PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

Phins just flipped that #12 pick to the Eagle for #6. wow, nice work by Miami

Not that simple. For #6, they traded the #12 pick and their own first rounder from next year (2022). They also agreed to flip 5th round slots this year. Decent work by Miami if you ask me.

Jimmy G’s no trade clause is the key. He can basically be a **** and say nowhere besides the pats & their two TE middle of the field offense.
Yeah he can say trade me to NE, cut me, or pay me $24M. The end.

Looking back on it, this offense really does look good for him. He obviously likes the TE considering his time with Kittle. He already knows Bourne. He's injury prone, but NE has the best OL in football to protect him. They can lean on play-action. Their WRs aren't "elite" but Jimmy can definitely hit the open man quickly.

And if he gets hurt a few weeks, they have Cam, who can realistically beat the easier teams handily if they just go extremely run-heavy and don't ask him to throw much. If that doesn't work, there's still Stidham.

Damn Miami just moved back up to 6. Move down 3 spots and pick up an extra first and a third for a late 4th.

Looking back on it, this offense really does look good for him. He obviously likes the TE considering his time with Kittle. He already knows Bourne. He's injury prone, but NE has the best OL in football to protect him. They can lean on play-action. Their WRs aren't "elite" but Jimmy can definitely hit the open man quickly.

And if he gets hurt a few weeks, they have Cam, who can realistically beat the easier teams handily if they just go extremely run-heavy and don't ask him to throw much. If that doesn't work, there's still Stidham.
You’ve sold me. Excellent post.

Now what do we give up to get him?

early speculation i've seen would be a cost of a 3rd round pick.....but that was phil perry being hopeful
Very hopeful I suspect. I’d be amazed if the Niners didn’t try to get back one of their future firsts.

early speculation i've seen would be a cost of a 3rd round pick.....but that was phil perry being hopeful

I could see that, especially if they do want to move on from him and his no trade limits where he'll accept. I don't think I would go much higher than that, but adding in a late round pick would be fine too. I want our first rounder for a significant player (if we're going Jimmy rather than a drafted QB), but there won't be a ton of spots on this roster for late round fliers anyway.

...then the NEP opens themselves up to a bidding war and with only $10m in cap space cannot dictate deal structure.

If you have the chance to do it, you do the deal.

Realistically, though, who would sign him as a FA?

His release mixed with a top 5 OL and quality pass catchers in the middle of the field would be hard to defend. Would be tough to blitz to get pressure as well considering his accuracy.

They’d have an elite defense & a very good offense. Hopefully he gets to leave.

This

It's always been the logical choice.

These were my thoughts exactly.
When we first signed Smith I said well now we have a Kittle like target.
When we signed Henry I put that over the top.
Bringing In Brown and Bourne I said this offense is designed for a quick release QB.
Can and Jarrett don’t have that release and processing speed.
Also Bill wanted Jimmy all along you heard Jimmy’s comments to Bourne I was surprised New England traded me away.
That’s not it’s a business they have Tom there I get it no this was I was surprised.

You’ve sold me. Excellent post.

Now what do we give up to get him?
Based on true value I'd say NE's 2nd makes sense. However, we know SF needs a corner. Gilmore is a possibility, and SF would have the money to pay him what he wants. Gilmore for Jimmy straight-up makes sense to me, but NE might want to target a top CB at/around #15 in that scenario.

I can also see an arrangement where they send their 2nd to SF for Jimmy in addition to an agreement where they allow SF to sign J.C. to an offer sheet that they'll decline to match. In that situation, SF is essentially trading Jimmy and their 2nd for NE's 2nd and J.C. on a long-term contract. Since the 2nds are close to a wash, it's mostly Jimmy for J.C.

I think the only interesting thing is if somehow Lance or Jones was the desire all along and it somehow went. 1. Lawrence, 2. Wilson, 3. Fields and now at 4 they were in reach
Interesting timing less than a week after it was leaked we were high on fields the niners move all the way up to 3.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back