PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots claim DT Marquan McCall (update: waived again for failed physical )

These all feel like exaggerations IMO. They gave up 4.1 ypc. 4.4 if you only want to count the 7 runs by the starters Jones and Dillon. Hardly stout, I'm sure they want to be better, but "embarrassed" and "a mess" are just being hyperbolic. 4.4 ypc would have been ranked middle of the pack last year as a run defense. 4.1 would have been tied for 4th.
With the 1990's style focus Bill puts on stopping the run they shouldn't be getting shoved around like that on the D-line. Between Godchaux, Guy, and Wise they are almost a $23 million cap hit. I know it is a preseason game but to be honest Wise is the only one of those guys worth what he's getting paid at this point since he actually offers some pass rush ability. I'm sorry but a run stuffing tackle (Godchaux) should not have a $10.5 million cap hit in 2023.

Definitely not. Like I said, I'm sure they want to be better, and I wanted McCall to work out. I'm just tired of every time something doesn't look dominant, the default reaction here is, "IT SUCKS!" So I provided some perspective. The actual results on the field were mediocre. Not embarrassing. Not a mess.
Agree…we never needed him to be dominant…and I don’t care if he never had any stats. We need someone to clog the middle.

You just made my point and I agree. He played well against the run in the past but he lost a step and you’re not the only one to see it obviously.
I'm only not sure about "lost a step," he's a big fatty and these guys often need a wake up call.

I remember the team benching Alan Branch back when because he was playing half speed, he came back with a new attitude when they reinserted him with the starters.

With the 1990's style focus Bill puts on stopping the run they shouldn't be getting shoved around like that on the D-line. Between Godchaux, Guy, and Wise they are almost a $23 million cap hit. I know it is a preseason game but to be honest Wise is the only one of those guys worth what he's getting paid at this point since he actually offers some pass rush ability. I'm sorry but a run stuffing tackle (Godchaux) should not have a $10.5 million cap hit in 2023.
I wouldn't classify Godchaux as a run stuffing tackle. He's a high energy/high snap guy who keeps everyone else healthy. It's a passing league now, run stuffers have become secondary players.

I'm only not sure about "lost a step,"
This isn’t Vegas but I’m ok with pretending this didn’t happen “Maybe he's lost a step”.

I wouldn't classify Godchaux as a run stuffing tackle. He's a high energy/high snap guy who keeps everyone else healthy. It's a passing league now, run stuffers have become secondary players.
I honestly don't know what he does well enough to make what he does. What I do know is I would rather see Barmore getting more snaps than he does since we still don't know his upside when it seems pretty clear we know what Godchaux is.

This isn’t Vegas but I’m ok with pretending this didn’t happen “Maybe he's lost a step”.
We'll see what the team thinks on cutdown day, Davis is paid peanuts, it won't be due to money if he gets cut. I think he makes the team or they find a replacement on the waiver wire after cutdowns.

Yes. He is good.
Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

I honestly don't know what he does well enough to make what he does. What I do know is I would rather see Barmore getting more snaps than he does since we still don't know his upside when it seems pretty clear we know what Godchaux is.
I know it doesn't make a ton of sense, but he plays max snaps, he stays healthy, he makes a lot of tackles even if he isn't a wall in run defense, he is a high energy player at his position. By playing him max snaps, he keeps Barmore and the rest healthy. Look at his snap and tackle totals.

Against Green Bay they weren't putting Carl Davis on the field on short downs, and that's his bread and butter. Practice is for working on and improving weaknesses. I think they wanted to see what these guys looked like in these short down situations, especially Sam Roberts, does Lawrence Guy still have it, is Godchaux ready to play more against the run, is Barmore healthy and dialed in.

In the regular season they'll insert a big fatty next to Barmore on 3rd and short and on the goal line, that's been Carl Davis's role the past few years. He comes in when they need a short run stop. If not Davis, they'll find someone else on the waiver wire.

Like the add. Fits the mold of what they don’t really have, and can bump off one of the multiple bland DTs they currently have on the roster.
I think this signals an acknowledgement that they are not confident in their ability to stop the run. Since he failed his physical problem NOT solved.
Teams that can run the ball will be a big problem

Godchaux was getting embarrassed in Green Bay the other night. I don't know why Bill is so in love with that guy.

Plus he allowed the dude's contract to be structured in such a way as to make it impossible to be rid of him for at least 3 years. WTF?!?

So what happens to Nixon? He was put in non recall waivers

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back