PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Roquan Smith requests a Trade

It’s Jennings or Perkins spot to lose.
Perkins is running with the scout team. Jennings has been very impressive and will likely see a lot of playing time. Uche will most likely contribute as a sub rusher. Someone has not been paying attention.

McGrone is on the outside looking in
Uche has flashed at times this camp
Perkins hasn’t done much
Jennings is playing well
Bingo @Zuma

Certain posters have not been keeping up with training camp.

I would love to add an athletic, young, proven LB but I doubt we will give up what it takes to get him as well as pay up for him.

He will cost a 1st round pick.

Houston picks 2nd and has 2 first rounders.
Cole Strange should have cost a Third according to the NFL World R Smith is already proven.

Bingo @Zuma

Will be paying very close attention Thursday night.:cool:

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Perkins is running with the scout team. Jennings has been very impressive and will likely see a lot of playing time. Uche will most likely contribute as a sub rusher. Someone has not been paying attention.
Bingo @Zuma

You’re completely missing the point. The point is there’s an opportunity for other guys to claim a spot as a starter.

You’re completely missing the point. The point is there’s an opportunity for other guys to claim a spot as a starter.
Isn’t there always ?

You specifically mentioned Perkins, in which myself and Zuma corrected you. Jennings has been impressive and has flashed. I am excited about seeing him this week against the Giants.

Isn’t there always ?
Not exactly.
You specifically mentioned Perkins, in which myself and Zuma corrected you. Jennings has been impressive and has flashed. I am excited about seeing him this week against the Giants.
Corrected me on what? The spot is still open. Did I miss something and Jennings won the job?

You obviously haven't been paying attention to TC, which is fine, people are busy etc.

You mentioned Perkins as someone that can start opposite Judon... I just responded to you by saying that is not happening as Perkins is running with the scout team.

I'd sure love to see him here, but this is another situation where the reason he wants to be traded is because of money issues, so you have to pay the trade value to get him and then pay the player himself. That's just not something NE generally does.

I would at least give Crable, um I mean McGrone a shot to show what he can do in pre-season. Even I can't write someone off before they have ever even played a meaningful snap in the NFL.

Again, different responsibilities and Willis had a ton more talent around him which allowed him to fly around the field.

Willis had more stats and had a longer prime than Mayo. I agree.

Anyone who saw Mayo from 09-12 saw the amount of covering-up he needed to do for every defensive player in the front 7 not named Wilfork.
Mayo was a tackling machine and I would say comparable to Willis in the run game.

However when it came to pass rushing and especially pass coverage Willis had the superior skills and that's not a knock against Mayo, Willis is just a very much deserved HOF.

It's not about stats, it's about watching both players and recognizing Willis was better in the pass game.

Mayo was amazing and loved him, shame injuries shortened his career and that he didn't get to play alongside Hightower and C Jones.

Roquan Smith is a STUD. I'd give up a 1st round pick for him, but would BB? With the trade demand coming out, maybe we can get him for only a 2nd.

BB might be happy with what he's got, at least offseason interviews seemed to indicate that. But our linebackers are far from proven. A lot of question marks with the defense still. Roquan could become a standout leader in the middle of that defense.

Roquan Smith is a STUD. I'd give up a 1st round pick for him, but would BB? With the trade demand coming out, maybe we can get him for only a 2nd.

BB might be happy with what he's got, at least offseason interviews seemed to indicate that. But our linebackers are far from proven. A lot of question marks with the defense still. Roquan could become a standout leader in the middle of that defense.
Not the same but the Bears traded a 2nd for Mack who at 26yo was arguably was one of the top defensive players in the NFL at the time of the trade. They then paid him a $hitload.

I feel like us fans overestimate how high of a draft pick a veteran player fetches in a trade. With the exception of QBs and CBs seems like its always less for other positions.

i would at the very least hope the front office calls the bears and finds out if they have any intentions of trading him...

I would give up a 1st for him. question is would I give up a 1 & 2nd or a 1st and 3rd... most likely yes, if the years were staggered... 2023 & 2024... something like that

Last edited:
From 2009-2013 they drafted Chung, McCourty, Jones, High, Collins, Harmon and Ryan and acquired a slew of talent in FA and UFA.
I prefer to look at 2008 as the start of the rebuild on D w/ Mayo as the Dynasty 1 defense had gotten old and with the exception of 2011 were a top 10 D in PA and still went to the SB that year.

Mayo was the lifejacket that kept thing afloat until the kids grew up.
Mayo is one of Bill's most talented draft picks on defense post 1st dynasty, yet has become an afterthought. Seriously, nobody talks about him because his team's came up short. If only he was drafted a few years later.
Mayo was a tackling machine and I would say comparable to Willis in the run game.

However when it came to pass rushing and especially pass coverage Willis had the superior skills and that's not a knock against Mayo, Willis is just a very much deserved HOF.
Willis was a guy that could quickly fill a hole and stonewall a RB. He was also a guy you did not want to catch a ball in the middle of the field on as he could lay you out. I never got that feeling from Mayo.
Mayo was amazing and loved him, shame injuries shortened his career and that he didn't get to play alongside Hightower and C Jones.
By the time they drafted Jones and Hightower, Mayo was on the verge of decline. It's a shame Hightower, Mayo and Collins never got a chance to play together consistently. That would've been by far the most talent Bill had put together at LB in either dynasty.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back