PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots future QB and their path to him

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the QB of the future is someone like JG - a quality player that slips to the 2nd or 3rd round, that, under the tutelage of BB and McDaniels, becomes a real legit upper level NFL starting QB. Of course, finding those guys aren't easy. Maybe we'll all be completely shocked and Etling actually is good. Who knows. But I don't see their next QB being a guy they trade up to get in the 1st round, or another team's castoff.
sounds good, but if this were the plan, why didn't we draft one this year in the 3rd or 4th?
We're hoping for a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year, and hope that Brady will be there long enough for the player to develop?

Lock or Finley in 2019 NFL draft.

Easy now. I know many on here aren’t as high on Alex Smith as I am, but still.
(1) 99% of the time, you can't compare the #1 overall pick to a 7th rounder
(2) Alex Smith has had a very good career and we should be so fortunate to have that type of caliber follow Brady.
I hear you. A 7th rounder turning into an Alex Smith would be pretty far fetched but only that level of results would allow us to strike a balance with being patient to wait for a QB while also not going 2 and 14 year after year

I think we should pick up Bryce Petty to **** with the JETE's heads

I just wanted to add the Jets will be releasing one or more QB's sometime before the start of the regular season. And since the Pats usually pick up players within the division. What do you think about the following quarterbacks.

Christian Hackenberg

Bryce Petty

Teddy Bridgewater
I would rather run Jed Hoyer out there than any of the 3.

I would like Lock but he gotta improve that passing completion percentage.

I would like Lock but he gotta improve that passing completion percentage.
Lock or Finley in 2019 NFL draft.
If these are the QBs that are projected to be chosen 1-2 at the position, why do we think that the Patriots have a shot at landing them?

Is it going to be an entire season of “we may give up two firsts, two seconds, and a third” to move up and get player____x, all over again, because I don’t think that would be a likely choice?

If these are the QBs that are projected to be chosen 1-2 at the position, why do we think that the Patriots have a shot at landing them?

Is it going to be an entire season of “we may give up two firsts, two seconds, and a third” to move up and get player____x, all over again, because I don’t think that would be a likely choice?
Lock, Herbert, Fitzgerald, Bentley will def make up the top 3-4 going into the season & I suspect Herbert/Lock will be QB1-2 on most peoples board.

I'm starting my thread today w/ a list of prospects that fit what we like in every position.

In some cases separated by 3 categories if theres enough players.

Lock & Fitzgerald are in the "Ideal but Out Of Range" Category. Small chance their in play for a reasonable trade up although there are several factors that come into play w/ those 2.
Lock is similar to Allen in the sense that he has the size, +arm talent w/ placement & ability to adjust tempo on passes. Quick release. He's pushing the ball down the field a lot so I'd like to see some improvement w/ his overall accuracy but not expecting leaps. If that happens & he completes 60+ along with his deep accuracy, he's a sure fire top 3-5 pick

There are 4-5 small school QB's that are very interesting to me & I'll be paying extremely close attention to. One small school has 2 guys that will be looked at very closely.

Lock, Herbert, Fitzgerald, Bentley will def make up the top 3-4 going into the season & I suspect Herbert/Lock will be QB1-2 on most peoples board.

I'm starting my thread today w/ a list of prospects that fit what we like in every position.

In some cases separated by 3 categories if theres enough players.

Lock & Fitzgerald are in the "Ideal but Out Of Range" Category. Small chance their in play for a reasonable trade up although there are several factors that come into play w/ those 2.
Lock is similar to Allen in the sense that he has the size, +arm talent w/ placement & ability to adjust tempo on passes. Quick release. He's pushing the ball down the field a lot so I'd like to see some improvement w/ his overall accuracy but not expecting leaps. If that happens & he completes 60+ along with his deep accuracy, he's a sure fire top 3-5 pick

There are 4-5 small school QB's that are very interesting to me & I'll be paying extremely close attention to. One small school has 2 guys that will be looked at very closely.

Since you know a lot more than me about these college prospects, what's your take on stidham? He has a patriots feel to him. At least to me.

Have to wonder if the Pats are looking for another late round pick or back up they believe they can "coach up" to replace #12.... as much as they may need to, using a lot of "draft capitol" just seems out of character for them...

sounds good, but if this were the plan, why didn't we draft one this year in the 3rd or 4th?
We're hoping for a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year, and hope that Brady will be there long enough for the player to develop?

None of the mid rounders projected as starters. Bad class after the top.

Since you know a lot more than me about these college prospects, what's your take on stidham? He has a patriots feel to him. At least to me.
I like him. Still learning the position in many ways. In terms of arm talent he's a really good stick & shoot passer. Early on, coming from Baylor & arriving at Auburn he worked through some mechanic issues. You see it in some QB's, they have different throwing motions for different passes. Rn he's comfortable seeing a target open & has the velocity to blast through some coverage/windows. Arm can hurt you deep. Can roll out & throw. So you would want to see a little more touch/placement when throwing guys open & dropping it in a bucket. Which he's done at times, you just wanna see more consistency there.

Smart, supposedly lives in the film room. Everything suggest he a work ethic that draws others in.

He has big time talent, again still a work in progress. Was considered better than Rosen coming out of H.S. Athlete that played multiple sports. This year should be his in terms of putting some things together & really elevating his game. Reminds me a bit of Alex Smith & could see a similar trajectory if he peaks out.

He's on my list for sure of guys to keep an eye on.

I like him. Still learning the position in many ways. In terms of arm talent he's a really good stick & shoot passer. Early on, coming from Baylor & arriving at Auburn he worked through some mechanic issues. You see it in some QB's, they have different throwing motions for different passes. Rn he's comfortable seeing a target open & has the velocity to blast through some coverage/windows. Arm can hurt you deep. Can roll out & throw. So you would want to see a little more touch/placement when throwing guys open & dropping it in a bucket. Which he's done at times, you just wanna see more consistency there.

Smart, supposedly lives in the film room. Everything suggest he a work ethic that draws others in.

He has big time talent, again still a work in progress. Was considered better than Rosen coming out of H.S. Athlete that played multiple sports. This year should be his in terms of putting some things together & really elevating his game. Reminds me a bit of Alex Smith & could see a similar trajectory if he peaks out.

He's on my list for sure of guys to keep an eye on.

Thanks. You went above and beyond on that answer :)

So, it's a fine line between wanting him to improve, but not so much he's out of range come draft time next year.

Thanks. You went above and beyond on that answer :)

So, it's a fine line between wanting him to improve, but not so much he's out of range come draft time next year.
No I have a feeling he'll be in range either at our pick or an easy trade up that wouldn't hurt us unless he really puts everything together & just has a Heisman type year.

He came from Baylor & Auburn really fits him, very similar so its very possible.

I'm starting my 19 thread now so feel free to pop in for draft info. 2018 threads are filled w/ info.

I'm on the Clayton Thorson train. That's our guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back