PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overlooked x-factor: the handling/secrecy of Gronkowski's injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of coaches are loose lipped about injuries and think that withholding information from opponents is overrated. Last night's game was one example where you can be almost certain it made the difference between a W and an L.

I'm not sure how long the Patriots have known Gronkowski would probably be out for the game. I believe BB is being sincere when he talks about questionable really meaning questionable in many cases, as we can't predict the healing process. That said, you can be reasonably sure that during the week leading up to the game, the Patriots were preparing to play without Gronkowski, and very few outside the organization were aware of this. Everyone knew Gronkowsk was hobbled, but the consensus from virtually every league insider and reporter was that he would almost certainly play and was just being held out for precautionary reasons.

The Patriots were clearly ready to run an offense devoid of Rob Gronkowski; the Cardinals were clearly caught off balance, at least early, by the offense not predicated around a game changing tight end.

Not sure if there was any secrecy? He didn't play hardly at all in the preseason. Was on the injury report, reported as missing practices. Not sure what else the Patriots could of done to make it clear that Rob Gronkowski might not play? For all we know he was real close to being eligible to play but doctors at last minute didn't clear him?

Not sure if there was any secrecy? He didn't play hardly at all in the preseason. Was on the injury report, reported as missing practices. Not sure what else the Patriots could of done to make it clear that Rob Gronkowski might not play? For all we know he was real close to being eligible to play but doctors at last minute didn't clear him?

Maybe my perspective was skewed by not following very closely this preseason.

They could have posted his medical records on Patriots.com to give us a little more of a heads up.

Gronk hasn't played in the preseason in several seasons.

Gronk hasn't played in the preseason in several seasons.

Doesn't it seem like he usually has some kind of surgery in the offseason though? It's not a coincidence that they take his health very seriously and use him sparingly when they can.

A lot of coaches are loose lipped about injuries and think that withholding information from opponents is overrated. Last night's game was one example where you can be almost certain it made the difference between a W and an L.

I'm not sure how long the Patriots have known Gronkowski would probably be out for the game. I believe BB is being sincere when he talks about questionable really meaning questionable in many cases, as we can't predict the healing process. That said, you can be reasonably sure that during the week leading up to the game, the Patriots were preparing to play without Gronkowski, and very few outside the organization were aware of this. Everyone knew Gronkowsk was hobbled, but the consensus from virtually every league insider and reporter was that he would almost certainly play and was just being held out for precautionary reasons.

The Patriots were clearly ready to run an offense devoid of Rob Gronkowski; the Cardinals were clearly caught off balance, at least early, by the offense not predicated around a game changing tight end.

Not sure I agree.

"People" made it known that he had a hamstring injury and that he was less than 100%. We also knew from Gronk directly that it was the coaches, the doctors , the trainers and HE who were going to collaborate and determine if he plays.

There has been too much subterfuge with Gronk's injury status and communication for me to know for certain if hes playing or not playing.

For all we know BB and Gordie are the ones deciding if Gronk plays.

the long travel probably played into the hamstring guys (solder and gronk) staying home

BTW, $45M of the salary cap did not play last night

I love how this Team is now built on Offense except for the RB position. At TE Bennett is a poor man Gronk. Didn't know Bennett could block that well better than our Tackles. Hogan is a poor mans Edelman and Amendola a little of both. Malcom Mitchell what can you say he looks like the 2014 LaFell. Such an Offense even with injuries can still operate with the next man up philosophy.

I love how this Team is now built on Offense except for the RB position. At TE Bennett is a poor man Gronk. Didn't know Bennett could block that well better than our Tackles. Hogan is a poor mans Edelman and Amendola a little of both. Malcom Mitchell what can you say he looks like the 2014 LaFell. Such an Offense even with injuries can still operate with the next man up philosophy.
This, plus James White was looking like a three-down RB too.

M. Bennett absolutely man-handled C. Jones all night! I feel like he was maligned rather rudely by many people for pacing himself during TC,,,,, But he showed up bigtime in AZ. Cannot wait to see him and Gronk together in top form........

It will be interesting to see how they handle the injury with the TNF game coming up on a short week next Thursday.

I don't see any scenario where Gronk will play in both week two and week three. I think there's a much higher chance of him missing both than playing in both, as reported today by Adam Schefter.

The good news is that Bennett is here. He adds another layer of physicality to this offense.

Mitchell>LaFell IMHO

Haven't seen a guy on this team with stickier hands in a while.

From a 49ers site

The Cardinals are currently a 9.5-point favorite the Patriots. The line has swung three points over the past 24 hours following word that TE Rob Gronkowski, OT Nate Solder, and OG Jonathan Cooper will not play. The line was at Cardinals -6 thanks to Tom Brady’s suspension, and if you had a chance to get the Cardinals at that early number, it is looking like a good bet. I wouldn’t put anything past a Bill Belichick-coached team, but this will certainly be a stiff test.

Patriots-Cardinals SNF game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back