PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Russell Wilson signs contract extension for All The Money

These QB salaries are ruining the league. Just 2 or 3 years ago the top guys made half of what they're now getting. Every dollar of increased cap space is going to the QB's.
you act as if all the teams are doing this. They are not. Most teams use the monies for other positions.

I mean he definitely a down year…but if you think he’s average then we will have to agree to disagree It’s be hard replicating their success without him. If he truly was average, then they’d have an easier time. I’m with you, I don’t think he’s a top tier qb, but it’s not a coincidence that they win when he’s there and don’t when he’s not

Theyre 37-12 w/ him and 6-9 without him. Thats a huge contrast
Agree. When LJ is doing his thing he's worth big money.

Pertaining to his contract I think BAL is playing this right. They need to see him become an elite passer and see if 2021 he plateaued or if it was a blip.

Will the 2019 Jaskson show up

Agree. When LJ is doing his thing he's worth big money.

Pertaining to his contract I think BAL is playing this right. They need to see him become an elite passer and see if 2021 he plateaued or if it was a blip.

Will the 2019 Jaskson show up
I don’t think he’s ever going to be an elite passer. He wasn’t in 2019 imo, he’s just so dynamic running the ball that it opens up a lot of easy throws for them. But if BAL doesn’t pay him, there’s a good chance that they’re just mediocre for a decade plus. Or they could hit immediately and get an elite qb in the draft. It’s a huge gamble

I don’t think he’s ever going to be an elite passer. He wasn’t in 2019 imo, he’s just so dynamic running the ball that it opens up a lot of easy throws for them. But if BAL doesn’t pay him, there’s a good chance that they’re just mediocre for a decade plus. Or they could hit immediately and get an elite qb in the draft. It’s a huge gamble
That's pretty much my point. Very good/elite passers get the big deals.

Those who are not don't.

Meanwhile, in Denver:

$25MM is pocket change when you just got handed a $245MM contract.

C'mon, Denver, don't you got any better houses to sell?

Indeed. Look at what Watson ended up getting after he got three teams bidding for his services.

It's hard for me to figure out tiers given what Kyler Murray just got paid.

Lamar certainly can claim him as a comp, another short but mobile QB.

View attachment 44935

I can’t believe Murray makes that much money lol

Cousins has quietly made himself a **** ton of money for a mediocre career. Gotta tip your hat to him

That's pretty much my point. Very good/elite passers get the big deals.

Those who are not don't.
That’s where I disagree, depending on what we consider big at this point. He may not be top of the market, but I believe he’s going to be one of the higher paid qbs in the league. We will have to wait and see. It’d take some guys on Baltimores part to tell him to test the market. Would be interesting

That’s where I disagree, depending on what we consider big at this point. He may not be top of the market, but I believe he’s going to be one of the higher paid qbs in the league. We will have to wait and see. It’d take some guys on Baltimores part to tell him to test the market. Would be interesting
Yea let me qualify. I see a big deal Watson/Wilson money.

Could LJ get something in the way of $50m in guarantees? I can see that I guess.

I can’t believe Murray makes that much money lol
Me either, but he's the next man up. ARI was in a bad spot. They had swung and missed on Rosen, drafted Murray who at least was decent, and they got to that "sh!t or get off the pot" moment with him. They remind me of BAL and Flacco, but at least Flacco won that SB for him so had lots of leverage. We know ARI is less than convinced about Murray because they put in those "homework" clauses into his contract, yet at the end of the day they gave him over $100M in guaranteed money.

Cousins has quietly made himself a **** ton of money for a mediocre career. Gotta tip your hat to him
Absolutely. I was debating where to cut off that list I posted, but (a) I ended up with the top ten and (b) including Cousins shows the power of making it to free agency. Decent talent for a starting QB, but huge earnings.

Jackson is franchised this season for $23M, next year it goes to $45M or more depending on the cap. Projections I'm seeing show the cap growing $18M-$20M per year for the next several years as the revenues from the various new media deals kick in. Even if Jackson has to play this season and next on the tag, he could be looking at a bidding war that pushes his salary beyond $60M.

Wilson won 2020 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award because of this charity. People criticize him for being fake. Maybe, he is.

So I started reading this expecting it to be a blown out of proportion hit piece because too many people don’t get that basically every large scale charity group does legitimately need to spend money on non sexy administrative and outreach and other stuff to keep the thing functioning at all. The adage of it costs money to make money applies to charity almost as much as business. But then I continue to read and it gets gradually worse and yeah this is incredibly shady.

Woah, powerful necromancy.
season 3 starz GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

Tell the USA Today folks to do an investigation into Cincinnati's nonprofit structure. In a city that has hamstrung itself so much in its ability to deliver any sort of social/health service, we just roll half of our leveraged support funding to United Way, who then... Dolls out the money to nonprofits, which have gobbled up Cincinnati, ostensibly to deliver services the city can't. You know, through stupid ****ing programs like putting murals up in areas that are also planned to have a bunch of high-end, private development. I love art as much as the next person, but I can't remember the last time a mural ensured someone had food or housing who needed it.

If you think charities are bad, take a look at politicians...

So I started reading this expecting it to be a blown out of proportion hit piece because too many people don’t get that basically every large scale charity group does legitimately need to spend money on non sexy administrative and outreach and other stuff to keep the thing functioning at all. The adage of it costs money to make money applies to charity almost as much as business. But then I continue to read and it gets gradually worse and yeah this is incredibly shady.
Years ago, I played golf in a "charity" tournament and the Honey Badger's new agent was in our group. He mentioned the best thing an agent can do for a new player is set up a "foundation" in the player's name for the sole purpose of funding the player's posse/family as paid board members so the player isn't cutting checks out of his own bank account. The entire purpose of these foundations is to have others fund their hangers-on, hence the wretched actual charitable distributions.
Brady's sisters concur

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back