PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Zappe Was “In-Demand” Ahead of Return to Patriots

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Zappe Was “In-Demand” Ahead of Return to Patriots
Ian Logue
While many people felt like Bailey Zappe would garner some interest as he passed through the waiver wire, it sounds like there was indeed some competition for the second-year quarterback prior to him coming back to the Patriots.

The post Zappe Was “In-Demand” Ahead of Return to Patriots appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Yeah “in-demand” seems like a bit of an embellishment when zero out of 31 teams claimed him….

Bill Belichick Wink GIF by New England Patriots

Not a single offer beyond PS is what this really means

Yeah “in-demand” seems like a bit of an embellishment when zero out of 31 teams claimed him….
... and they still can right this very instant if they are willing to make a spot for him on their 53-man roster, which clearly they are not ...

What the report means is anywhere from zero to seven teams were willing to put him on their practice squad.

Given he chose to come back to NE, Zappe and his agent decided none of those opportunities were as promising as NE.

I don't know why the agent just doesn't put his name on the report, it's not like he's saying anything that needs confidentiality.

Perhaps cheap guy Belichick "sweetened the pot" to keep him on the practice squad...

my guess is Bill spoke to Zappe before he released him to let him know that it was a roster move and that he would put him on the practice squad, which is why Zappe turned down the other offers from the other teams to be on their practice squad. Bill probably told him he definitely has a role on this team as a back up quarterback given his play last year.

Such demand that none of the 32 teams wanted Bailey on their 53 man roster.

Perhaps cheap guy Belichick "sweetened the pot" to keep him on the practice squad...
If he did, it would be a violation of the CBA, since salaries on the PS are fixed.

Such demand that none of the 32 teams wanted Bailey on their 53 man roster.
True.

To be fair it's the worst time of the year to be asking for a spot on any team's 53, but still, this has to be humbling to Zappe.

If he really is viewed as a good backup or even potential starter, some other team could take him off our PS at any point in time and put him onto their 53. Maybe that other team has injuries at QB, or maybe that team decides their QB sucks, who knows. We shall see if something like that happens. Personally I doubt it. I think it's more likely that we decide we can upgrade at QB by putting someone else on our PS, than some other team deciding to make room for Zappe on their 53.

“In-demand,” you say?

1693489578387.jpeg

We need 2 QBs for every game, and a player can be elevated only 3 times, so as things stand it is very likely that Zappe ends up on the 53 in the near future. Even if they bring in a vet that player would need to learn the system, so unlikely that Zappe could be replaced anytime soon.

So the purpose of that piece is to try to hurry things along and have Bill recall him to the 53 sooner rather than later.

We need 2 QBs for every game, and a player can be elevated only 3 times, so as things stand it is very likely that Zappe ends up on the 53 in the near future. Even if they bring in a vet that player would need to learn the system, so unlikely that Zappe could be replaced anytime soon.

So the purpose of that piece is to try to hurry things along and have Bill recall him to the 53 sooner rather than later.
It does raise the question, why risk losing Zappe to another team if you're going to have to put him on the 53 for Week 4?

It suggests the answer is the team feels the risk of losing him and/or the impact of losing him is so low that it's lower than the benefit of having someone else as their 53rd player.

This can't be a happy thought for Zappe and/or his agent.

Maybe we can do the Alabama discount double check and get McCarron

I honestly do not believe Zappe played well enough for Bill to make any promises.
if a better option comes along, so be it.
I think Bill believed Zappe would come in and earn more snaps over the season with the 1's and make it a true one guy pushes the other, and they both are better for it competition. Bill did all he could to NOT name a starter, nor firmly get behind Mac. Zappe never seized the opportunity

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back