PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots claim DT Marquan McCall (update: waived again for failed physical )

Anyone know if there were any other claims made for McCall besides ours?

• Interesting
Reactions: sb1
Anyone know if there were any other claims made for McCall besides ours?
There’s no official record, but it’s often “leaked” to reporters the following day.

For example:

Don't know yet if this is just a case of taking a free look at somebody who played almost every game as a rookie UDFA, or if this is more serious than that and one of Carl Davis, The Big Guy or Godchaux is in trouble...
It costs the Pats 2.5 million more to cut Godchaux - the hit would be almost 13 million. He leads the team each year in snaps on the DL.

He's not an NT. He never was.

Closest thing to McCall on the Pats is Carl Davis. He's the one made expendable if McCall works out.

Pats would save 3 million cutting Lawrence Guy. I don't think they do it. He's been a good teammate and leader in the locker room, and great in the community.

Aaaaaaaand he’s gone.

Aaaaaaaand he’s gone.

Is that undisclosed knee injury perhaps why he was a surprise cut? If he clears waivers he might have grounds for a grievance. Will be interested to see if the NFLPA speaks up on his behalf.

Aaaaaaaand he’s gone.

Season 3 Waiting GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Yeah I like this claim; They've had chances the last couple or so years to add somebody with this body type but have until now chosen to ignore them... Maybe their poor run defense this preseason has woken them up to Reality...

Don't know yet if this is just a case of taking a free look at somebody who played almost every game as a rookie UDFA, or if this is more serious than that and one of Carl Davis, The Big Guy or Godchaux is in trouble...
Godchaux was getting embarrassed in Green Bay the other night. I don't know why Bill is so in love with that guy.

Godchaux was getting embarrassed in Green Bay the other night. I don't know why Bill is so in love with that guy.

Maybe but Davis was doing a fantastic job impersonating a turnstile at age 31ish.

That run defense has a whole was a mess.

These all feel like exaggerations IMO. They gave up 4.1 ypc. 4.4 if you only want to count the 7 runs by the starters Jones and Dillon. Hardly stout, I'm sure they want to be better, but "embarrassed" and "a mess" are just being hyperbolic. 4.4 ypc would have been ranked middle of the pack last year as a run defense. 4.1 would have been tied for 4th.

These all feel like exaggerations IMO. They gave up 4.1 ypc. 4.4 if you only want to count the 7 runs by the starters Jones and Dillon. Hardly stout, I'm sure they want to be better, but "embarrassed" and "a mess" are just being hyperbolic. 4.4 ypc would have been ranked middle of the pack last year as a run defense. 4.1 would have been tied for 4th.
Davis had problems against GB. That was mentioned by some of the media and I’m pretty sure it didn’t slip by BB. Davis has been “ok” against the run the past couple years but maybe the team wanted a change. I don’t see it as a hot take.

Davis had problems against GB. That was mentioned by some of the media and I’m pretty sure it didn’t slip by BB. Davis has been “ok” against the run the past couple years but maybe the team wanted a change. I don’t see it as a hot take.
Davis was playing late into that Green Bay game, the Packers certainly weren't having a lot of success running directly at him, they had to go around him. I think this signing might have been to light a fire under Davis for one more season, he is a player who always needed some motivation. He's been great against the run in limited snaps, that's what they pay him for, 10-12 snaps a game.... 3rd and short and goal line.

Maybe he's lost a step, if so they should be able to find another big fatty after roster cutdowns. Teams can't afford to roster multiple one dimensional run stuffers.

Definitely not. Like I said, I'm sure they want to be better, and I wanted McCall to work out. I'm just tired of every time something doesn't look dominant, the default reaction here is, "IT SUCKS!" So I provided some perspective. The actual results on the field were mediocre. Not embarrassing. Not a mess.

Maybe he's lost a step, if so they should be able to find another big fatty after roster cutdowns. Teams can't afford to roster multiple one dimensional run stuffers.
You just made my point and I agree. He played well against the run in the past but he lost a step and you’re not the only one to see it obviously.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back