PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Where do you rate Brady against other great athletes of other sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady is the greatest football player and one of the most accomplished pro athletes ever but how do you compare him to Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt and Michael Jordan who have superiority in terms of pure athleticism.
Who's Usain Bolt?
Jordan didn't have to compete against tough competition and lost when he did.
Phelps is prolific because he had more events requiring the same skill.

Tom Brady is numero Uno, El jefe......

after 21 time word champ Ric Flair. When Brady wins 21 titles, then we can start discussing him in the same breath as The Nature Boy....
"The stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' and dealin' son of a gun."

Tom Brady is numero Uno, El jefe......

after 21 time word champ Ric Flair. When Brady wins 21 titles, then we can start discussing him in the same breath as The Nature Boy....
"The stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' and dealin' son of a gun."
excited ric flair GIF

Seriously though his case for GOAT of the NFL is pretty strong, he’s on the Rushmore of the 4 major sports.

NBA=Jordan, not just for the rings and ability. He became a global icon that still endures today and transformed the game.

MLB=This one is trickier, I would guess the consensus is Ruth but I actually prefer the Say-hey Kid, Willie Mays. His numbers and accolades are insane.

NHL=It’s either Howe or The Great One. I believe Gretzky is the consensus so I’ll roll with that.

NFL=Tom Brady (surprise!) Stop, we all know his accomplishments, no deep dive needed.

As far as comparing Tom to players from other sports I’m not going to since it’s silly and I’ll leave it at that. I’d be unbelievably honored just to be considered the greatest in the history of a league.

Seriously though his case for GOAT of the NFL is pretty strong, he’s on the Rushmore of the 4 major sports.

MLB=This one is trickier, I would guess the consensus is Ruth but I actually prefer the Say-hey Kid, Willie Mays. His numbers and accolades are insane.
Hank Aaron and it's not even close (I'm from Atlanta)

I refuse to rank a team sport athlete in any way next to singles sports. When Ali gets in a ring, Phelps gets in a pool, or Bolt gets on a track, what they accomplish there is 100% all on their skill and you can't compare that to any team sports.

When it comes to team spots... well Basketball is tough. Jordan is the census GOAT but he has 6 rings. Russell has 11. Kareem has 6. Magic and Kobe have 5. Lebron has 4 with time to add. The sport is built up for juggernauts to dominate. The NFL isn't. Brady winning 7 when only one other guy has 5 and it was a dynasty hopper is ridiculous. He also did it in an era designed to prevent what he accomplished. Also statistically, Brady will retire in the top of the league for TD's and yards.

Hockey has Gretzky. Gretzky has less titles but his stats are stupid compared to everyone else. Like he's a true phenom and outlier. Probably the biggest outlier in team sports. That's a tough convo to have.

Ruth maybe. He played well on both offense and defense and won 7 titles and was the king of baseball. Segregated league is the biggest argument against him.

Soccer it's gotta be Messi/Pele/Maradonna. I'm not as knowledgeable on that.

Floyd Mayweather had 50 fights with 50 wins, 27 of those 50 Ws we're Knockouts. Then Bill Russell 11 rings.

Others to consider would be Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, Ted Williams, Jim Thorpe, Jessie Owens, Michael Phelps, Willie Mays, Bobby Orr, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Oscar, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger... I am probably forgetting some. Oh yeah, Cam. ;)
Orr was from Canada. But I like the idea of making an exception for him. ;)

Hollywood Hulk Hogan > Brady

Brother.

Football is the toughest sport to win consistently at because of injury and the cap/FA which is the era Brady played in for his entire career. That is why I give him the nod. Also in 20 years he is still in his prime and what he has achieved past the age of 40 is mind boggling and will never be duplicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes