PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots film study, playcalls, and scheme breakdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Should put to rest, the nonsense that BB had any sort of grudge over keeping McDaniels in town. The guy is a master at the chess game, at staying one step ahead with those continual tweaks and mods that just keeps Pitts off balance.

It's borderline obscene. McD is continually taking cake away from a kid here.

Last edited:

First run, if Solder had sustained his block vs Watt longer than he was able to do, then that run would've gained more yards, maybe a lot more yards. Nice hustle by Watt.

Second run, Dwayne Allen should've blocked the outside DB #25 instead of the next-level LB #98 Williams. The Cat likely would've gained another 3/4 yards.

Fourth run, Thuney did a poor job of blocking #98 Williams. In fact, he blocked Williams right into a head-on collision with Burkhead. Weak.

Should put to rest, the nonsense that BB had any sort of grudge over keeping McDaniels in town. The guy is a master at the chess game, at staying one step ahead with those continual tweaks and mods that just keeps Pitts off balance.

It's borderline obscene. McD is continually taking cake away from a kid here.

Kinda lavish praise for a 4-yard gain.

First run, if Solder had sustained his block vs Watt longer than he was able to do, then that run would've gained more yards, maybe a lot more yards. Nice hustle by Watt.

Second run, Dwayne Allen should've blocked the outside DB #25 instead of the next-level LB #98 Williams. The Cat likely would've gained another 3/4 yards.

Fourth run, Thuney did a poor job of blocking #98 Williams. In fact, he blocked Williams right into a head-on collision with Burkhead. Weak.

Or, maybe Allen blocked his assignment and someone else (offscreen) was supposed to have taken care of the DB.

I don't recall many Empty formations before 2007 as Robinson claims, but then again I'm an old bake-head.

Sucks that we'll have to keep at least one TE close to the LOS for blocking on almost every medium/deep pass attempt this season. There might be Empty formations, but there will certainly be 6-man protections to go with them too.

Plays that work are always cool to break down and admire,. but you can't run that play over and over. Defense reads it.

The plays I like in terms of strategic scheme are plays that set up subsequent plays or plays later in the game... Weis was good at that it seemed more so than mcD...:cool:

Plays that work are always cool to break down and admire,. but you can't run that play over and over. Defense reads it.

The plays I like in terms of strategic scheme are plays that set up subsequent plays or plays later in the game... Weis was good at that it seemed more so than mcD...:cool:

Not really possible to compare Weis and McD objectively, but McD seems to be plenty good at it.

Not specific to the Patriots, but this stat about offensive line performance is fascinating. I'm not sure how push-backs are measured, but OL strength is required for winning teams.

The main red flag is the O-line. In the preseason -- and yes, I know it's the preseason -- Carolina's offensive front was pushed back and/or allowed pressure on the greatest percentage of passing downs in the NFL. The Panthers just added tackle depth by acquiring Corey Robinson in a trade with the Lions, but Robinson's a former seventh-round pick with eight career starts. In the past seven years, teams that have allowed push-back + pressures ranking in the bottom five during the regular season haven't made the playoffs once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back