PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Other OC candidates for Pats to consider (besides McDaniels and Caley)

If lack of salary is stopping us from hiring a good offensive coaching staff, we need to let Kraft know somehow this isn’t the take a pay break patriots.

Just go radical. We have nothing to lose.. who knows we create the next sean McVay... interview as many folks as needed , keep experience as a criteria but not the only criteria and see what plans they have for our QBs - Mac, Zappe, rookie, vet like brissett etc.

Ben johnson was not highly touted when he joined lions. Dan Campbell was universally panned. I started liking Dan from the latter part of 1st season and now they are a phenom.

Sometimes you need to take risks and we are in a position now where we can take lots of risks. Nothing to lose as we are in the abyss of ineptitude.
do you expect an early burn out from Dan Campbell? Hard to keep up that kick-ass/take names energy over a long period of time...

1. Frank Reich
2. Darrell Bevel
3. Mike McCoy
4. Klint Kubiak
5. Kliff Kingsbury
6. Tee Martin
7. Arthur Smith
8. Gregg Olsen
9. Eric Bienemy
10. Mike Shula
11. Brian Griese
12. Luke Getsy
Beienemy would be my choice.

If lack of salary is stopping us from hiring a good offensive coaching staff, we need to let Kraft know somehow this isn’t the take a pay break patriots.
I honestly believe guys are taking what they feel are better opportunities...

do you expect an early burn out from Dan Campbell? Hard to keep up that kick-ass/take names energy over a long period of time...
Maybe you have a point. All I am saying is we don't know what will be successful. Everything is transient . What worked 5 years back doesn't work now. The GOAT coach is unemployed now. So better to spread the netbwide and see what different candidates see as opportunities within pats and go from there .. I don't think any of the stable ones or good ones will come here. So if somebody comes here it will be either someone who has lost their job or are in verge of losing it or someone who is a daredevil with limited experience but a certain amount of flamboyance and risk appetite. We should be looking at the latter.

I honestly believe guys are taking what they feel are better opportunities...
sad if true, but there seem to be more than enough decent candidates that is someone wanted an OC position regardless of team there would be good coaches out there.
I just hope they do not wait too long for others to make their decision. Its not a good look and it feels like "desperation"

sad if true, but there seem to be more than enough decent candidates that is someone wanted an OC position regardless of team there would be good coaches out there.
I just hope they do not wait too long for others to make their decision. Its not a good look and it feels like "desperation"
Agreed! It's just... if we had say an 8-9 season, and looked like a decent offense I believe prospects would be more inclined. But it just goes to the current state notably the QB position. I think the team probably already knows who they want to hire, and to me I think it's either going to be Caley or Josh coming back.

My binkie is Griese. Look what he has done as QB coach with Purdy. He knows the Shanahan system too. He looks like a good guy to have to develop a rookie QB. Don't know how good he is at calling plays and gameplans though. Not sure how involved he is in either area.

My binkie is Griese. Look what he has done as QB coach with Purdy. He knows the Shanahan system too. He looks like a good guy to have to develop a rookie QB. Don't know how good he is at calling plays and gameplans though. Not sure how involved he is in either area.
Can the shanahan system be implemented without kyle shanahan though?

Would be a amazing pick up.

Mike McDaniel is running a Shanahan's system with a few twists. DeMeco Ryan and Bobby Slowik seem to be doing a good job with in Houston.

Griese is 48. He has been coaching a total of 2 of those 48 years.

Can the Pats offensive line even handle playing a Shanahan/Mcvay scheme. Fat Matt failed trying to make that happen. Sometimes it’s the coach..sometimes it’s not the players strength.

Any OC we are going with should have absolute freedom in choosing their preferred Offensive players in the Draft and FA.

No they shouldn’t, that’s for the HC and personnel department. Position coaches and coordinators get some input but the ultimate decision is either for the coach, or head of personnel.

Mike McDaniel is running a Shanahan's system with a few twists. DeMeco Ryan and Bobby Slowik seem to be doing a good job with in Houston.
Yup. It's really turning out to be one of those systems that people can replicate and find success.

McVay was with Shanahan and he's done just fine. Not nearly as much razzle dazzle as Shanahan does. McDaniel has also done well (lots of razzle dazzle), but his teams will continue to flame out without an intermediate WR/TE. Their offense is throw deep or nothing. When teams take it away, they are dead to rights. QB is also meh.
Fat Matt failed trying to make that happen. Sometimes it’s the coach..sometimes it’s not the players strength.
Asking someone to run an offense they don't have experience with isn't going to end well. That's like someone from another team deciding they are just going to copy Bill's defense just from looking at some tape.

Mayo undoubtedly dies not have the same contacts within coaching circles that a Vrabel or Harbaugh has. Huge disadvantage when it comes to naming a coach with little experience.
Kraft needs to be willing above market for a top tier coordinator to help out Mayo

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back