PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:With the Passing Of Red..I wonder,Will BB someday be regarded as...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots4Ever

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
With Ol Red' having passed away,Bless his soul.I wonder.Do you all think Bill will stay with us for quite a while longer? As I see it ,BB is currently 54.So Definately still youthful enough to be with us for 10 years right? I know all of us would love to see that happen.By that time.He would have put in a solid 15 years with the team.I guess what im getting at here is,Are those of you in the Boston area able to speculate at all as to why he WOULDNT want to be here for another 10-15 years? I know he was having some issues in his personal life,though I had heard he had straighted that up.Am I asking too much here? The Thought Of Losing Bill as our Coach is too much to bear.Thoughts?? To Me.He seems pretty happy here.I guess thats a positive.lol

speaking as a fan who knows absolutely nothing about his life, i dont see a reason to coach anywhere else. He has an owner that never gets in the way, Pioli works with him on everything. He has pretty much everything an NFL coach can ask for. And will be regarded like red when he moves on? I think he can but lets not forget just what red did. 11 championships in 12 years....thats mind blowing.

desi-patsfan said:
speaking as a fan who knows absolutely nothing about his life, i dont see a reason to coach anywhere else. He has an owner that never gets in the way, Pioli works with him on everything. He has pretty much everything an NFL coach can ask for. And will be regarded like red when he moves on? I think he can but lets not forget just what red did. 11 championships in 12 years....thats mind blowing.

It is definately mind blowing.Thats CRAZY!

Half the legend about Red Auerbach was his colorful personality. There will never be another Red.

BB is carving out his own niche no doubt, but unless he opens up a bit more on a personal level, he will never be the civic icon Red was. BB has definitely loosened up as the years have gone on and he does seem to be enjoying himself more with the media (the LaRussa shirt, the Chad Johnson stuff, etc.).

To me and many who are diehard pats fans, BB in his way, is an even more fascinating person than Red. I can guarantee you he'd be a better conversationalist than Auerbach about welfare reform or the Turkish genocide of Armenians, etc.

They were/are both champion coaches/administrators who set a new standard in their sports. Red, however was an electric personality. When he entered a room or went on TV, the electricity jolted up.

desi-patsfan said:

You can add 5 more championships in 2 different eras as G.M.

Drafting Bird a year before he was eligible and trading the #1 and a middle first for Parish and McHale is a mind boggling transformation in 2 years.

No one will have the sort of impact Red had on his sport, the times are just different now.

However his genius in recognizing Brady as a winner and leveraging that is similar to Red seeing how special B Russell (IMO the greatest 'team' athlete of all time) was. Hopefully Brady and BB will combine for more championships to make the comparison better. ;)

I'll just repeat what I said in the original Auerbach thread:

JoeSixPat said:
It is relevant to the Patriots.

The Auerbach Celtics played as a team and broke ground by doing so. The BB Patriots have done exactly that - that's the secret to the dynasty.

All Red wanted to do was win. It didn't matter if Russell's statistics lagged behind Wilt's - the bottom line was the W and the Championship banner.

People give him credit for opening the door to the NBA for blacks, being the first person to start 5 black players, first to hire a black coach. It wasn't about race relations - he just wanted to win.

He was a coaching genius who had a system, picked the guys who fit into his system and stuck with them and the system to create a dynasty.

Sound familiar?

Thanks for setting us up with some great entertaining years of Basketball Red!

In as much as BB can be considered a coaching genius who stuck to a proven system, finding the guys that fit into that system, you can compare BB to Red

If BB had been in a different era, who knows what he had done, but Red was a pioneer in regard to his coaching and managment, and also helped move race relations along at a critical time regardless of whether it was a goal of his (its precisely because color didn't matter to him that it was such a major breakthrough - put the best guys on the court - period, regardless of color.)

So in that sense there's no way BB is going to come close to Red.

RayClay said:
You can add 5 more championships in 2 different eras as G.M.

Drafting Bird a year before he was eligible and trading the #1 and a middle first for Parish and McHale is a mind boggling transformation in 2 years.

And just think of what could have been... as we speak, Red's slapping Len Bias upside the head.

As far as being ahead of their time as coaches, yes they're both in a league of their own. Red is without peer, however, when considering colorfulness of personality and longevity of excellance with one team.

But we still have BB in his prime to appreciate and cheer. Let's all enjoy his genius while we can.

I'm a huge fan of BB but he has yet to come close to what Red did. BB is considered a great coach and other coaches try and emulate him but Red was someone who people couldn't and didn't emulate. BB will go down as possibly the greatest football coach. It will be debated. Red has no peer. He was a key person in making the NBA what is is today and I'm not even a basket ball guy.

JoeSixPat said:
And just think of what could have been... as we speak, Red's slapping Len Bias upside the head.

Oh, I love this post. What a visual!

Red was just one of a kind. Truly. Numbers can't tell the full story of his impact on the sport of basketball. Nowadays, I can't see anyone even having the opportunity to have that type of influence.

That being said, I want BB to be here making his mark woth this franchise for a long time.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents