PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What do you do if you’re the Bears GM at no. 1?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Bears this offseason should:

• Draft a QB 1st overall, package Fields for picks.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Stick by Fields, trade down from number 1 for picks.

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about this situation for them this offseason because it’s pretty interesting.

They have a QB in Fields that did make big strides this year. He’s now up with Lamar in regards to being the most dynamic QB running the football in the league. But while his passing ability did improve, it still leaves plenty to be desired. Maybe some of that can be blamed on the lack of talent surrounding him as well? But regardless..

Now the Bears find themselves with the top pick in the draft. They will evaluate 3-4 QB’s who will have the potential of being a high 1st round pick. If your ultimate goal as a franchise is to have the best QB running the ship possible, it feels like it would be smart to pull the trigger here.

Reasons why:

-You could say QB’s in the draft are no sure thing, and that’s accurate. But while Fields has shown promise, is he a sure thing?

-Money is a factor. Fields is already two years into his deal and will be due a much larger sum of money in a couple years, whereas if you start over, you have another four years of a rookie QB on a cheap contract to build this team up.

-Fields also has done enough to warrant some strong compensation. And he is early enough in his deal for a team to get him for cheap for a couple years. You think a team like Washington wouldn’t give up at least a 1? I would have to imagine they would. So while the draft compensation may not be as strong for Fields as it would for trading down from number 1, it may be pretty damn comparable.

Maybe the Bears evaluate these QB’s and decide that none of them are as good as what they have in Fields right now, which is fine. But if they evaluate any of these guys and see a potential of a higher ceiling, I think there’s no doubt they should pull the trigger.

I’m so interested in their offseason situation in particular, because it’s the kind of situation I used to love being in on Madden Franchise mode: a team with endless cap space, top pick in the draft, and the option of any QB they want. Basically an opportunity to build the team from the ground up.

Thoughts?

I'd draft the best non QB player available
Fields has a lot to improve on, but the whole team around him stinks

If their GM is reading this, I would advise him/her/it to take anyone except for OTs, WRs, fast LBs and tall gifted CBs.

If their GM is reading this, I would advise him/her/it to take anyone except for OTs, WRs, fast LBs and tall gifted CBs.
If their GM is reading this, I’d advise them to trade that pick to the Patriots for #14, Joe Judge, and Matt Patricia. There’s mountains of invaluable football knowledge to be gained from them, and it can help boost sales in Chicago’s polish sausage industry.

Keep Fields, he's going to be an elite football player. He desperately needs a much improved supporting cast. So they can trade down, but not lower than where Quentin Johnston (WR, TCU) can be taken as their first pick.

If their GM is reading this, I’d advise them to trade that pick to the Patriots for #14, Joe Judge, and Matt Patricia. There’s mountains of invaluable football knowledge to be gained from them, and it can help boost sales in Chicago’s polish sausage industry.
Joe Judge in particular is rumored to being able to connect exceptionally well with players, they love him....

I’m not familiar with the top QBs this year but IMO they need to draft one. Be it at #1 or later on, I am very skeptical about Fields as a franchise QB.

Idk their roster well but it seems like they could use a top WR.

The Bears are in a very enviable position. Trading down is the obvious thing. While as of today the "current wisdom" says, there are no "sure thing" QB prospects out there, believe me, by April there WILL be at least a couple. By trading down they can pick up valuable draft assets and STILL stay in the top 5 of the draft.

Now, while I am not a big Justin Fields guy (he DID lead them to a last place finish), it seems like the Bears think (hope) that his potential makes him their guy. SOME QB needy team will fall in love with Bryce Young or one of the other top QB prospects and the Bears will reap the benefits.

The Bears are in a very enviable position. Trading down is the obvious thing. While as of today the "current wisdom" says, there are no "sure thing" QB prospects out there, believe me, by April there WILL be at least a couple. By trading down they can pick up valuable draft assets and STILL stay in the top 5 of the draft.

Now, while I am not a big Justin Fields guy (he DID lead them to a last place finish), it seems like the Bears think (hope) that his potential makes him their guy. SOME QB needy team will fall in love with Bryce Young or one of the other top QB prospects and the Bears will reap the benefits.
Regardless, they definitely are in a good position this offseason.

Only thing I’ll say for sure is that they definitely should either pick a QB at that top pick, or trade it down. Too many holes on the roster to pass up getting more draft picks, and going with a defensive player with the top pick. (Again I would also assume Fields gets moved for decent package of picks if they did trade him)

I’m not familiar with the top QBs this year but IMO they need to draft one. Be it at #1 or later on, I am very skeptical about Fields as a franchise QB.

Idk their roster well but it seems like they could use a top WR.
Considering people are discussing the two top QBs being Alabama's Bryant Young, an undersized running QB like Fields, but probably not as good, and CJ Stroud, Fields' backup at Ohio St, who did not perform nearly as good as Fields, it's safe to say that Fields is better than both of these QBs that are going in the top 5. Trade down and get Will Anderson or Jalen Carter. That's what I would do.

I’ve been thinking about this situation for them this offseason because it’s pretty interesting.

They have a QB in Fields that did make big strides this year. He’s now up with Lamar in regards to being the most dynamic QB running the football in the league. But while his passing ability did improve, it still leaves plenty to be desired. Maybe some of that can be blamed on the lack of talent surrounding him as well? But regardless..

Now the Bears find themselves with the top pick in the draft. They will evaluate 3-4 QB’s who will have the potential of being a high 1st round pick. If your ultimate goal as a franchise is to have the best QB running the ship possible, it feels like it would be smart to pull the trigger here.

Reasons why:

-You could say QB’s in the draft are no sure thing, and that’s accurate. But while Fields has shown promise, is he a sure thing?

-Money is a factor. Fields is already two years into his deal and will be due a much larger sum of money in a couple years, whereas if you start over, you have another four years of a rookie QB on a cheap contract to build this team up.

-Fields also has done enough to warrant some strong compensation. And he is early enough in his deal for a team to get him for cheap for a couple years. You think a team like Washington wouldn’t give up at least a 1? I would have to imagine they would. So while the draft compensation may not be as strong for Fields as it would for trading down from number 1, it may be pretty damn comparable.

Maybe the Bears evaluate these QB’s and decide that none of them are as good as what they have in Fields right now, which is fine. But if they evaluate any of these guys and see a potential of a higher ceiling, I think there’s no doubt they should pull the trigger.

I’m so interested in their offseason situation in particular, because it’s the kind of situation I used to love being in on Madden Franchise mode: a team with endless cap space, top pick in the draft, and the option of any QB they want. Basically an opportunity to build the team from the ground up.

Thoughts?
Best non-QB. Fields may or may not be it, but Young seems like the only QB option that would get picked at #1 and I'm not convinced that he isn't destined to be a monumental bust, if for no other reason that I expect he'll get broken in half sometime in his first two seasons.

why reward bad teams? should have a lottery like nba
The only thing I don't like about the lottery is when big market teams are bad and they miss out on a can't miss prospect to a small market team because of where they land in the lottery. That's bad for the NBA.

They're obviously going to trade back and accumulate a draft haul.

It's the right move too.

The only thing I don't like about the lottery is when big market teams are bad and they miss out on a can't miss prospect to a small market team because of where they land in the lottery. That's bad for the NBA.
I read that in Roger Goodell-wearing-a-NY-Jets-jersey’s voice.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back