PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Seahawks great Chad Brown calls trading Russell Wilson a 'genius' move

Brilliant Trade by Seattle !

Denver is going to regret this trade for years

I think it'd be interesting to see how many QBs actually succeeded after their first team gave up on them. I'm betting it's not a huge number.

Tannehill put a real career together after the Dolphins dropped him. Romo and Warner took years to be what they were. But, yea, i'm having a hard time coming up with many.

Brilliant Trade by Seattle !

Denver is going to regret this trade for years

Not just the trade. They gave him $240 million and $160 million guaranteed. They could have weathered the loss of draft picks. They already got a first rounder back for Chubb. But now they have a mediocre getting paid as one of the most elite QBs in the league. It is tough to overcome a loss of those draft picks AND having a QB making $40 million a year and playing like a $5 million a year QB.

His cap hit in 2023 goes up to $35 million and $55 million in 2024. According to Sportrac, they really cannot cut him until 2026 and they will still take a $31 million dead cap hit.

If you cannot build through the draft, you can offset that by building in free agency. The problem is the Broncos won't have the flexibility to make a lot of big free agent moves because of Wilson. Chubb probably was traded because they cannot afford to give him a new contract.

Richard Sherman and Marshawn Lynch talked about recently that Carroll would handcuff Wilson for a reason and that was because he couldn't put the team on his back.

Not just the trade. They gave him $240 million and $160 million guaranteed. They could have weathered the loss of draft picks. They already got a first rounder back for Chubb. But now they have a mediocre getting paid as one of the most elite QBs in the league. It is tough to overcome a loss of those draft picks AND having a QB making $40 million a year and playing like a $5 million a year QB.

His cap hit in 2023 goes up to $35 million and $55 million in 2024. According to Sportrac, they really cannot cut him until 2026 and they will still take a $31 million dead cap hit.

If you cannot build through the draft, you can offset that by building in free agency. The problem is the Broncos won't have the flexibility to make a lot of big free agent moves because of Wilson. Chubb probably was traded because they cannot afford to give him a new contract.
In addition he has a personality that is not appreciated by the other members of the team. It was addition by subraction plus a boat load of draft picks for Seattle.

Tannehill put a real career together after the Dolphins dropped him. Romo and Warner took years to be what they were. But, yea, i'm having a hard time coming up with many.
While he never blossomed into a great, or even very good quarterback, Jim Plunkett had some good years with the Raiders and did manage to win two Super Bowls, being chosen the MVP in Super Bowl XV.

I think it'd be interesting to see how many QBs actually succeeded after their first team gave up on them. I'm betting it's not a huge number.

Rich Gannon
Steve Young
Ryan Fitzpatrick (success was limited)
Drew Brees
Matt Hasselbeck (although Green Bay traded him because they had Favre, but he had some good years in Seattle)
Trent Dilfer (although he was more successful with the Ravens, I don't know if he was actually better)

Rich Gannon
Steve Young
Ryan Fitzpatrick (success was limited)
Drew Brees
Matt Hasselbeck (although Green Bay traded him because they had Favre, but he had some good years in Seattle)
Trent Dilfer (although he was more successful with the Ravens, I don't know if he was actually better)
Kirk Cousins?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back