PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Monday 12/4/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
Thornton and Reagor are our healthy WR's.

Core team to keep and rebuild in '24.
D - Barmore, Judon, White, Jennings, Bentley, Tavai, Gonzo, Dugger, Peppers, J. Jones, M. Jones
O - Andrews, Onwenu, Strange, Henry, Bourne, Stevenson, Douglas, P. Brown, Sow,
Bubble - (Uche, Wise, Mills, Elliot, Gesicki, Boutte, Parker, McDermott, Mafi)
It's ridiculous that you have ROOKIES "on the bubble" when they really haven't been given a chance.
Wise has been one of the most consistently good D-linemen for the past 3 years. Yet, you think he's a bubble guy?

You also forgot Special teams:
Baringer, Cardona, Board, Ryland, Schooler,

Guys you didn't mention who are under contract for next year and SHOULD be brought back:
Isaiah Bolden, Jake Andrews, JaMychal Hasty, Marte Mapu, Tyquan Thornton, Godchaux, Shaun Wade, Sam Roberts,

Guys I'd restructure or CUT:
Parker, J.C. Jackson, Smith-Schuster, Guy, Phillips, Anderson

Pats need Bookend OTs. There isn't S**T in Free Agency next season for OT so that means the draft. @BaconGrundleCandy assures me that there is good value for OT for the 2nd & 3rd rounds. So I could go for Marvin Harrison Jr unless someone offers us 2 picks and then some for #2 or #3 (wherever the Pats end up). Mac Jones will likely be traded. TB, CLE, LAR, or SEA could be destinations for Mac.

ReSign: Bourne, Pharoah Brown, Jennings, Dugger, Onwenu, Henry.

Let Walk: Trent Brown, Josh Uche Reiff, Gesicki, Slater, Bryant, Mills, Cody Davis, Ty Mongomery, Reagor,

In free agency, I'd look for the following:
Free Safety Type that's an excellent field commander. Not sure if Xavier McKinney Fits this or not. Kamren Curl, Jordan Fuller, DeShon Elliott
RB to replace Zeke if he moves on. Akers, Elliot, Moss
IDL - Someone who is more of a 2-down NT. DJ Reader, Leki Fotu,
CB - Jaylon Johnson, Kendall Fuller, Herndon, Keisean Nixon,
TE - Dalton Schultz, Drew Sample
WR - (Only if they didn't take MHJ), Marquise Brown, Michael Pittman, Tee Higgins
QB - Josh Dobbs, Gardner Minshew, Baker Mayfield

People will notice I don't have EDGE down. that's because with Judon, White, Jennings, and Wise, I think the Pats have a solid rotation. I think adding via the draft might be the better option, though I haven't looked at the depth there.

Core team to keep and rebuild in '24.
D - Barmore, Judon, White, Jennings, Bentley, Tavai, Gonzo, Dugger, Peppers, J. Jones, M. Jones
O - Andrews, Onwenu, Strange, Henry, Bourne, Stevenson, Douglas, P. Brown, Sow,
Bubble - (Uche, Wise, Mills, Elliot, Gesicki, Boutte, Parker, McDermott, Mafi)
Agree with you on D

On O, Andrews and Strange need to be upgraded IMHO. For the TEs, I like Brown because he’s pretty decent catching and is the only TE currently on the roster who can block. Henry or Gesicki can stay, not both. Onwenu, Sow, Bourne, Stevenson, Douglas can all stay.

Bubble guys - Uche is a one trick pony who plays well once every 4-5 games, he can definitely be upgraded. Parker - no, Gesicki - see Henry note above. Wise, Mills, Zeke, McDermott can stay for the right price/role. Mafi and Boutte can also stay and develop.

Screw that. Don't bring him back and risk him injuring himself again. The season is over. The Pats are going into rebuild mode with a new GM and coaching staff. There is no upside to bring him back.
Totally agree…there’s ZERO reason to risk bringing Judon back this season

It's ridiculous that you have ROOKIES "on the bubble" when they really haven't been given a chance.
Wise has been one of the most consistently good D-linemen for the past 3 years. Yet, you think he's a bubble guy?

You also forgot Special teams:
Baringer, Cardona, Board, Ryland, Schooler,

Guys you didn't mention who are under contract for next year and SHOULD be brought back:
Isaiah Bolden, Jake Andrews, JaMychal Hasty, Marte Mapu, Tyquan Thornton, Godchaux, Shaun Wade, Sam Roberts,

Guys I'd restructure or CUT:
Parker, J.C. Jackson, Smith-Schuster, Guy, Phillips, Anderson

Pats need Bookend OTs. There isn't S**T in Free Agency next season for OT so that means the draft. @BaconGrundleCandy assures me that there is good value for OT for the 2nd & 3rd rounds. So I could go for Marvin Harrison Jr unless someone offers us 2 picks and then some for #2 or #3 (wherever the Pats end up). Mac Jones will likely be traded. TB, CLE, LAR, or SEA could be destinations for Mac.

ReSign: Bourne, Pharoah Brown, Jennings, Dugger, Onwenu, Henry.

Let Walk: Trent Brown, Josh Uche Reiff, Gesicki, Slater, Bryant, Mills, Cody Davis, Ty Mongomery, Reagor,

In free agency, I'd look for the following:
Free Safety Type that's an excellent field commander. Not sure if Xavier McKinney Fits this or not. Kamren Curl, Jordan Fuller, DeShon Elliott
RB to replace Zeke if he moves on. Akers, Elliot, Moss
IDL - Someone who is more of a 2-down NT. DJ Reader, Leki Fotu,
CB - Jaylon Johnson, Kendall Fuller, Herndon, Keisean Nixon,
TE - Dalton Schultz, Drew Sample
WR - (Only if they didn't take MHJ), Marquise Brown, Michael Pittman, Tee Higgins
QB - Josh Dobbs, Gardner Minshew, Baker Mayfield

People will notice I don't have EDGE down. that's because with Judon, White, Jennings, and Wise, I think the Pats have a solid rotation. I think adding via the draft might be the better option, though I haven't looked at the depth there.
Hey man. Great list. Only thing I disagree with is your plan at WR. Maybe I misunderstood but you have them getting rid of JJSS and Parker and only bringing in one WR to the fold. I know you haven’t lost faith in TT but the guy hasn’t proven he can stay healthy for a full season. With his size being a concern Pop hasn’t proven he can handle a full season either. I like re-signing KB but we have no idea what we’re going to get with him. We cannot risk going into next season without at least 3 quality WR’s in the fold. That IMO leaves at least 2 quality signings to be made. Boutee could really turn it on in yr. 2 and help relieve some of that pressure but we shouldn’t bank on it.

Isn't this an example of poor execution?

Everyone knew that was Zeke's guy and he played it badly. Is Zeke an inept blocker? That's not his reputation. Inept to me means incapable. This was a screw-up from a very capable player.

Mapu can’t come up and meet guards at the line of scrimmage and shed them like Bentley, he’s a strong safety not a linebacker.

Duggar is in a contract year, that’s why you draft his potential replacement.
I hate it even more if he's supposed to a Dugger replacement.

To be honest this makes sense. It's a deep QB class. It seems unlikely they pick lower than #3. Let's say hypothetically they are at #3 on draft day. They can sign Garoppolo in free agency as either a high-end backup or a temp starter. Then go into the draft and see what happens. If they are at #3 and the top 2 picks go QB-QB, they can draft Harrison Jr. and then take a QB later and sit him behind Garoppolo for a partial season or even a full season if Jimmy holds up. If one of the top 2 picks ends up being Harrison then a QB falls to them and they can take him instead, and Garoppolo can either be the backup or still start a few games to develop the top pick. I don't think Jimmy will cost more than $10M or so.

To be honest this makes sense. It's a deep QB class. It seems unlikely they pick lower than #3. Let's say hypothetically they are at #3 on draft day. They can sign Garoppolo in free agency as either a high-end backup or a temp starter. Then go into the draft and see what happens. If they are at #3 and the top 2 picks go QB-QB, they can draft Harrison Jr. and then take a QB later and sit him behind Garoppolo for a partial season or even a full season if Jimmy holds up. If one of the top 2 picks ends up being Harrison then a QB falls to them and they can take him instead, and Garoppolo can either be the backup or still start a few games to develop the top pick. I don't think Jimmy will cost more than $10M or so.
Seems reasonable until you think about the OL. Unless there is substantial improvement then the over/under on JG to IR is game 3.

I thought Bill's answers to Phil Perry's questions at the 4:15 mark here were interesting. Phil essentially asks about why Zappe started now and if he's looked good all year or he just now won the job. In a roundabout way Bill says he's always looked as good as he does now. So then Phil says well if he's always looked this good then why not make the move earlier considering the team's record? The interesting piece is that Bill starts to say "We gave Mac his chance" but then catches himself and changes his wording to say he gave Mac "the opportunity to work through his progression with the offense, and we haven't had a lot of production so we thought Bailey deserved a chance." I think that is curious because it points toward the idea that Mac basically was being given every opportunity to prove it until it was abundantly clear he just sucks and they pulled the plug.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back