PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Aging OL and the Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

notex

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is thinking as far as our OL situation goes... It seems we have some MAJOR holes to fill next year

Between Kaczur (Back/ Old)
Light (Old)
Koppen (Old)
Neal (prob. going to retire/ old)
Mankins (not coming back)

we are really only left with Connelly and Vollmer. I know we have insurance in guys like Levoir / Ohrnberger/ Ojinnaka but I can see the patriots using at least a few of our top picks on the OL this year in the draft . How pressing to you see the issue of upgrading our line.

Everyone expects us to use all these picks at WR/RB ect... But I see the need on the OL more

Just wondering what everyone is thinking as far as our OL situation goes... It seems we have some MAJOR holes to fill next year

Light (Old)
Koppen (Old)

we are really only left with Connelly and Vollmer. I know we have insurance in guys like Levoir / Ohrnberger/ Ojinnaka but I can see the patriots using at least a few of our top picks on the OL this year in the draft . How pressing to you see the issue of upgrading our line.

Everyone expects us to use all these picks at WR/RB ect... But I see the need on the OL more

OL is the only section that ain't young. So yeah. We got 7 picks in 4 rounds. I figure 2-3 of them will be a WR/RB. That leaves some for the OL.

I would speculate that Ohrnberger is being groomed to replace Neal.

Light (Old)
Koppen (Old)

I've said this numerous times before- I would like to see a new LT, OG, and possibly center, before we even think about WR or RB.

I would be more open to signing an OL stud w/ our 1st or 2nd overall selections......

OL are surer bets than any other position........ Sign a top OL-man

and Brady will be set for protection the rest of his career as a Patriot.:)

Additionally,I would also dedicate a 3rd rounder or 4th to the offensive line.

:):):)

OL is the only section that ain't young. So yeah. We got 7 picks in 4 rounds. I figure 2-3 of them will be a WR/RB. That leaves some for the OL.

Why do you think they'll draft a WR high?

And Kaczur isn't old.

OL is the least of this team's problems right now.They need pass rushers.

I want defenders, though if a top WR falls to us, I grab him.

My hopes in order: DE, OLB, WR, OL, and only then RB.

Why do you think they'll draft a WR high?

And Kaczur isn't old.

Kaczur ain't old in years. But in terms of wear and tear he is.

I don't if they will draft a WR "high" But I certainly could see one in the first 4 rounds particularly if he can take over Tate's or Welker's role as KR/PR.

But BAP.

OL is the least of this team's problems right now.They need pass rushers.

and they shall receive. OL is still a need.

1 or 2 would go towards a rusher..... as should a 1 or 2 go towards a LT.

I was thinking the Pats would use one of the earlier picks on an offensive linemen last spring, though it was not a total shock that they did not. The situation would certainly look better had the team been able to reach an agreement with Mankins, and then it got worse with Kaczur's injury.

I guess I was overly optimistic when Larsen was drafted; I envisioned him as the starting center in 2011 after a year with Dante. Now at this point Koppen and the center position is probably only the third position of concern on the line.

Neal is signed through 2011, but that doesn't really mean much of anything. He seriously considered retirement last year, and you have to wonder how much longer he can be counted on to play without his body breaking down after the injuries he has had since SB42.

But the biggest off season decision will probably be what to do with Matt Light. His contract expires after this season; how much money will he be looking for? If he leaves Vollmer would presumably start at LT, but what about RT? Put Kaczur back there until a rookie is ready to take over?

Should make for an interesting draft and free agency next spring, assuming of course there is no lockout.

Based on what I've seen, I hope not.

Well, this is just an observation I remember from preseason, but that's what Box O' Rocks predicted.

He's clearly not ready now but we'll see. Dante has definitely worked miracles before; I think the most apt example would be Dan Connolly of '09 vs. Dan Connolly of '10.

IIRC the 2011 draft is pretty crappy at OT, not sure about interior lineman. So if we're looking to replace Light, I'm not sure if there's a talent available that would allow us to do so. Something that perhaps the draftniks can expound upon.

Last edited:
Well, this is just an observation I remember from preseason, but that's what Box O' Rocks predicted.

He's clearly not ready now but we'll see. Dante has definitely worked miracles before; I think the most apt example would be Dan Connolly of '09 vs. Dan Connolly of '10.

IIRC the 2011 draft is pretty crappy at OT, not sure about interior lineman. So if we're looking to replace Light, I'm not sure if there's a talent available that would allow us to do so. Something that perhaps the draftniks can expound upon.

Vollmer would replace Light and Kaczur would move back over to RT. It would be the interior O-Line that we would, and should, be looking at.

Last edited:
Vollmer would replace Light and Kaczur would move back over to RT. It would be the interior O-Line that we would, and should, be looking at.

I'm a little wary of Kaczur at RT. He's serviceable, but to my eyes the OL has looked much better this season without him playing.

I agree that interior should be the focus, and specifically finding a replacement for Koppen as I think he's winding down.

OL regularly play at a very high level until they're 35 or so.. so I don't think age should be a huge concern yet on most of our guys.

Exactly. Contrary to belief around here, Kazcur isn't a bad RT. Hes just not a great one, and thats fine.

We need guards, bad. Then a center. Then worry about replacing Kazcur.

Would be really nice if Mankins signs. Neal is not coming back next year.

OL regularly play at a very high level until they're 35 or so.. so I don't think age should be a huge concern yet on most of our guys.

Not the left tackle. The left tackle should always be at peak level. My hope is that we can draft a LT with our #1 and have him spend one year in the system, and we'll see Matt Light retire after the next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back