PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots-Eagles Joint Practice (8/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith’s injury blows. I guess the silver lining would be that it’s not the dreaded high ankle sprain, but still some bad timing. We may just carry 5 WRs on the roster to start the season after all.

Smith’s injury blows. I guess the silver lining would be that it’s not the dreaded high ankle sprain, but still some bad timing. We may just carry 5 WRs on the roster to start the season after all.

When you're mocking up a 53 man roster, you never like to try to predict injuries (bad mugumbo there), but inevitably they tend resolve a lot of perceived roster crunches. Hopefully Smith is fine for week 1, but chances are someone we assumed was a lock will have to start the year on IR, and one of those bubble positions will have a shot.

Low ankle sprains, depending on severity, are on average much quicker to resolve/heal. Additionally they also tend to be more easily mitigated, to include pain management/reduction of recurrence through bracing/taping.

I remain cautiously optimistic Smith will be available for the start of the season.

When you're mocking up a 53 man roster, you never like to try to predict injuries (bad mugumbo there), but inevitably they tend resolve a lot of perceived roster crunches. Hopefully Smith is fine for week 1, but chances are someone we assumed was a lock will have to start the year on IR, and one of those bubble positions will have a shot.
The crappy thing about those ankle sprains is that return time is hard to predict. Especially for skill position guys. Henry is expected to be back and I always thought Asiasi would make the roster, but Smith’s injury, depending on any length of time he may lose, would effectively change the personnel packages we’d use on offense. That would make it pertinent to carry 5 WRs on the roster. But, again, it depends on whether Smith misses time or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes