PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - your most impressive athletic achievements

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Nothing here needs to be high level. It can even be pretty tongue and cheek. Tell us something athletic or "athletic" you did that you in the past.

2 of mine: I happen to be great at this one basketball shot. From legally in court I shoot behind the backboard and it goes over the backboard through the net.

Another is I made 3 clutch shots in a row (last life) to take a beer pong game into triple overtime and then won it. :)

The first inning I pitched. I could hit the low 80s when I was 12 (I was super into baseball and had a ball that would measure your speed) I spent every summer pitching to a tree. Life's tough when you grow up in the boonies.

Anyways I tore up the meat of their lineup with stuff they had never seen. I'm talking some of our league's best hitters whiffing on everything. Fast, curving **** that they couldn't even touch and would land in the strikezone. Nobody had ever seen anything like me, the parents were all talking, the coaches were like 'holy ****'. Our catcher was asking me to tone it down because he was scared of how hard I was throwing.

11 pitches, 3 strikeouts.

Next inning: Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, walked 5 people and was benched.

I was known as a lock down defender in basketball and I always drew the other team's best offensive perimeter player. In the final game of our Brooklyn summer tournament one year I held the best scorer (averaged 28 ppg) to four points. He was dynamic, could use both hands equally well, fast and quick, switched directions on a dime. I could go on... he really was that good. Anyway, I studied him for weeks and I shut him down. I really was thinking I wasn't going to spot him more than ten points. We still somehow lost the game though. I was the talk of our corner of the city for a few weeks. It was cool.

I toured for two years with a professional performance company -- acrobatics, cirque, and dance type stuff. I established and operated a parkour gym for a few years. I can still tightrope, backflip, handstand, etc, at a competent level, although I'm not exactly performance ready anymore.

Here are a few random clips from the last few years. Nothing too crazy, just the footage I happen to have on hand:

I once played on a rec league team in San Diego( I was in my late 20's), that had 2 NBA players on it. Not retired. One was the infamous Marvin " Bad News" Barnes, who I could tell you some stories about,but I won't. He had been released following yet another drug suspension. Was still close to his prime and was working out in SD trying to catch on with the San Diego Clippers( b4 they moved to LA). The other guy was a guard named Stan P.(Polish name-no way I can spell it),who was on the Clippers roster and played briefly with us while rehabbing an injury. Both guys played again in the NBA after that.
But get this: we were the WORST team in the league. A lot of former NBA players in that league. I guess they liked the weather. I was the PG. One guy I remember on another team was Cornell Green, who had been a really good power forward- maybe Milwaukee? He was only a couple years retired and he just killed us. Some serious comp. in that league. Don't know what I was doing playing with all those guys lol.

Sucked at athletics. Didn't help that as a kid I was asthmatic, missing lots of school. Inhalers not invented. Asthma stopped so I came late to sports mid high school when most kids had been developing skills for years. Only thing I could do was play after school tackle football which I loved.

1. Moved into town as the new kid in HS. Sophomore schoolmates needed a 5th guy for their intramural team. I had never played basketball or been on an actual basketball court. I get the ball, I'm excited, and toss up an airball, at OUR OWN BASKET. We lost 82-10. Talk of the school!

2. Pushing 50 and by this time had played lots of pickup b-ball. Still sucked, "The Bricklayer" but was a actually a pretty good KC Jones style defender. Anyhow I'm interviewing with this CEO at his mansion for a VP of Engineering job. It was obvious I was not a fit. Walking me out, he took me over to this big barn like new building away from his house. We go inside and its a full court basketball court. I reach down, pick up a ball, say "Nothing but net!" and drain a long 3 pointer. Said, "Nice court!" shook hands & left.

3. Always the QB in various company football scrimmages. At DEC the manufacturing guys used to rag on the geeky engineers. I challenged them to a 11 on 11 flag football game. We'd work thru lunch but could see mfg outside at their official lunch break practicing. Guys were begging me to find someone else to play instead of them. So we start. Mfg guys really wanted a piece of me. I admit I run my mouth. Threw my 1st 2 passes into the ground. Tight, nervous. We killed them. I had a 5' 7" Edelman they simply could not cover. TD passes galore.
DEC outlawed football because several guys missed work with various injuries.

Back when I was playing pee-wee hockey, we got our ass kicked by that team that had that ONE kid that was really good. Like, REALLY good! We lost 8-1 and he scored all 8 goals.

Next time we faced them, the coach asked me to shadow him. Being the little ******* that I was, I also chirped him all game long. He took two penalties on me and I scored on the PP both times... we won 2-0 :)

I had a few 5-point games, hat tricks, etc, but that's the performance I am the most proud of.

Won championships in football (played CB), hockey (center/winger), baseball (shortstop) and soccer (striker) too.

LOL, @fnordcircle - your story is eerily similar to mine, though I did not live in the boonies nor did I possess an 80 mph fastball.

Little League baseball. The best players got to play the whole game, the rest got substituted and only played 2-3 innings. I don't remember the details but our team needed a catcher. I jumped at the opportunity because that meant I would play the whole game.

Soon I became very good at the position, probably the best in the league. With more at bats I had became our team's best/2nd best hitter too. By then what I really wanted to do was pitch. I would throw the ball back to our pitcher as hard as I could in an attempt to impress my coach. My pitchers would complain; at times after catching my throw they would wince in pain, even going so far as to take off their glove and shake their hand it was so sore.

Eventually got my chance. First two batters both struck out on three pitches. Next guy kept fouling off pitches and eventually walked. Struck out the next batter to end the inning.

Coach had a big smile as we returned to the dugout. Whole team was jubilant. Life was grand.

Until the next inning.

Similarly, for whatever reason I could not get the ball over the plate. Our opponent - comprised entirely of friends and neighbors who went to the same elementary school as me - batted around. I took a little heat off the fastball, just trying to avoid more walks. Next thing I know there's a monstrous high fly ball over the left field fence, grand slam. Some dork in right field was yelling to take me out, and our opponent's dugout was going crazy. It was a Southwest Airlines "Want To Get Away" real life moment. I managed to finish the inning without further damage and the coach mercifully brought in somebody else to pitch the next inning.

Next game it was back to catcher - and I never got another chance to pitch again.

Not the greatest of athletes but I had hops for a 6'0 guy. In a rec league in my 20's went up for a rebound while the ball was in the cylinder and got 5 inches over the rim and tipped it in/jammed it depending on your perspective. It was offensive goal-tending either way.One of the other players was screaming "offensive goal-tending" but I just looked at him and said, " I wish I could jump high enough to commit offensive goal-tending". The ref let it go and never called it..

Coed softball league the same year. One of the women on the other team was annoying everybody to no end. The cars were parking way out in right field ( I'm a leftie dead pull hitter). When she wouldn't shut up, I asked where her car was parked. She pointed it out like expecting I'd never hit it.. Next pitch was grooved and I drove it headed right for her windshield. right fielder caught it right in front of her car but to hear her shrieking was worth it... She never annoyed me after that....

one time, at band camp....

anyway, 15 years old 1 hitter w 17 Ks in babe ruth....

benched 375 back in the day and would regularly do more 225 reps than guys in the nfl...i used to find some guys my size - mostly linebackers and beat 'em :) jamie collins did like 18 or 19 reps...beat that easy....hahahaha!

and i never took anything other than creatine, protein, aminos, and pre workouts...probably could only fire up 8 or 9 reps of 225 these days as arthritis, too much beer, and age has caught up with me!

Sucked at athletics. Didn't help that as a kid I was asthmatic, missing lots of school. Inhalers not invented. Asthma stopped so I came late to sports mid high school when most kids had been developing skills for years. Only thing I could do was play after school tackle football which I loved.

1. Moved into town as the new kid in HS. Sophomore schoolmates needed a 5th guy for their intramural team. I had never played basketball or been on an actual basketball court. I get the ball, I'm excited, and toss up an airball, at OUR OWN BASKET. We lost 82-10. Talk of the school!

2. Pushing 50 and by this time had played lots of pickup b-ball. Still sucked, "The Bricklayer" but was a actually a pretty good KC Jones style defender. Anyhow I'm interviewing with this CEO at his mansion for a VP of Engineering job. It was obvious I was not a fit. Walking me out, he took me over to this big barn like new building away from his house. We go inside and its a full court basketball court. I reach down, pick up a ball, say "Nothing but net!" and drain a long 3 pointer. Said, "Nice court!" shook hands & left.

3. Always the QB in various company football scrimmages. At DEC the manufacturing guys used to rag on the geeky engineers. I challenged them to a 11 on 11 flag football game. We'd work thru lunch but could see mfg outside at their official lunch break practicing. Guys were begging me to find someone else to play instead of them. So we start. Mfg guys really wanted a piece of me. I admit I run my mouth. Threw my 1st 2 passes into the ground. Tight, nervous. We killed them. I had a 5' 7" Edelman they simply could not cover. TD passes galore.
DEC outlawed football because several guys missed work with various injuries.
That basket should have landed you the job. ;)

Winning the 200m, 400m and Discus on the same day at a track & field meet would be right up there for me as an individual, as a team accomplishment...The youth Rugby League team I was on going unbeaten for 2 years.

I played major junior hockey in Canada, basically flunked out of school and played 2 years in low level leagues in Europe. Then went to school and graduated from university.

My two biggest achievements was being a runner-up in the mini one-on-one. Also, when the all-star game was in Boston they invited a bunch of kids to play with USA miracle on ice team and practice with the celebrity all-stars, which was cool for a little kid.

My one regret was that because of hockey i could not play varsity football. In my mind i would have been a good corner or safety (in reality i probably would have been too slow and been the team leader in penalties).

I played major junior hockey in Canada, basically flunked out of school and played 2 years in low level leagues in Europe. Then went to school and graduated from university.

My two biggest achievements was being a runner-up in the mini one-on-one. Also, when the all-star game was in Boston they invited a bunch of kids to play with USA miracle on ice team and practice with the celebrity all-stars, which was cool for a little kid.

My one regret was that because of hockey i could not play varsity football. In my mind i would have been a good corner or safety (in reality i probably would have been too slow and been the team leader in penalties).

Where did you play in Canada? East Coast guys generally play in the Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News