PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Two things that annoy me about MMQB's Peter King column today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodellstoogenerdness

Tony Romo leads NFL quarterback market this offseason | The MMQB with Peter King

I read this guy's column every Monday, and almost never fail to get irritated. Yet I keep going back. WTH is wrong with me? Anyway...

1. First, he sees Romo and the Texans as a good match. "Smart people need to get this done." Screw THAT.

2. Can this guy (and all other sportswriters, please) shut the friggin' piehole when it comes to politics? Makes me wanna...

beli.gif

Ah... I feel better now. :D Rant over.
I'm annoyed you read his ****. and I'm annoyed you started a thread about it. stop reading his garbage.

Problem with a structure like that is if JG is the real deal, the draft picks' value gets increasingly worse.

Let's just get a pile of 'em now. BB knows how to play that. And if nobody wants to give 'em up, we keep JG. Easy.
What would a "pile" of picks be to you?

Has anyone come up with this as a possibility as a trade package for Jimmy G?

3-2-1.

A 3rd round pick for 2017
A 2nd round pick for 2018
A 1st round pick for 2019

Think about it------ unless Brady gets hurt, he has 3 good years ahead.

Why not stack the team and then, if Brissett hasn't earned the full confidence of the Pats coaching staff and his next contract after the 2018 season, the Pats can go 1st round pick for QB in 2019.

The timing would be right.

My main issue with it is I think Jimmy G is a good QB, so in 3 years time, that 1st rounder will probably be in the second half of the draft. If we were trading him to say the 49ers for next year's 1st, that might still be a top 5 pick based on how terrible that franchise is.

But it's interesting to look down the line. I don't do it enough, but from reading a lot of different stuff, I know the team is scouting players for future drafts as well, and will already have a preliminary idea on 2019's draft in terms of QB talent.

The other thing that might be beneficial with this deal is if you find the right GM who is desperate to save their job now, lets them mortgage the far future, but not the immediate one so they could get a potential franchise QB, keep their first 2 picks, and try to build something to save their job (think Jaguars, where Khan has demanded a winner in the next 2 years). Though at that point, I'd want to exert more pressure, maybe bump up that 2nd to a 1st next year.

But interesting idea. Many teams devalue future picks by a round, while BB has shown he's willing to wait for it, so might end up being a steal if they find someone to do it.

If Peter King only writes two objectively stupid, obnoxious points in his article then that's an improvement over everything I've read from him. I stopped reading him with any regularity about a decade ago, though, so maybe he's clawed his way up to mediocrity.

King is very eloquent and articulated. You can disagree with his opinions, but some people could step down their high horses sometimes.

To be fair King sound pretentious when HE is on his high horse/

What would a "pile" of picks be to you?
Oh, I don't know. "Pile" was just a casual word to use there. I wouldn't trade him for less than a 1st though, and really, either a high 1st or a 1st +

I quit MMQB after one too many confirmations that King was the NFL home office's USEFUL IDIOT.
Besides, he sucked as Norm on Cheers......or was it his character in Deliverance with the mighty perty mouth....I forget.

Peter King = King of Peters. Coincidence? I think not.

There are two types of franchises searching for a QB. The win nows and the win laters. Houston and Denver are a QB away from making a serious run while Cleveland, San Fran and Chicago are building for the future. I'm not sure how Houston fits Romo onto their roster while paying a Brock load of cash to the Assweiler unless he plays for significantly less. Romo is too old for the win later teams. JG has shown promise to play well now and is young enough for the win later teams. Houston could fit him onto their roster and still pay Asswocky his cash. He is also young enough for the win later teams. A JG trade will fetch at least a mid to high first round pick imo. There will be plenty of interest.

Not sure what King is smoking unless it's his first name.

He's a meh writer, but out of the 4,000 words he writes, there are a couple ok points.

The political ****? Meh...everyone is injecting political **** into their commentaries. It'd be a sad state of living if I got worked up over political ********; actually proud to be on the sidelines of all that stupidity.

Hi, I am Peter King. In tomorrow's column of Monday Morning Quarterback, I will compile a whole bunch of very well-known events around the league that everyone already knows about, and I will also add several banal quotes from sources that confirm obvious things that people already know about. It's a must read.

Plus, given the demonstrated lies and abject stupidity of most sportswriters you'd have to be a total fool to take seriously anything they said about politics, especially given how mathematically and economically ignorant they are.

Tony Romo leads NFL quarterback market this offseason | The MMQB with Peter King

I read this guy's column every Monday, and almost never fail to get irritated. Yet I keep going back. WTH is wrong with me? Anyway...

1. First, he sees Romo and the Texans as a good match. "Smart people need to get this done." Screw THAT.

2. Can this guy (and all other sportswriters, please) shut the friggin' piehole when it comes to politics? Makes me wanna...

Ah... I feel better now. :D Rant over.

1. Romo would be a huge upgrade for Houston, so I don't really see the problem there. I grant that such an upgrade might not last past the first sack, but Romo's no worse than Gronk in that sense.
  2. These days, getting sports "reporters" to shut up about politics is a bigger challenge than getting a politician to shut up about politics.

Not sure why the first point would bug you, but agree about the politics thing.

I used to read him years ago...I think I just wasn't as aware of all the good stuff out there to read? So it was sort of a lingering, well, it's SI, that used to be something, and it's football...

Then I realized that I was getting absolutely nothing from reading it. Kind of a relief, really.

If you didn't read his 2 parter on Brady last week, you missed alot.

Problem with a structure like that is if JG is the real deal, the draft picks' value gets increasingly worse.

Let's just get a pile of 'em now. BB knows how to play that. And if nobody wants to give 'em up, we keep JG. Easy.

So, better to get only one 1st rounder right now, instead of a 3rd now, a 2nd in 2018 and a 1st in 2019?

I never got that reasoning. I understand the point system attached to each pick and in what year, and yes according to that system a 1st in 2017 is worth more than a 1st in 2019......but if that gets us a 3rd in 2017 and a 2nd in 2018 thrown in, that has to count for something. And the Pats don't really need another first this year with where they are. They will probably need the 2 firsts in 2019.

That whole "you need the pick THIS year" thing is for the desperate teams. The Pats are different and can sandbag for the future (and according to the geeks, this is a very deep draft).

Why not continue the Patriots history of zigging when the rest are zagging? Take advantage of those depserately trying to plug the leaks in their teams right now by padding the future with their panic?

Last edited:
So, better to get only one 1st rounder right now, instead of a 3rd now, a 2nd in 2018 and a 1st in 2019?

I never got that reasoning. I understand the point system attached to each pick and in what year, and yes according to that system a 1st in 2017 is worth more than a 1st in 2019......but if that gets us a 3rd in 2017 and a 2nd in 2018 thrown in, that has to count for something. And the Pats don't really need another first this year with where they are. They will probably need the 2 firsts in 2019.

That whole "you need the pick THIS year" thing is for the desperate teams. The Pats are different and can sandbag for the future (and according to the geeks, this is a very deep draft).

Why not continue the Patriots history of zigging when the rest are zagging? Take advantage of those depserately trying to plug the leaks in their teams right now by padding the future with their panic?

Well, I didn't say NEED relating to this year, I'm just saying if JG is a stud, each year draft picks for him would be later and later. Something to consider.

Well, I didn't say NEED relating to this year, I'm just saying if JG is a stud, each year draft picks for him would be later and later. Something to consider.

The Browns have the most draft pick point value and cap space going into this season. There is a real chance they get better. It is definitely something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back