last few hours he runs a more old school style of the west coast offense. I don't think we'll be seeing exactly the McVay evolution of it. Doesn't mean it will be bad but not what you're expecting.
He didn’t get to call the plays in Cleveland, maybe he wanted to be more creative?
How Van Pelt does Will greatly determine Mayo and Wolf’s first big move without Bill.

CLE had one of the top rushing offenses before all their injuries and Flacco going crazy w/ 340 avg ypg in their last 4 games. They ended at #12 (118.6 ypg). Pats were #26 (95.7 ypg).

There are many interesting RBs available in FAcy. Of course, this just makes the OL even more of a priority. Unfortunately, FAcy is not the place to find them since our own (Brown/Onwenu) are among the best.

Screenshot_20240201_215553_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20240201_215628_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20240201_215703_Firefox.jpg

At first glance I was annoyed, but as more and more inside info on the guy came out from local reporters, I’m starting to like the move. Plus someone with legit experience on the offensive side of the ball makes total sense for an otherwise young inexperienced coaching staff.

I was being facetious, you're right though it won't be the Rams offense. We still be a run first team I believe, so definitely not the Rams.

I am wondering now how many of our current lineman will be able to transition to an Outside Zone blocking scheme and if Mondre is adept at reading blocks and making quick enough decisions to hit the correct hole/opening.

Well having consumed any possible information about Van Pelt over the past several hours, positive and negative, it seems like a pretty good hire. We didn’t land one of those innovative McVay disciples but someone experienced with a system that should prove to be QB and WR friendly.

It’s the first indication to me that Wolfe & Mayo might be able to steer this operation in the right direction. Now we gotta nail the draft and free agency.

Reasons I like the hire/process:

1. Absolutely no one was expecting this. While everyone was busy complaining about lack of action and how nobody wanted to take the job, Mayo was being patient and working it. Good job remaining focused Jerod.

2. Mayo targeted guys that have similar philosophies to his own, that can all get along, and is obviously not looking for 'yes' men. So far, he's living up to his words.

3. Mayo said he'd hire the best people for the job and would listen to others perspectives regardless of age/color. He's living up to his word.

4. I especially like the total lack of leaks regarding this hire. That's a great sign.

5. Van Pelt has a lot of connections and can fill out his staff from various teams. This should happen fast.

6. Absolutely love the change in direction from mod. E-P to mod. WC. This should make it easier for QB and receivers to get on same page. Offense is a total redo in personnel anyway, so now we know who to target in FAcy/draft.

7. Thrilled that no Josh McDaniels, which means Mac is 100% out.

8. Mayo is keeping the strength of the team, the defense, the same by promoting Covington. Smart!

9. ST hire is unknown but just ridding us of Achord/Judge is a win-win.

This process has the feel of a private corporation approach instead of 'good ol boys,' 'friends/family' ******** approach. I like it.
A last point I forgot to mention.

10. Titles. Mayo mentioned ppl would have them. This complicates matters since they need to follow the Rooney rule, which creates delays but it didn't stop them. I like it. You know who's the one responsible and accountable instead of having to guess who's doing what. Mayo again comes through with what he said he would do.

I like it because as other posts and reports have suggested, he's actually the man behind the curtain that made it all work. It can't get much worse than what we've experienced the last two years.. so let it rip.
At this point all we can do is sit back & hope

I did hear a Felger & Holly reporter interview that said Kraft did not want to pay their first choice

I have been watching a ton of Stefanski/AVP browns running game and I thought this video might be helpful for understanding what we might see next year. I know it helped me allot, but maybe I am just a simpleton.

A last point I forgot to mention.

10. Titles. Mayo mentioned ppl would have them. This complicates matters since they need to follow the Rooney rule, which creates delays but it didn't stop them. I like it. You know who's the one responsible and accountable instead of having to guess who's doing what. Mayo again comes through with what he said he would do.
People were eager to shred Mayo once he hired Caley or McDaniels. Then he made a decent outside hire and they aren’t sure what to be mad about so it’s just aimless raging. Hope like hell this group can turn things around.

We already have the defense. If the offensive coaching is competent and unified we could find ourselves back as a wild card contending team sooner than expected. But we need to do really well with the draft and free agency, which I also expect to be improved with Belichick out the door.

I don’t buy us being 4-13 or worse next season. It will look better.

I have been watching a ton of Stefanski/AVP browns running game and I thought this video might be helpful for understanding what we might see next year. I know it helped me allot, but maybe I am just a simpleton.

Kareem Hunt is available in FAcy.

Our pseudo GM Wolf was with him in GB and Cle. They know each other and probably had previous conversations….speculation.

I hope Wolf played a role in his hiring, it would be a sign that he’s gaining influence within the organization, and I have been leaning more and more into the idea of him taking over as the next GM.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back