PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have the 12 ranked D 1/4 into the season - Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruins29

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
With KC scoring a TD just now - Pats rank is 12th best D in the NFL. I know its hard to believe, but its true. I also can't believe the season is 1/4 over already.

Last year at this time we were on pace to be the worst defense in NFL history. So for all the cry babies freaking about the defense, go home. This is a different league and it's nearly impossible for anyone to defend anybody anymore

Last year at this time we were on pace to be the worst defense in NFL history. So for all the cry babies freaking about the defense, go home. This is a different league and it's nearly impossible for anyone to defend anybody anymore

Somewhat true. The best teams are still those that can disguise their pressures and coverages and play odd fronts for run fits. Practically the top 5 defenses right now are 3-4 defenses due to the versatility. And granted, base defense is played like 35% of the time across the league, but their versatility still spills into their nickel defenses. They just have more front options, more pressures, more coverages.

I thought they would have been worse than 12. And the season does fly by faster every year.

And I like chocolate pudding.

They've played

Houston, with recovering Watson
Struggling Detroit with a new coaching staff
Overrated Miami
Jacksonville, with Blake Bortles

Given that, and given the way they made Miami their *****, it's not really surprising to see that, even with poor defensive play for much of the first 4 games, the stats are misleadingly good.

And I'd rather have tapioca pudding with a bit of maple syrup.

I was surprised, too, although I agree that it’s probably a bit misleading after one very good performance. Hopefully, it’s the start of something good.

Again, more evidence that stats are for losers.

Every year the same inane discussion, we all should wait for the outcome of the Jan. 30 game, or better still after another Superbowl win..

The Miami game skewed the stats too much.

While it's true that the Pats' defensive rankings got a boost from their performance against Miami, they were already around the middle of the pack in a couple measurements.

Taking out the Miami game, the Pats defense was surrendering ...

25.7 pts/game ... IND = 25.0 (#18), CLE = 26.0 (#19)

143.3 rush yds/game ... ARZ = 141.3 (#31), DET = 157.8 (#32)

263.0 pass yds/game ... tied with BUF at #16 ... Rams = 247.5, OAK = 263.3

The Pats D is now at ...

21.0 (#12) pts/game, between GBY at 20.8 and the JETE at 22.3

121.5 (#26) rush yds/game, between ATL at 119.0 and SEA at 122.5

226.3 (#8) pass yds/game, between GBY at 218.5 and the Gints at 228.8

One other important stat ...

The Pats are also tied with CAR for the 2nd fewest penalties called against them against at 19 overall. The Gints have 18. The Steelers lead the league at 42.

Of the Pats 19 penalties, 7 are attributable to the defense (only 4 DH and 1 DPI).

KCY is tied for 4th most, with IND and HOU, at 34 overall penalties. KCY has been flagged 8 times for Defensive Holding alone, plus another 4 for DPI.

Practically the top 5 defenses right now are 3-4 defenses due to the versatility.

Who plays 3-4 anymore?

Yes that's a clickbait question, but serious in that base defenses pretty much don't exist in the current league. In multi-TE sets, you're apt to see either hybrid LBs who are shaded toward a S skillset or just straight 3 safeties. Tons of three WR looks for most teams equals a base nickel of some type with less LBs (like the 5-2 alignment from last year).

Sure, isolated instances, but overall the new alignments used throughout the games look nothing like the 3-4 of even just a few years ago.

It's probably heavily skewed by the Dolphins game though, which basically made it how many yards did you allow in 3 games.

How is it heavily skewed? They are 1 of 4 teams Pats have played. That is like saying the Rams defensive stats are skewed because of the Cardinals game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back