PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tragedy in Colombia, soccer team dies in plane crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Woke up today with the devastating news about a plane crash that victimized 75 out of 81 passengers in a flight in Colombia with the entire crew of the Chapecoense soccer team from the city of Chapecó, state of Santa Catarina, Brazil. They were headed to play the first game of the finals of Sulamerican Cup, second biggest tournament in the continent after Libertadores Cup.

I live in Brazil and even though it's been years I don't follow soccer like I used to in my childhood, I was looking forward to these finals. Chapecoense is a small team from a small market, from a state that doesn't have soccer traditions, teams from this state are always fluctuating between Divisions C, B, and sometimes playing the National League with the top 20 teams of the country, just to end in the bottom 4 and drop to lower divisions again.

This Chapecoense team though was doing a nice job in recent years, well coached and well organized team with good management, making their way to the top and they were playing their first final in an international tournament and the whole country was cheering for them as usually happens when a small underdog club gets the opportunity to play in the big stages.

2009 - Division D
2012 - Division C
2013 - Division B
2014 - Division A (Main League)
2016 - Sulamerican Cup Finals

Their head coach had gigs as a HC from some of the top teams in the country but always got fired after underachieving but he was doing a fine job showing that sometimes it just doesn't work out, it doesn't mean the coach is incompetent. The same is true for veteran players that found their place there. The second game of the finals was not even going to be in their stadium as it doesn't meet the minimum requirements and available places for an event like this, they would probably play in another state.

That was really shocking news, I couldn't get out of in front of the TV this morning and go to work, the last time that happened was in the 09/11 attacks. Shocking, sad, terrible news. Many reporters from Fox Sports and Globo TV were also in the fight, including a former player and coach, Mario Sergio, who was in the Brazilian National Team for the 1982 World Cup, he was working for Fox Sports as booth commentator.

This tragedy has the same magnitude of the Marshall plane crash, with even some coincidences, both teams used green colors and in both accidents there were 75 fatal victims. No one survived the Marshall crash, this time 3 players, a journalist and a flight attendant survived.

Found this video and decided to make this post as a small tribute.

15232083_1199229116821357_7915271477897882737_n.jpg

I saw this late last night...terrible. RIP

So awful. Thoughts and prayers to the victims & survivors, their families & friends & their fans.

awful and i feel horrible for their families...i know this sounds bad but when i heard this all i thought of was George Costanza

I'm going to hell

The world of soccer is mourning:(

Prayers and condolences to all affected.

So sad, horrible tragedy. Rip and prayers and thoughts go out to the families.

Horrible tragedy as a fan of soccer and sports in general:( seeing those pictures of them on the plane not knowing it would be their last day on earth.:( 3 players survived. Idk how those guys will go on. Gonna need alot of therapy. Prayers out to those families.

Thoughts and Prayers out to their families...... Reminded me of the plane crash in the Andes where some of the soccer team survived miraculously for weeks before being rescued......

RIP

The guy doing the play by play from 3:23 on (video on the first post) also died on the accident, Deva Pascovicci from Fox Sports.

So very tragic- heartbreaking. RIP.

awful and i feel horrible for their families...i know this sounds bad but when i heard this all i thought of was George Costanza

I'm going to hell

Yeah same...too sad to laugh about that joke though. Thoughts to their families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes