PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: This has got to be killing Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is an intangible thing called fight within. Moss did not show any fight when the going got tough, he is a front runner. When it gets nasty, he packs it.
I thought the Pats are 10-2 no?

That's my fault, my original quote had 9-2.

I guess the Jets game still seems like a dream to me. :D

I wonder when Teenuh shows up on the Dr. Phil show. :confused3:

Oh well, its not like he didn't have his chance. He wanted out of NE and thought he would find greener pastures elsewhere.

Not that I want to get into the whole Moss situation again....but....It's the Patriots that wanted Moss out of New England. Randy Moss would have LOVED to have retired a Patriot.

Moss was told before the season started that he was not in the future plans of the team. Moss then realized he was slowly being fazed out of the offensive game-plan. This is where Moss made his mistake. He panicked, (most likely due to the potential lockout) and thought he would be able to eventually make more money if he was with a team that featured him in the offense for the remainder of this season.

Obviously a huge mistake. But lets be clear...It was the Patriots (BB) that didn't want Moss and not the other way around. And as usual Belichick was right again.

But if he only cares about money, then his play this year has made his stock plummet. And really, if BB and Jeff Fisher, two of the most respected coaches in the league can't get you to play for them, then really, who is going to take him? Someone will, I mean T.O still has a job (I know he's productive, but brings a whole bunch of issues) my guess is it'll be the Rams, but god knows really.

Lol i was watching that game thinking the same thing. They have to create plays for him and they havent, most of the catches were going to K. Britt now that he's returned. I know Moss is upset inside and wishes he could be back here.

Lol i was watching that game thinking the same thing. They have to create plays for him and they havent, most of the catches were going to K. .

Why do they have to? It isn't the Randy Moss show, it is the Tenn Titans. You play to win the game, not keep an egotistical WR that won't be part of your team next year happy.

Plus if you are gonna worry about keeping a WR happy by making sure he gets enough throws it ought be the one that will be part of the team next year. If I was the Titans, I would be more worried about keeping KB happy than RM.

Why do they have to? It isn't the Randy Moss show, it is the Tenn Titans. You play to win the game, not keep an egotistical WR that won't be part of your team next year happy.

Plus if you are gonna worry about keeping a WR happy by making sure he gets enough throws it ought be the one that will be part of the team next year. If I was the Titans, I would be more worried about keeping KB happy than RM.

Yes but then why even take him off waivers? Is Moss a good blocker to you?

Moss excels at going long and making plays. He was blocking all night long and thats when he was in the game. You HAVE to create plays for him to use him properly. thats all I'm saying. It was a waste of time. But i agree with the Kenny Britt deal. I would keep him happy over Moss.

Last edited:
Why put in a waiver claim for the guy and PAY the guy if you're going to give up on him within a couple weeks and not even use him? Maybe Fisher is trying to get fired, the team overall looks pee wee level with their game management. Stupid penalties and mistakes all around, no fire.

I think we all can agree Moss has lost a considerable step, but he's not THIS bad. I think he can be a #2, even with weak *** Minnesota he was making plays and had a few TDs. When we played him we had to respect his ability to stretch the field and it opened things up for Harvin all day and one big play for Gerhart. The Titans are one of the worst possible places he could've ended up. No doubt he brought this on himself though. Even in Minnesota when he did that PC after our game it sounded like he was throwing Childress (wish we'd have gotten that 3 at the end of the half) and his teammates (disappointed they only acknowledged his work/tips on Sunday) under the bus. Guy was begging to end up on a team like this.

Why put in a waiver claim for the guy and PAY the guy if you're going to give up on him within a couple weeks and not even use him? Maybe Fisher is trying to get fired, the team overall looks pee wee level with their game management. Stupid penalties and mistakes all around, no fire.

I think we all can agree Moss has lost a considerable step, but he's not THIS bad. I think he can be a #2, even with weak *** Minnesota he was making plays and had a few TDs. When we played him we had to respect his ability to stretch the field and it opened things up for Harvin all day and one big play for Gerhart. The Titans are one of the worst possible places he could've ended up. No doubt he brought this on himself though. Even in Minnesota when he did that PC after our game it sounded like he was throwing Childress (wish we'd have gotten that 3 at the end of the half) and his teammates (disappointed they only acknowledged his work/tips on Sunday) under the bus. Guy was begging to end up on a team like this.

Exactly what I was saying. I dont understand why they even claimed him if they weren't going to use him to his strengths. Maybe Fisher is trying to get fired.
Moss is a horrible blocker and thats what he has him doing all game. :bricks:

Yes but then why even take him off waivers? .

As a gap stop solution while Kenny B was out with an injury.

That's like asking why did the Patriots resign Matt Gutierrez when Brady went down if you weren't gonna play him and then just cut him at the end of the season? Or asking why Edelman gets to play lot when Wes Welker is hurt but not much when Welker is healthy?

That's all Randy is. He ain't the WR he wasn't was. Now he is just a backup WR when Kenny needs a rest or the Titans go to a multiple WR set.

Last edited:
I am guessing that on Monday night, Randy was probably pretty home sick as well.

Oh well, its not like he didn't have his chance. He wanted out of NE and thought he would find greener pastures elsewhere.

Belachick seems to have had some sort of epiphany over the off season about what the Pats had to do to get their Mojo working again. He started with getting rid of the Dynasty Days photos around the lockerroom and clubhouse. Then I'm thinking that he must have decided early in the season or maybe during Training Camp that playing from the spread formation with Brady in the shotgun and looking either for Randy deep or Wes across the middle virtually every play was only going to get them so far. He also fully understood that a Randy Moss who wasn't the "first read" on every play was going to become a media and locker-room problem (as was already the case).

That's a long way of saying that yes, I agree "He wanted out of NE...," but I think it wasn't just a Diva's Hissy Fit. I think he read the situation correctly and decided his role was being downgraded. He then probably had the mistaken idea that Brett had another "Brett" season left in his 41 year old body.

I actually feel a little badly for him. He struck me as stuck on himself and a bit immature, but he seemed very likable and, in his own way, quite genuine. The big shame for the Pats is that his ego was incompatible with playing a "Branch" role wherein he was at times the first target, but more often a decoy stretching the defense. But it's not in his makeup for him to accept that role and there would have been an outburst a week and eventually sideline histrionics, thrown helmets and visible sulking.

I have not changed my view that the Pats would be better off with him, but I now accept that there was no choice but to get rid of him. There was no alternative.

Last edited:

Exactly right. It's a team game, as much or more than any other game, and that's exactly why Randy Moss is no longer a NE Patriot.

As a gap stop solution while Kenny B was out with an injury.

That's like asking why did the Patriots resign Matt Gutierrez when Brady went down if you weren't gonna play him and then just cut him at the end of the season? Or asking why Edelman get to play lot when Wes Welker is hurt but not much when Welker is healthy?

That's all Randy is. He ain't the WR he wasn't was. Now he is just a backup WR when Kenny needs a rest or the Titans go to a multiple WR set.

I know but i still didnt see a reason to take him off waivers. Cause Britt was going to be out for 3-4 weeks? Pay the rest of his salary for 3-4 weeks? Really?

For all that, create a few plays to get the ball to him. Well, I guess you have to have a QB to throw the ball though huh? Lol... Kerry didn't look too bad! hahaha

Watching tonights game Indy/Titans

Titans ball:

1st down: Run. Randy blocks.
2nd down: Run. Randy blocks.
3rd and 4: Randy taken out to watch from sidelines. 20 yard perfect pass dropped by no-name receiver.

/facepalm

If you have Moss why would you not use him in passing situations? lol.
Why should it be killing Randy? Randy is too busy killing teams he plays on this year with the lack of effort and focus.

Last edited:
I know but i still didnt see a reason to take him off waivers. Cause Britt was going to be out for 3-4 weeks? Pay the rest of his salary for 3-4 weeks? Really?

Titans were 5-3 and had a shot at the AFCS. Fisher probably figued he would lose the next 4 if he didn't bring in a WR to replace Britt in the interm, but could win the 3 or 4 of the next 4 if he had a deep threat. A three game swing and a playoff bid is worth Randy's salary in an uncapped year.

Turns out that was a mistake and having Randy didn't prevent losing the next 4. But a reasonable decision by JF at the time to sing Randy even if he was planning to play him for 4 games and send him back to the waiver wire afterwards. He did say at the time they would have not put in a waiver claim for Randy if Britt was healthy.

I don't think I have seen one player commit career suicide worse than Randy Moss did this season. He could have locked up a long term deal with the Pats this preseason (well at least 2-3 years), but now he is going to struggle to find a team to play for the veteran minimum next year. After everything that has happened this year, few teams are going to take a risk on a WR who is a head case and seems to have hit the age wall at crash test dummy speed. The guy has gone from a stud WR that teams had to gameplan around to a flash decoy that stretched the field to irrelevant to the offense.

Titans were 5-3 and had a shot at the AFCS. Fisher probably figued he would lose the next 4 if he didn't bring in a WR to replace Britt in the interm, but could win the 3 or 4 of the next 4 if he had a deep threat. A three game swing and a playoff bid is worth Randy's salary in an uncapped year.

Turns out that was a mistake and having Randy didn't prevent losing the next 4. But a reasonable decision by JF at the time to sing Randy even if he was planning to play him for 4 games and send him back to the waiver wire afterwards. He did say at the time they would have not put in a waiver claim for Randy if Britt was healthy.

Personally, I thought it was a stupid move on Fisher's fault from the beginning. It was pure desperation. I can see why the Vikes traded for him, but after seeing the negative impact this season he had on both the Pats and the Vikes he should have known he was playing with fire. With a QB that has attitude issues even before his blow up with Fisher, Fisher should have known not to screw with team chemistry. Granted he did seem to keep Haynesworth under control most of the time and we have found out what a diva he is.

I'm not going to argue that Moss quit on plays, because he most certainly did. But didn't he catch a big time TD in the Super Bowl? What about against the Giants that very same season in the finale? The going was pretty tough then.

Jeff Fisher asked why Moss had such a reduced role said, Kenny really fought back to be out there so he had to reward him.
Not a dig at Moss from Fisher directly, but you can read between the lines.

Plus Moss's stance on not speaking to the media is not helping his case. He blew reports off after the game in the locker room.

Personally, I thought it was a stupid move on Fisher's fault from the beginning. It was pure desperation. I can see why the Vikes traded for him, but after seeing the negative impact this season he had on both the Pats and the Vikes he should have known he was playing with fire. With a QB that has attitude issues even before his blow up with Fisher, Fisher should have known not to screw with team chemistry. Granted he did seem to keep Haynesworth under control most of the time and we have found out what a diva he is.

Desperation - yes.
stupid at the time - no.

The Titans needed a WR. He was the best available one. Randy or some UDFA floating around on some teams practice squad? Sign the head case and see if you can make it work.

The more I read all this the more I think they simply didn't want Indy to get him. They probably never intended to play him unless he was perfectly behaved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes