PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Russell Wilson signs contract extension for All The Money

The parade route is being planned this week. Donks fans are ecstatic. They are ready to win a title this season.

The parade route is being planned this week. Donks fans are ecstatic. They are ready to win a title this season.
Meanwhile, in Denver:

$25MM is pocket change when you just got handed a $245MM contract.

C'mon, Denver, don't you got any better houses to sell?
Someone will.
Indeed. Look at what Watson ended up getting after he got three teams bidding for his services.

Agree. He'll get paid but his market I think is less than the tier 1 QBs.
It's hard for me to figure out tiers given what Kyler Murray just got paid.

Lamar certainly can claim him as a comp, another short but mobile QB.

1662125101079.png

Ravens are set up to win this season too. They couldn't stay healthy last year. This year should be a different story. It will be interesting to see how well Lamar plays.

I asked a friend of mine from ME that used to live in MD if he wears a Lamar Jersey.
He said No, he hates Lamar. Now he never texts me. :maybenot:

I'm sure Mac isn't even thinking about his next extension right now as he needs to focus on getting better this season.
Mac needs to focus on completing long passes. Next, beating the Bills fair and square.
Baltimore will cave and pay Lamar as they will be irrelevant without him. He will get a good deal.
The Ravens will pay out all that money and then let Lamar self destruct as Mike Vick.

Joe Burrow is going to completely reset the market next year and I don’t think Patriots fans are quite ready for what that’ll look like.
Ready how?

Unless the cap keeps up, and with the trend of WR deals also, these mega-contracts taking large chunks of the cap may individually enrich and that's great for the player, but the odds of being able to field a competitive team around them decreases. It forces the draft into the only way to build a competitive team instead of having both the draft and free agency. It also magnifies the role injuries play in each season's success.

Being individually great is really quite extraordinary, but if you get stuck running for your life because the OL sucks, or have a defense that can't close the games you've got them the lead for - what's your legacy?

If you mean "ready" as in "another opportunity to bash the Patriots and the way they do things from ownership to coaching" - I don't think you have to worry about readiness - there are loyal soldiers carrying that battle standard every day.

Last edited:
Mac needs to focus on completing long passes. Next, beating the Bills fair and square.

The Ravens will pay out all that money and then let Lamar self destruct as Mike Vick.
What does Lamar have to do with Vick’s dog fighting?

Someone will. Watson and Wilson havent even gotten mvp votes, let alone the actual mvp.
Indeed. Rich people aren't known for their restraint. Rob Walton sees all the buzz around his brother-in-law Stan Kroenke spilling $billions in LA, he wants a part of the action, buys himself a team, Wilson gets PAID. Jimmy Haslam is getting tired of not winning, he doesn't care that Massage Man is a perv if not an outright sexual predator, he gets PAID. All the people around them, the GMs and the agents, are screaming DO IT. Heck, CLE already had Baker Mayfield, who isn't exactly chopped liver, yet they PAID the Massage Man, AND they paid CAR to take Mayfield too.

There are like, what, around 12 legitimate proven NFL franchise QBs, ones you'd give a top-of-the-market deal to tomorrow. So, that means there are around 20 franchises who would at least be interested in Lamar. Just like Massage Man, if you can get two or three bidding against each other, all kinds of crazy things could happen.

Most of the QB rankings I see have Lamar around 8th. We could even see a situation like CLE where a team has a young QB being developed but the owner is impatient and thinks Jackson can push them over the top. Not hard to find a few candidates for that. PHL with Hurts, MIA with Tua, CHI with Fields, NYG with DJ, NYJ with the MILF Hunter. We already know ATL and NO were in on the Massage Man. We know CAR and SEA pretty much have no one for next year. PIT may or may not be in that category.

I could so see someone coming out of nowhere and deciding they have to have Jackson, and it's game on. Suppose SEA gets sold to a rich dude who wants to make a splash?

It's a no-brainer to me. Jackson will make a literal fortune if he can stay healthy and hit free agency.

Meanwhile, in Denver:

$25MM is pocket change when you just got handed a $245MM contract.

C'mon, Denver, don't you got any better houses to sell?

Indeed. Look at what Watson ended up getting after he got three teams bidding for his services.

It's hard for me to figure out tiers given what Kyler Murray just got paid.

Lamar certainly can claim him as a comp, another short but mobile QB.

View attachment 44935

I think Murray is better than LJ but to your point he very well might be in that bottom 1/2 which is more that I was thinking

Ready how?

Unless the cap keeps up, and with the trend of WR deals also, these mega-contracts taking large chunks of the cap may individually enrich and that's great for the player, but the odds of being able to field a competitive team around them decreases. It forces the draft into the only way to build a competitive team instead of having both the draft and free agency. It also magnifies the role injuries play in each season's success.

Being individually great is really quite extraordinary, but if you get stuck running for your life because the OL sucks, or have a defense that can't close the games you've got them the lead for - what's your legacy?

If you mean "ready" as in "another opportunity to bash the Patriots and the way they do things from ownership to coaching" - I don't think you have to worry about readiness - there are loyal soldiers carrying that battle standard every day.
Sounds like the reasons Russell was eager to move away from Seattle

These QB salaries are ruining the league. Just 2 or 3 years ago the top guys made half of what they're now getting. Every dollar of increased cap space is going to the QB's.

These QB salaries are ruining the league. Just 2 or 3 years ago the top guys made half of what they're now getting. Every dollar of increased cap space is going to the QB's.

Isn’t this an issue the player’s association needs to address with the players?

It mirrors the rest of the world: the rich get richer, the middle class shrinks, new market entrants (rookies) are expected to perform way above what they get paid.

I have a hard time seeing a rule change that would limit QB pay.

It would have to be collectively bargained, and I doubt the union would go for anything that limits pay by position.

I would point out that OL have gotten huge bumps in pay relative to what they used to get.

Top WRs were always well paid, they continue to be so.

RBs are now very lucky to get a second contract with the team that drafted them, only the best do.

It mirrors the rest of the world: the rich get richer, the middle class shrinks, new market entrants (rookies) are expected to perform way above what they get paid.

I have a hard time seeing a rule change that would limit QB pay.

It would have to be collectively bargained, and I doubt the union would go for anything that limits pay by position.

I would point out that OL have gotten huge bumps in pay relative to what they used to get.

Top WRs were always well paid, they continue to be so.

RBs are now very lucky to get a second contract with the team that drafted them, only the best do.
I'm sorry I never was a Russell Wilson guy.

I trust Russell Johnson more.
Over It Ugh GIF

Yea.

1) Hes not an elite passer
2) Hes small and his playing style is no conducive to longevity
The players (qbs) still have the leverage. Its either pay Lamar, who, wins when he is on the field or go back into the pool and pray they find another quarterback who is elite...which is very hard

The players (qbs) still have the leverage. Its either pay Lamar, who, wins when he is on the field or go back into the pool and pray they find another quarterback who is elite...which is very hard
Not if your QB is average. Replacing average is not hard.

LJ is not what he was.

Not if your QB is average. Replacing average is not hard.

LJ is not what he was.
I mean he definitely a down year…but if you think he’s average then we will have to agree to disagree It’s be hard replicating their success without him. If he truly was average, then they’d have an easier time. I’m with you, I don’t think he’s a top tier qb, but it’s not a coincidence that they win when he’s there and don’t when he’s not

Theyre 37-12 w/ him and 6-9 without him. Thats a huge contrast

Last edited:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes