PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots film study, playcalls, and scheme breakdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flowers might not have gaudy sack numbers, but he is definitely the most skilled pass rusher on this team. Take a look through these clips for a masterclass in versatility and technique.

EDIT: It's a Twitter thread (which is an online abomination, but that's beside the point), so you'll need to go to the link and then scroll through all the rest of the breakdowns.

Evan does a great job with this stuff. I wonder where he finds the time.

Just a reminder running the ball is situational football. Keep the D honest/Catch em playing light. SY/GL etc. You pass to win.

Will post some clips if im alive/awake after work

Still not 100% sold on PFF (Pittsburgh #14 for pass rushing, after leading NFL in sacks?) but this is still an interesting look at how we rank. Let's hope for some improvement.

NFL offensive line rankings: All 32 team's units entering 2018 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

NFL pass-rush rankings: All 32 team's entering 2018 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus
Agreed but we use it as a resource. One piece to the puzzle whereas some totally discount them all together. Which is nuts considering the Patriots picks over the last few years & the parallels to #'s.

Evan does a great job with this stuff. I wonder where he finds the time.

Not only does he do a great job, but he started having problems with other writers who would anonymously rip off his works. I think the end resultant was that he turned his twitter account private.

Flowers might not have gaudy sack numbers, but he is definitely the most skilled pass rusher on this team. Take a look through these clips for a masterclass in versatility and technique.

EDIT: It's a Twitter thread (which is an online abomination, but that's beside the point), so you'll need to go to the link and then scroll through all the rest of the breakdowns.

Bill absolutely, positively MUST re-sign Flowers.

If he has to allow Mason to sign elsewhere in order to accomplish that task, then so be it.

Still not 100% sold on PFF (Pittsburgh #14 for pass rushing, after leading NFL in sacks?) but this is still an interesting look at how we rank. Let's hope for some improvement.

NFL offensive line rankings: All 32 team's units entering 2018 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

NFL pass-rush rankings: All 32 team's entering 2018 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus
11th and 27th, respectively? Sounds about right, maybe a notch or 2 higher than what I would've given them.

I'm now feeling less and less confident that Jason McCourty will even make the 53, let alone become a starter.

I'm a little hesitant to trust their breakdowns, to be honest. They said that McCourty struggled in man to man coverage, but in the film I've watched, all his best plays came in man, not zone. Maybe @BaconGrundleCandy has some clips he can drop in here to show us? Interesting discussion to be had there, for sure.

Fascinating look at pressure and positional value. Edge rusher is definitely an area of concern for this roster. I like Clayborn, and I still have some optimism for Rivers, but next year's draft must address this position early, and possibly double dip. No other position has the potential to ruin an offense like this.

Edge vs Interior: Which pass-rusher reigns supreme | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus
Further proof that the re-signing of Tre Flowers (aka the Best player on this defense) should absolutely be Priority #1 this year.

Still amazes me that players can pick something like that up without it being repeated. Sometimes I see players barely getting their heads into the huddle and I wonder how they know what is going on...I would be lost trying to follow someone saying all of that and then "break!".

Still amazes me that players can pick something like that up without it being repeated. Sometimes I see players barely getting their heads into the huddle and I wonder how they know what is going on...I would be lost trying to follow someone saying all of that and then "break!".

While it's nice to know all of it, certain players / positions are only listening for their responsibility. OL protection may not necessarily apply to the wide receiver, for example. Over time, I'm sure it becomes second nature to translate the calls and just go play.

Well, Zach Dunn is only partially correct when he tries to make the EP somewhat as complicated as the WCO. The EP always has and always will deal in concepts, so it will never be as complicated as the WCO.

Example:

The Ghost concept is always a two-man route concept with the #1 receiver running a go route and the #2 receiver running a 10-yard out, no matter the formation or personnel. Tosser is a three man concept, and on and so forth.

Here is a good primer:

Summer School: The Erhardt-Perkins system

Further proof that the re-signing of Tre Flowers (aka the Best player on this defense) should absolutely be Priority #1 this year.

ESPN did one of those re-drafting the 2015 draft. Trey Flowers went from the 4th round to the 7th pick overall. Vic Beasley went 3rd overall.

i

8. Atlanta Falcons

Actual pick: Vic Beasley Jr., edge rusher, Clemson

New Pick: Trey Flowers, edge rusher, Arkansas

With Beasley now off the board, the Falcons turn to the next-best pass-rusher in the class in Flowers. Flowers was a fourth-rounder back in 2015, but PFF grades pointed to a first-round player, and he hasn't disappointed with grades of 80.9 and 87.8 (14th among edge defenders) over the past two years after a redshirt 2015 season.

Pretty fascinating look at salary allocation.

Credit to this Reddit thread.

Zach Dunn dives into Pitts vs. NE. An explosion of tweets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back