PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - your most impressive athletic achievements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I was playing baseball, our team was playing our neighboring towns team. Huge rivals. Well the other teams fan crowd included a hot girl. Everybody on my team took notice. So some kid on my team says if someone hits a homerun and points to her while rounding 3rd, that he would give them 20 bucks. So either my first or 2nd at bat I take a strike, I say to myself if I get that same pitch, I'm hitting it over the fence. Sure enough, same pitch, ball over the fence, rounding 3rd, point at girl, still haven't gotten that 20 bucks but everybody got a good laugh out of it. Not sure the girl saw me point at her though

If we are morphing into sports and women, let me add mine... In grad school in Boston, I ran 10ks nearly every week. Never a great time but I broke 50 minutes and was happy. I see this attractive woman and start talking to her after one race and ask her for her number. " Nope" she replies and " and I'll tell you why." Great I'm getting shot down and she will make it worse. She told me that my girlfriend had lived in her apartment before her and she would be freaked out by dating a guy who had dated multiple residents of the same apartment. I had broken up with my previous girlfriend after I had helped move her out of said apartment while this girl was moving in . She remembered me but I didn't remember her... What are the odds that in the entire city of Boston, I find somebody who lived in the same apartment as my ex.....???

8q41sfx9riqzxqfvsgvzf.gif

I had some amazing high bar skills...
I was thinking some more about this one.... and it is pretty amazing what he was doing in this clip.. I try to imagine it, and then I can feel how on the second loop he just can't hang on with his hands anymore.. he just can't.

I scored 2 defensive TDs in high school on fumble returns, one of like 7 and one of like 60.

Also made league all star my senior year as an LB for the only school in our prep league that didn't actually recruit atheetes

I've been boxing/kickboxing for years and as a relatively old guy now I still get in the ring for fight nights exhibitions in my local gym. Here's my last fight against a guy with 30 lbs and -15 years on me and I'm in the right-hand corner:

Three skydiving medals at the national championships, 1 in 4-way, 2 in 8-way.

Three half ironmans, a bunch over of cycling races over 100 miles in length.

At 180 pounds and no roids I benched over 2X my weight at 365LB and that was no bounce or arched back. I squatted 465 pounds for 6 clean reps going down to parallel.

Just realized I played against teams coached by 2 of the coaches in the 4 games tonight.

Hike/running a Presidential Traverse and Great Range traverse in one calendar day (midnight start Presi traverse than a long morning drive to the ADK!). ~43 miles 18K elevation gain in ~22.5 hours.

Completing a sub-24 hour White Mountain hut-2-hut. ~50 miles and 17K elevation gain in 17:24. Painful but 'fun'.

That's it for me.

Got charged by a grizzly bear and didn't pee my pants....

Caught a line drive behind my back playing SS during practice.
Coach said if I did that during a game I'd get benched.

It was just local softball.
Later on my buddy George said he would pick me up for the game. He shows up with the coaches wife in his truck...coach and she were on the outs. I rode the pine for a while after that. Thanks George!!!

Opposing players asked why I wasn't playing. Told them it was political.

At age 13 on a Boy Scout campout in Oklahoma, I heard the (surprisingly loud and unmistakable) rattle from a rattlesnake that I had almost stepped on in tall grass. The next thing I knew, it seemed like I was instantly 20 feet away, in my 13 year old mind I surmised that I jumped like a grasshopper that distance and set the world record for standing long jump. :D

I came from a freaky family genetically in the area of early physical maturity. My father was 6' at 12 years old. My sister was 5'10" at 12 and being groomed as an olympic swimmer. Never made it. I was 6'1", 180, in the 9th grade, 1958, and ran a 5.7 50 yard dash in tennis sneakers, on a dirt track. Last I checked, 20 years ago, it was still a 9th grade record at that school.

For that reason, genetics, I don't put much stock in athletic ability. Much of the time it has nothing to do with the individual.

Last edited:
Wow! Time has certainly not diminished the memories of early triumphs in all of your athletic endeavours. I humbly pride myself in a wide range of mediocrity. The only overt but fleeting celebrity that stands flaming away in my past was 1957. Grade 4. First warm dry day of the year. I got called over 4 times and broke through every time. I know. I know. Hard to believe eh? But that kid in the wheelchair couldn't hold on to that other kid in the hockey helmet's hand. Saw the opening and took.
Like I said. Amazing but sadly fleeting.

I'm gonna put up my Mom's accomplishments: she's 96, lives alone, does the crossword every day, and still drives. Sure, her driving sucks, and mailboxes around here are definitely at risk, but she's still a safer bet than your average 16-year-old or gin-soaked soccor mom, or aggro lunatics like me, for that matter. She's still out there competing on America's highways. (She's white and slow, if that matters to anybody.)

Never was blessed with much athletic ability, but always tried even though I was sometimes embarrassed.. in high school did not make the football team, but became the team "manager" so I could travel with the team.

Admire the achievements posted on this board.. in the meantime will continue to sharpen my golf game.

My inglorious football (soccer) career ended with an arthritic knee. I played for the FC Fechenheim 03 SOMA -- probably the lowest level of competitive football there is for adults. Still, we paid our dues to the Deutscher Fussball-Bund and I had a Spielerpass just like Franz Beckenbauer. And when it came to partying!

I think that everyone should have something that they do badly -- just because they're passionate about it. I always loved sports, despite being really naturally unathletic. Still do.

Dec 21 001 copy.jpg

I've been boxing/kickboxing for years and as a relatively old guy now I still get in the ring for fight nights exhibitions in my local gym. Here's my last fight against a guy with 30 lbs and -15 years on me and I'm in the right-hand corner:

You threw that dude out of the club. :D

I never recorded an out my Freshman year of Varsity baseball. Batted 1000.

Unfortunately that included defense (cf)where I couldn't catch a cold.

I quit baseball after my freshman year and played golf where I was all state the next 3 years.

Never was blessed with much athletic ability, but always tried even though I was sometimes embarrassed.. in high school did not make the football team, but became the team "manager" so I could travel with the team.

Admire the achievements posted on this board.. in the meantime will continue to sharpen my golf game.
I never recorded an out my Freshman year of Varsity baseball. Batted 1000.

Unfortunately that included defense (cf)where I couldn't catch a cold.

I quit baseball after my freshman year and played golf where I was all state the next 3 years.

Golf is the greatest game. It's like playing chess with a ball. It's also something that you don't have to be very good at to enjoy.

I wonder what it was like to play with stymies (not marking the ball even when it's in the way). A lot of greens must have been chewed up over that rule.

As for golf achievements, I had only 2 hole-in-ones but they came in the same year, 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back