PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots’ 2020 Rookies Are ‘Further Behind’ Than Ever, Bill Belichick Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyBlueCat

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
That’s okay, Bill. We’ve gotten used to rookies not producing around here. Covid or no Covid. Harry’s running a slant as we speak. He should be in position to catch the ball in a couple of hours.

That’s okay, Bill. We’ve gotten used to rookies not producing around here. Covid or no Covid. Harry’s running a slant as we speak. He should be in position to catch the ball in a couple of hours.

Stidham wouldve thrown 30 TDs if he were a rookie on a different team last year. BB holding him back

I am very ignorant so before someone tells me I don't know **** about football for saying this, just know I agree.

I don't know why it's so hard for rookies to catch on. Other than becoming a professional and all the other side things that being paid to play football brings, how much different is the principle? Learn the playbook, learn your job. Is that really so hard that rookies need a whole damn year to pick it up? Do they really need months upon months of offseason workouts that bad to know "when this play is called, I do this." I just don't really get it

I am very ignorant so before someone tells me I don't know **** about football for saying this, just know I agree.

I don't know why it's so hard for rookies to catch on. Other than becoming a professional and all the other side things that being paid to play football brings, how much different is the principle? Learn the playbook, learn your job. Is that really so hard that rookies need a whole damn year to pick it up? Do they really need months upon months of offseason workouts that bad to know "when this play is called, I do this." I just don't really get it
The schemes are a lot more complicated and the speed of the game is night and day. Doesn’t help when many of our picks since 2013 just aren’t very good football players either.

On other teams, rookies make an impact right away. The Pats run a complex defense and offense with lots of assignments and sight adjustments. It is what give us an edge when designing a game plan but also hampers us as the uptake is much longer.

Odd that this draft class has seemed to contribute more right away than last years did in 2019. Aside from Keene and Uche most of our higher picks are at least suiting up and getting some snaps. Last year Bailey and Wino were really the only ones who contributed.

I'm not the most knowledgeable on these things either. But, for what it's worth, a link to an old Pats playbook was posted once. I looked at it for about 5 minutes before my head almost exploded. I think it gets far more complex than college, and not only do the players have to learn it, but they have to learn it so well that there is no hesitation or false steps once they are on the field. Then there's the physical development aspect where some rookies need to get stronger, adjust to the speed of the game, wrs/cbs need to learn the finer points of route running and hand fighting, I imagine TEs have a ton on their plate with routes and blocking schemes to learn, etc.

Last edited:
The schemes are a lot more complicated and the speed of the game is night and day. Doesn’t help when many of our picks since 2013 just aren’t very good football players either.
It's mindboggling that they couldn't even get them on the field for maybe even 25% of plays. You figure maybe they'd say "We're weak in this area, so focus your studying on this part of the offense so we can get you on the field and maybe improve there."

Right now TEs are nonexistent in the passing game. I can't imagine that these guys don't at least have 10-15 plays figured out but yea again maybe I'm just not giving enough credit to all the nuance that goes into these plays

It's mindboggling that they couldn't even get them on the field for maybe even 25% of plays. You figure maybe they'd say "We're weak in this area, so focus your studying on this part of the offense so we can get you on the field and maybe improve there."

Right now TEs are nonexistent in the passing game. I can't imagine that these guys don't at least have 10-15 plays figured out but yea again maybe I'm just not giving enough credit to all the nuance that goes into these plays
The TEs have been the most disappointing group.

The TEs have been the most disappointing group.
Kind of expected when you take two of them in a bad draft for TEs. I’m looking forward to watching Caserio work his “magic” with Houston.

At least he did something in the Chiefs game, unlike Julian Dropman that pretty much cost any slight chance the Pats still had in that game.

But yes go ahead and tell me how Stidham blah blah blah even though Dropman's 2 hands touched the ball

On other teams, rookies make an impact right away. The Pats run a complex defense and offense with lots of assignments and sight adjustments. It is what give us an edge when designing a game plan but also hampers us as the uptake is much longer.
Did the Pats D have that "edge" at the end of last season when good but "less complex" offenses showed up?

Did the Pats O experience an "uptake" at the end of last season when good teams and their less "complex" systems faced off against the 3-D chess playing Pats?

Love the narratives !!!!!!

At least he did something in the Chiefs game, unlike Julian Dropman that pretty much cost any slight chance the Pats still had in that game.

But yes go ahead and tell me how Stidham blah blah blah even though Dropman's 2 hands touched the ball

Yeah. It was a dangerous and stupid throw given where Rover was. Lots of throws are dangerous and stupid even though the receivers get a hand on them. Welcome to football. But yeah... Harry’s 3/21/1 against the Queefs 3rd and 4th corners was very impressive. That’s why we spent first round capital on him. You sound upset. Bad day at McDonald’s?

Its a massive speed difference. Imagine playing a sport for four years and every once in awhile you come up against this unreal talent that is just gear and shoulders better than everyone. Like Gronkowski level of dominance in college. Then you realize at the next level that guy is just a standard talent at best and everyone you come up against is about that good and a few guys actually do super human things.

Also schemes are more complicated so in addition to a huge speed and talent upgrade you have to manage more in your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots