PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overall We Are Not As Good As Last Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Edelman is back to 90-95% of who he was, the offense is immediately and vastly better.
He won't be a 90/1000/5td player and they don't need to to be.

Way too early to determine the identify of this 2018 team that yet has been finalized, sure some of the loses will be offset by the gains, and those that buy into the system, i will wait till the first preseason game to see what my eyes tell me , we won with0ut gronk, and won with him love #80 but we will survive, wish danny nothing but the best, but i think its premature to push the panic button or pencil them in for another SB appearance

Let’s just improve the defense.

Offense was more than good enough to win it last year. We have won it all in the past with inferior offenses (see 2014)

Defense is key.

The OP is a solid poster. I think he's trying to reconcile all out the roster moves, losses and players who were injured and coming back the rest of us

If that's the purpose then I would respectfully submit that it is far and away too soon to evaluate this roster in any meaningful way.

Let’s just improve the defense.

Offense was more than good enough to win it last year. We have won it all in the past with inferior offenses (see 2014)

Defense is key.
Colts with Peyton felt they would win a few without a D , lucky for them they ran into the Grossman ran Bears, which the browns could have beaten

Note Correction by Phil Pats fan

Last edited:
Definitely wonder if all of our big moves are finished, or if a Moss-esque trade will come later in the offseason.

Colts with Peyton felt they would win a few without a D , lucky for them they ran into the cutler ran Bears, which the browns could have beaten
Wasn't it a Rex Grossman Bears...an even more mediocre QB...??
And Peyton was 3Td/7 int that post season.. That was when the Colts run defense went from worst in the league to world beaters......They carried him like the Broncos defense carried him when he threw for a whopping 141 yards in the other win.....

They have lost some good players recently.

BUT they are re-introducing their best player on D and third best player on O.

IMO, that makes them better vs where they were in December 2017. Are they worse than they were in March 2017?

I can't remember. I like to drink.

More or less at this point in 2017, some were writing the Pats were supposedly an unstoppable juggernaut with sites set on 19-0. It took exactly 1 regular season game to shut that chatter down. By game 4, the sky was falling.

Not sure if I would call the team better or worse at this point. The O-line is a concern of course, but last year stands as a strong lesson that team performance requires more than names. Let's see how many of these pieces fit the plans. Right now, there are too many questions (Jules, Gronk, Harmon, etc.) as to what the team has on its roster to answer.

I said the defense is better, and the offense might be OK, depending on the play at OT (and additional of a LT). [I ignore the possibility of losing Cooks or ground]

We expect to have production from new draftees and other additions plus we expect some production from those injured who are coming back. The open question is whether this will offset this year's injuries.
We’re better than the team that lost Super Bowl. A bunch of guys back from IR, new fa’s and a looming draft.

I said the defense is better, and the offense might be OK, depending on the play at OT (and additional of a LT). [I ignore the possibility of losing Cooks or ground]

We expect to have production from new draftees and other additions plus we expect some production from those injured who are coming back. The open question is whether this will offset this year's injuries.
Kind of disappointed, mg. I expected a long and detailed exposition defending the OP. Instead, we got a few sentences that sounded more like the title page of a position paper that had no explanation

A couple of general thoughts:

1. The offseason is so far from being over it's not funny. There will be another 5 MONTHS of additions and subtractions before the "team-building" process ends and the "final" team is what it is. And even that's not the truth as we saw the many changes we made during this past season. So trying to determine whether or not we are better or worse right now is a fool's errand by definition. And if we were really honest, it's not something we really have a handle on until early November.

2. If you think about it, almost EVERY team "gets better" on paper during the offseason.
All the bad teams are having a great time thinking about the great draft picks they'll be adding. Then there have been all the early trades and FA pickups that will make a team's fans smile. So generally its not a matter of whether your team got better, its a matter of how MUCH better it got.

3. And just to add my 2 cents to the opinion parade, my thinking is that we HAVE gotten better in some ways. The DL is significantly better with the additions of Shelton and Claybourn. The LBs SHOULD be better just adding Hightower, Langi, and Rivers....and that's before we get to the draft. And finally, the secondary SHOULD be better with the addition of Jason McCourty plus the return of CJones and JJones.

4. And just a few thoughts about the dearly departed.

a. I loved Danny Amendola. I defended him often in his early days, and I relished every clutch play he's made since. But the fact of the matter is that the Pats lost a 33-year-old, 4th or 5th WR, whose body type makes him subject to injuries. Really glad he got another big payday, but c'mon. Is this offense suddenly going to come to a screeching halt because DA isn't here??? Especially when you consider we are getting back a better version of DA with a 90% Edelman

b. I loved Nate Solder and think he's been a great LT for the last 7 years here. I loved his effort, his family, and more important his overall effectiveness in doing his job. But the fact is he isn't worth being the highest paid OLman in the league. He was an elite run blocker, but just a decent-good pass blocker.

In the end, this will be like so many times before in this run. We are losing an excellent player because his market value has exceeded his overall value to this team. It hurts when it happens but it happens, and we move on. Keeping him meant being totally hamstrung with the cap. What we don't see are the subsequent loses that might have happened by keeping him. No MFlowers, no, Claybourn, no Slater, and other possible small role players that would hurt the overall team.

So while this loss hurt, the return of Marcus Cannon and Waddle should make the OT position at least 90% of what it was last year, while the I'd like to think the young interior lineman will be better than last year. I content Cannon at LT might be an improvement in the pass blocking area. So while this area has some questions that need to be resolved, it's not like we have to replace the entire position like we did the WR's in 2006. We will survive.

c. Dion Lewis was the guy I would have kept, but I know we couldn't have both James White AND Lewis' salaries on the books at the same time. Personally, I would have kept Lewis and moved White, but I understand why BB didn't. Lewis is clearly the better RB, but White has been clearly the most dependable RB the Pats have had over the last 2 seasons. I still cringe every time they hand the ball off to him, but he is an outstanding receiver and is always available to play.

d. Malcolm Butler. I loved his story, I loved his feistiness, I loved his play his 2nd and 3rd seasons with the Pats. However, the fact remains that there could be a case made that Jonathan Jones was the more effective CB last season. Really glad he got paid, but equally glad that the Pats weren't the team that had to pay him. Again, his market value had exceeded his value to THIS team

So mark me down as believing that as of TODAY the Pats are at least as good as they were last season, and last season's team was just a defensive stop away from another Superbowl win (Boy does that sound familiar. ;) ) But again, "being better" during the offseason is a very relative and subjective term. That's another way of saying, while this post has been fun to write, it's pretty much useless information in the great scheme of things.

Last edited:
There are no games today. We don’t know who is being added in (and after) the draft. We don’t know which of last year’s rookies will emerge.

They are still one of the strongest teams in the league. NE just needs a few breaks when it counts in early 2019.

Way too early to determine the identify of this 2018 team that yet has been finalized, sure some of the loses will be offset by the gains, and those that buy into the system, i will wait till the first preseason game to see what my eyes tell me , we won with0ut gronk, and won with him love #80 but we will survive, wish danny nothing but the best, but i think its premature to push the panic button or pencil them in for another SB appearance

Please stop with the optimistic posts, it's supposed to be doom and gloom 24/7 around here...

:D

Of course they aren't. Last year they went 15-4. They are 0-0 right now. :)

I think it comes down to gronk in all honesty. Losing both gronk on top of da would be a big loss, at least during the first half of the season while je11 is getting reacclimated. It means that 3 of your surest hands are not there or getting back to game shape.

Defense, I think we are better. I think J. mcCourty in 2017 and Butler in 2017 is close enough (within 90% of overall play) if not a total wash. We added shelton, who appears to be a better player than 2017 Branch. We added clayborn and get high back.

Okay, right now?

QB = WASH

RB: Lewis vs. Hill...WORSE

WR: Amendola vs. Edelman, Mitchell, Patterson = BETTER
(Plus, Dorsett and Britt on second year in system)

OT: Solder, Waddle/Fleming vs. Canon, Waddle = WORSE (sightly)

IntOL: Better - 5 guys with another year together. Continuity is everything in an OL.

TE = WASH

DL: Shelton, Clayborn vs. Branch, Ricky Jean Francois = BETTER

LB: Hightower, Rivers, Langi back = BETTER

CB: Butler vs LMac = WASH (in fact, counting 2017 Butler = better)

S: WASH

Before the last moves, before the draft, before we see if Langi, Rivers, Wise, A. Butler, JJones improve and force playing time, this team is better than the SB team. Yeah, injuries happen, but the Pats were especially whacked last year with Edelman, HT, Rivers, Canon, Mitchell...Hogan was playing hurt by the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore