PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passing of the tourch.

Your treating Brady like its a individual sport not a team sport. If brady was drafted by the dolphins, or bills or countless other teams he would still be good but not physically good enough to win the big one. He was lucky enough to be paired with the best head coach ever. That was his golden ticket.

There was an article that used to be cited often here, but it’s no longer on ESPN’s server because it’s now 20 years old. In 2000, a poll of NFL execs ranked the Patriots as the 32nd most likely team to win a Super Bowl in the next decade - or dead last. They cited a horrible roster, no star players, and less foundation than any team in football. The Patriots went 5-11 in 2000 and then started 0-2 in 2001 before Brady turned it around and won a SB. You literally cannot find a worse situation to start with. It’s so funny how many people like yourself don’t realize that you’re dead wrong about this point.

Meanwhile, Mahomes took over a team that hadn’t had a losing record in, what, five years?

Look I agree that the torch wasn't passed as a team yet but at QB it was and it was very obvious. As the say Mahomes can't play offense and defense. Our defense is so bad its literally a top 10 worst of all time defense ever in the NFL. Our coaching staff overall is below average. So if the argument is you have better coaching, check, you have a better defense, check, but at quarterback the torch was passed, he clearly outplayed brady.

You seem to be under the impression that a QB's only responsibility is the passing game. He sets the protections, calls audibles, etc. The QB who played better is the one who had the more productive offense. 524 yards to 290 yards. Mahomes got sacked 4 times for 46 yards. He's got a little bit of Favre in him.

Chiefs offense was great with Alex Smith too. Just sayin’. ;)

Chiefs offense was great with Alex Smith too. Just sayin’. ;)
With Mahomes, we average an additional 10 points per game

It was good, not great

Thank god someone fixed the typo in the thread title. That was driving me nuts.

Mahomes out played Brady and anyone watching the game could tell that easily. The Chiefs were OUTCOACHED by the hoodie. Brady didn't outplay him, the hoodie outplayed reid.

Wrong.

Brady:

3rd and 10. 3rd and 10. 3rd and 10. Game winning TD.

Mahomes:

Sacked. Out field goal range.

Sacked. Sacked. Overthrowing two easy TDs.

Sorry Bub. Brady is still the dude.

I like Mahomes and he looks like the best young QB out there but you can't crown a guy king or claim some kind of ridiculous torch passing when he hasn't won shyt yet.

Again it takes a full team and great coaching to win a superbowl, one player does not make or break a season. Lets look at Bradys first season as a starter vs Mahomes… Yards, Brady 2,843, Mahomes 5,097, TD's Brady 18, Mahomes 50, INT Brady 12, Mahomes 12.... guys not even close….

Brady 9 Super bowl appearances.

Mahomes 0.

Brady 5 Super bowl championships.

Mahomes 0.

Brady led the league in TDs in the first season he started from game 1.

FYI, you referenced Brady's stats from the season he replaced Bledsoe. Haha

Come back when Mahomes gets a ring.

Again it takes a full team and great coaching to win a superbowl, one player does not make or break a season. Lets look at Bradys first season as a starter vs Mahomes… Yards, Brady 2,843, Mahomes 5,097, TD's Brady 18, Mahomes 50, INT Brady 12, Mahomes 12.... guys not even close….

Let's look at the fact that teams played defense back then. Not pinball.

Look I agree that the torch wasn't passed as a team yet but at QB it was and it was very obvious. As the say Mahomes can't play offense and defense. Our defense is so bad its literally a top 10 worst of all time defense ever in the NFL. Our coaching staff overall is below average. So if the argument is you have better coaching, check, you have a better defense, check, but at quarterback the torch was passed, he clearly outplayed brady.

You don’t have a torch passed on a loss, period, let alone two of them. Mahomes has a great year, so did RGIII and Kaepernick, you have to show you can do it for a series of years under very different circumstances, not just one year.

But let's see how he does when DCs have a season of tape. When Kelce or Watkins or Hill walks for a big contract because KC has a bill coming due like no other with Mahomes.

Any chance Mahomes or anybody else in his position take a hint from how Tom Brady has dealt with his salary and the ability to build a team around him? Seems like TB12 has set quite a precedent that would be hard to ignore.

Probably not.

True enough but I watched a lot of games that year when Ryan was putting up huge numbers and he was more system quarterback vs making plays, he looked great but not the same. I think we all could agree that Ryan is a above average QB. He never threw 50 TD's

So you're saying Ryan is a "system quarterback" because he didn't have to dig himself out of holes all season like Mahomes managed to do? Seems odd to criticize a player for doing his job correctly.

Ryan had a better year in 2016 than Mahomes did in 2018. So now for you it's just TDs. You keep moving the goalposts in order to support a bad argument.

Last edited:
You’d do yourself a favor by trying to understand what makes Brady great rather than a hot take with your “eye test.” It’s a better general approach to life to understand why people are successful, especially when it isn’t obvious. It’s obvious to Patriots fans because it’s been talked about and examined here for almost 20 years, but for yourself, I imagine you under 20 and think everything that glitters is gold. Changing protections, audibling, going with the underneath target when the defense calls for it (or the opposite of what Mahomes tries to do), excellent mechanics and fundamentals, looking off defensive backs, precise footwork to create an extra half-second in the pocket, reading all progressions...these are all things that happen pre-snap and in the 2-3 seconds Brady has the ball in his hands.

I hope you’ll educate yourself to get a better understanding of the game within the game. Or maybe you like more of a pro wrestling storyline and signature moves to get your money’s worth. In that case, I can easily understand why Brady’s game doesn’t appeal to you.

so Mahomes loses to Brady not once, but twice...completes 51% of his passes in the AFCCG.....and that somehow gets the torch passed to him? Funny

So if you look at the thread I started I pretty much called this game right on with a 34-31 Pats win. Obviously looking at the game it could of been a toss up either way coming down to that last minute and then a coin flip. But to the Pats credit they won and are off to the super bowl.

BUT in watching the game live it just looked like the torch as been passed. Mahomes looks much better and more well rounded, can make all the throws and keeps a very level head. I think he has a lot of Brady intelligence with the farve or rogers arm talent. Our Defense is just awful, I mean like "All Time Historic Bad" defenses to ever play football. We all thought Berry would help but really did nothing to help.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years. I'm glad Brady gets his one last swan song and we will see what he does in the super bowl, I think you have just as good a chance beating them as you did us so your odds look good.

But to most people around the country ( the QB cannot control defense) it was a pretty easy to see passing of the torch. Mahomes will carry it well into the next 15 years and thanks for a good game guys.

Taking nothing away from the potential greatness of Patrick Mahomes, here's the thing. The only "Torch" that exists to be "passed" is the one called "The Lombardi," which the Commissioner (whose name we do not mention) "passes" to the Super Bowl Champion.

But, for a Quarterback, the Lombardi is really more like a really big candle until he gets his third or fourth (I mean, even Eli and Ben have two and nobody ever talked about either of them having a "Torch" passed to them).*

With three or four, you can start to talk about it as the "Torch:" Aikman, Bradshaw, Montana, Young and (back in the day) Starr could all call the NFL Championship a "Torch."

So, let's see Patrick, as electric and amazing a player as he might be, get a couple of trophies first and let's wait until he picks up his third Lombardi or so before we're doing any talking about his holding the "Torch."

Heck, Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco each have one of those suckers...and just ask Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and Drew Brees how hard it is to get that second.

*Respect to Ben and Eli for picking up two of them, especially since they had to go over Brady one way or the other to get them.

Last edited:
. . . this abomination of a thread still exists? o_O

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes