Free
Agency
Shaquille LeonardColts27$98,500,000$19,700,000$52,500,000$33,000,0002027 UFA
Fred Warner49ers26$95,225,000$19,045,000$40,500,000$27,500,0002027 UFA
C.J. MosleyJets30$85,000,000$17,000,000$51,000,000$43,000,0002025 UFA
Foyesade OluokunJaguars27$45,000,000$15,000,000$28,000,000$28,000,0002025 UFA
Deion JonesFalcons28$57,000,000$14,250,000$34,000,000$18,800,0002024 UFA
Source: Linebacker Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

So this is the top 5 LBs by Avg./Year. We know Roquan Smith want to be the best paid LBer (reportedly, the Bears wouldn't offer him that right now, only in the latter years), It's safe to assume he's looking for 20-23M per year, for 5 years (Maybe) not including this one.

With the Cap to increase by about 10% for the next few years, IIRC, (So ~220 in 2023, 240 in 2024 etc), his future salary would actually come closer to being about 8% of it all for its duration (this was head calc, so dont kill me if Im wrong).

So, we could get a possible future HoF'er for long term at LB, a position that we have been struggling for as long as Mac has been on this league AND MORE! (sounds more intense like this than "3 years"), the guy we know can go coast to coast, prevent those damn crosses AND outside runs, on a position with of a lot unknown quality AND ceiling within our system (I mean what do you really expect out of the guys we have? From 0 to 10, realistically, if we get a 7 out of them this season, ill be satisfied i think, and that is a good scenario).

Im actually surprised that there isnt more excitment for his talent alone. I get the cost-prohibitive thinking, although I probably disagree with it already (1st round pick for him? Sign me up!) and, to me, 8% it's definitely worth it for his level of talent.Also having our middle being Barmore and Smith makes it's very, very tough for anyone and possibly, for a long time, it's something of a once in a life time chance

Last edited:
PlayerTeamAgeTotal
Value
Avg./Year ▾Total
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency
Shaquille LeonardColts27$98,500,000$19,700,000$52,500,000$33,000,0002027 UFA
Fred Warner49ers26$95,225,000$19,045,000$40,500,000$27,500,0002027 UFA
C.J. MosleyJets30$85,000,000$17,000,000$51,000,000$43,000,0002025 UFA
Foyesade OluokunJaguars27$45,000,000$15,000,000$28,000,000$28,000,0002025 UFA
Deion JonesFalcons28$57,000,000$14,250,000$34,000,000$18,800,0002024 UFA

So this is the top 5 LBs by Avg./Year. We know Roquan Smith want to be the best paid LBer (reportedly, the Bears wouldn't offer him that right now, only in the latter years), It's safe to assume he's looking for 20-23M per year, for 5 years (Maybe) not including this one.

With the Cap to increase by about 10% for the next few years, IIRC, (So ~220 in 2023, 240 in 2024 etc), his future salary would actually come closer to being about 8% of it all for its duration (this was head calc, so dont kill me if Im wrong).

So, we could get a possible future HoF'er for long term at LB, a position that we have been struggling for as long as Mac has been on this league AND MORE! (sounds more intense like this than "3 years"), the guy we know can go coast to coast, prevent those damn crosses AND outside runs, on a position with of a lot unknown quality AND ceiling within our system (I mean what do you really expect out of the guys we have? From 0 to 10, realistically, if we get a 7 out of them this season, ill be satisfied i think, and that is a good scenario).

Im actually surprised that there isnt more excitment for his talent alone. I get the cost-prohibitive thinking, although I probably disagree with it already (1st round pick for him? Sign me up already!) and, to me, 8% it's definitely worth it for his level of talent.Also having our middle being Barmore and Smith makes it's very, very though for anyone and possibly, for a long time, it's something of a once in a life time chance
Preach brother preach.:cool:

Why the name change for Darious Leonard?

I've never heard of Foyesade Oluokun. Looking at his stats from last year looks like All Pro numbers.

I'd drive the bus to logan and fly the plane to Chicago with Agholor sitting in coach no brainer.
I’d be so happy I’d even upgrade Agholor to first class. Or maybe at least business class. And spring for Uber for both of them in Chicago.

Why the name change for Darious Leonard?

I've never heard of Foyesade Oluokun. Looking at his stats from last year looks like All Pro numbers.
He told awhile ago that he wanted to go by Shaquille, but Ill probably throw the source out there

He told awhile ago that he wanted to go by Shaquille, but Ill probably throw the source out there
I see that's his middle name. When I first saw it, I thought it was a mistake by overthecap. Lol.

Slowjuan, Bentley, agular and the bears 2023 draft pick they traded to us for smith.

Sign smith long term and spread out the cap hit a bit.

With the addition of Wilson and Peppers (basically a LB), I don’t see how he fits on the team…I think we are set at LB
I feel like this is backwards logic. Two castoffs, one of which is barely a LB is blocking space for an actual all pro linebacker? They wont do it because hes expensive...I dont think itd be because Peppers and Mack Wilson are too good in front of him

Why is he requesting a trade? Answer; he wants to get paid.

This is the modern NFL equivalent of contract negotiations, the next thing he'll do in unfollow the Bears on social media.... oooooh, chilling.

What will the Bear's want in return? Undoubtedly a massive draft haul...

Casual fans see this and say "why not make this trade?" Smart fans see this and realize, when you trade a massive pot of gold for a player, then you pay him a massive contract... you're paying twice... and that's stupid.

If he makes it to free agency and you want to pay him a massive deal then do so, but don't trade the house for the privilege to do it. Don't pay twice.

A massive draft haul? Meh, as good as Roquan Smith, is, he's still a linebacker. And as you've just stated, he wants to get paid. So I don't see the Bears getting more than a 1st or 2nd round pick plus a later pick in return.

As this relates to the Patriots, the more relevant questions are 1) how do they feel about their linebacker corps and if they are interested 2) would they be able to fit Roquan Smith under the cap considering he wants to get paid as a top linebacker.

Would I feel more confident about the Patriots defense with a stud linebacker like Roquan Smith? Of course. But it really depends on how BB feels about his defensive personnel.

Does he feel like he has enough back there with the likes of Raekwon McMillan, Mack Wilson, and Jawhuan Bentley? None of these guys are household names, but maybe BB feels the linebackers he has now are good enough considering that he seems to feel good about his DL with Godchaux and Barmore up front.

A massive draft haul? Meh, as good as Roquan Smith, is, he's still a linebacker. And as you've just stated, he wants to get paid. So I don't see the Bears getting more than a 1st or 2nd round pick plus a later pick in return.

As this relates to the Patriots, the more relevant questions are 1) how do they feel about their linebacker corps and if they are interested 2) would they be able to fit Roquan Smith under the cap considering he wants to get paid as a top linebacker.

Would I feel more confident about the Patriots defense with a stud linebacker like Roquan Smith? Of course. But it really depends on how BB feels about his defensive personnel.

Does he feel like he has enough back there with the likes of Raekwon McMillan, Mack Wilson, and Jawhuan Bentley? None of these guys are household names, but maybe BB feels the linebackers he has now are good enough considering that he seems to feel good about his DL with Godchaux and Barmore up front.
If you want to reply to me then do so…

If the Pats can get him for nothing in trade then I fully support the move. To that I’ll say… wish in one hand and sht in the other… then tell me which fills up first.

Not exactly.

Corrected me on what? The spot is still open. Did I miss something and Jennings won the job?
Not official, but....good call on Perkins if this pans out.

Outside Linebackers— (4)

Matt Judon, Josh Uche, Ronnie Perkins, Anfernee Jennings

Cut: DaMarcus Mitchell, Nate Wieland

No change from our earlier roster projection. Jennings, who was out on many projections, showed on Thursday why I remain so high on him

Outside Linebackers— (4)

No change from our earlier roster projection. Jennings, who was out on many projections, showed on Thursday why I remain so high on him

Jennings is ahead of Perkins by far. He looked like a manimal against the Giants starters in the first.

Perkins got abused on Thursday night against the stiffs in the second half... he'll be lucky if he makes the practice squad.

Outside Linebackers— (4)

After week 1, Jennings looks like he has the inside track to win the starting job as I mentioned over a week ago. All I was saying was saying in this thread was that Perkins and Jennings have the opportunity to win that spot as Uche has had ample opportunities without being able to lock it down. Jennings has looked the best so far. I just watched some college highlights from him and it was funny how he sacked Kyler Murray with one hand by grabbing his jersey and pulled him down with ease. He looks like a Hightower clone. Perkins looked okay. Seems like a fair roster projection at OLB from Steve.
I’m hearing Jennings has the inside track so far over Uche which doesn’t shock me.

Last edited:
After week 1, Jennings looks like he has the inside track to win the starting job as I mentioned over a week ago. I’ll I was saying was saying in this thread was that Perkins and Jennings have the opportunity to win that spot as Uche has had ample opportunities without being able to lock it down. Jennings has looked the best so far. I just watched some college highlights from him and it was funny how he sacked Kyler Murray with one hand by grabbing his jersey and pulled him down with ease. He looks like a Hightower clone. Perkins looked okay. Seems like a fair roster projection at OLB from Steve.
I’m on board with the LB youth movement and I feel he (Jennings) has showed value there but I’m not ready to say he should be there on 1st down.

I’m on board with the LB youth movement and I feel he (Jennings) has showed value there but I’m not ready to say he should be there on 1st down.
Who should it be then?

Jennings is ahead of Perkins by far. He looked like a manimal against the Giants starters in the first.
2 combined tackles and 2 solo tackles was quite a night.
Perkins got abused on Thursday night against the stiffs in the second half... he'll be lucky if he makes the practice squad.
4 combined tackles, 1 solo and 1 pass defensed

2 combined tackles and 2 solo tackles was quite a night.

4 combined tackles, 1 solo and 1 pass defensed

He started the game and played well. Created pressure, held up in contain on the edge. He played 35 snaps then was done for the night with Tyquan, Uche, Strange, Carl Davis and the rest of the potential starters who obviously stood out.

Perkins didn't look good against the scrubs, created one pressure maybe, got destroyed in contain on the edge, got completely run around.

You understand how preseason is just practice right?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back