Patriots Need Dorsett and Allen To Finally Come Through In Second Half

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Need Dorsett and Allen To Finally Come Through In Second Half

Ian Logue

Bill Belichick typically says the same thing every year when discussing the team's potential success and who it's going to take to get there.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I've given up on Allen, but I am still hoping for Dorsett. It would be sweet if he and Cooks (who has been pretty good, but not spectacular) could really get going this week. Nothing irks me more when the Pats play in Denver (except a loss of course) than hearing that grating IN-COM-PLETE cheer from the crowd. Oooooh if we could silence that I would be very happy. Go Pats!

I've given up on Allen, but I am still hoping for Dorsett. It would be sweet if he and Cooks (who has been pretty good, but not spectacular) could really get going this week. Nothing irks me more when the Pats play in Denver (except a loss of course) than hearing that grating IN-COM-PLETE cheer from the crowd. Oooooh if we could silence that I would be very happy. Go Pats!
Agreed I have very little expectations for Allen at this point but Dorsett deserves the benefit of doubt that he could start contributing due to the fact he had no spring or TC with the team. Maybe the bye provided him a chance to regroup from his crash course and figure a few things out.

Not sure I get the "finally needs to come though" for Dorsett. He's been the 4th WR in an offense that's been running primarily 2 WR and 3 WR sets. He really hasn't had a chance to because he just isn't jumping Cooks, Hogan or Amendola on the depth chart.

In fact it could be argued the one time Dorsett had to step up, he kind of did.

Week 2 vs Saints. Amendola was out, Dorsett played about 50% of the snaps which is around the number of what Amendola has been averaging per game and he had 3 rec for 65 yards.

Dorsett has basically been in the spot Amendola was last year when it was mainly Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell.

Also really hurts the 4th WR on the depth chart when you are on a team that loves using their RBs in the passing game and has 3 RB that are good in the passing game.

I hold out hope for Allen!!!!

Disclaimer... I also regard myself...

giphy.gif

...as an excellent dancer. o_O

Phyllis Dorsett & Dwops Allen, both of whom are permanently infected with Indy Clots Disease, coming through for us in the season's second half?

Yeah, riiight...

Dorsett is far to small to be an NFL receiver. I'd love to be wrong on that one but the guy is stick.

As for Allen, Id love to salvage what they can out of that but every week it's looking more and more grim.

Dorsett gives the Patriots 3 receivers who can influence defenses.

Dorsett (Speed)
Cooks (Speed)
Gronk (Gronkness)

It's up to Dorsett to do a better job fighting for the ball.
It's up to McDaniels to use Dorsett as more than a deep speed decoy.
It's up to Brady to give Dorsett chances.

Time will tell how it works out.

Neither of these guys is suddenly going to become a reliable go-to target the way DA has, but there is reason for optimism. I expect that Allen will not go through the season without a catch, so at some point we will all be talking about his first catch. And it could be important because he can run the seam with some speed as well as girth, and he is now a stealth receiver.

As for Dorsett, he has yet to show the ball skills that are on his college tape but he is capable of winning on 50:50 balls and I think it is just a question of time and confidence. Cooks and Dorsett have scary speed and that gets them very comfortable cushions. If so, Josh ought to be able to call some short passes to get the ball in his hands (bubble screens, etc). And if Talib plays him close, he is capable of beating him deep (we all saw the Philly game). Hitting Cooks or Dorsett in some space takes advantage of their speed and is something Josh needs to do better. With Hogan out, he will see more opportunities and I think TB and Josh ought to be able to build some chemistry and confidence.

Dorsett is far to small to be an NFL receiver. I'd love to be wrong on that one but the guy is stick.
He is bigger than Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown and they seem to be working out pretty well. So I guess you are wrong.

Excited to see what he can do. Its tough to really evaluate to thi point since he is new and with hogan you have:
Gronk
Cooks
Hogan
Amendola
White

Who all are great targets so not a whole lot more to go around. With half a season in and hogan out he'll have his chance to get some

He is bigger than Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown and they seem to be working out pretty well. So I guess you are wrong.

Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio brown are both bigger than than Dorsett. I don't know of any 175 pound recievers in the NFL.

Dorsett’s Size is not the problem. It is his lack of courage! He does not like to be hit. He is easily intimidated!

We need to make him the master of the out route. He will make catches near the sideline because he can step out of bounds and not get hit.

Or we can run him on a ton of go routes and throw to running backs in the flat behind him. He clears it out and we let a high courage back catch and run.

Dorsett’s Size is not the problem. It is his lack of courage! He does not like to be hit. He is easily intimidated!

We need to make him the master of the out route. He will make catches near the sideline because he can step out of bounds and not get hit.

Or we can run him on a ton of go routes and throw to running backs in the flat behind him. He clears it out and we let a high courage back catch and run.
I am thinking that they should utilize his speed in a more effective manner. I’ve been pounding the table since day one for a bubble screen or two, as well as the jet sweep. I’d like to see some creativity. Obviously, he’s not going to be the next Tyreek Hill, but I think they should be targeting him on more than just the out + up routes.

Dorsett I think might have a shot, especially with Hogan out.

Allen can be most helpful by clearing out his locker for the arrival of Marty B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft