PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Roquan Smith requests a Trade

He's an instant upgrade, but he'll cost a fortune.

Seems unlikely given we don't want to seem to restructure deals

Two different defenses and responsibilities and that discussion/debate has been beaten to death.
I mean, I see where you're going with this...but Willis is a HoFer for a reason. Mayo was really good and no doubt would be a great fit for the modern linebacker role, but he didn't make the game changing plays Willis made.

I mean, I see where you're going with this...but Willis is a HoFer for a reason. Mayo was really good and no doubt would be a great fit for the modern linebacker role, but he didn't make the game changing plays Willis made.
Again, different responsibilities and Willis had a ton more talent around him which allowed him to fly around the field.

Willis had more stats and had a longer prime than Mayo. I agree.

Anyone who saw Mayo from 09-12 saw the amount of covering-up he needed to do for every defensive player in the front 7 not named Wilfork.

If we can make the money work, this is a good move

He will cost a 1st round pick.

Houston picks 2nd and has 2 first rounders.

Two different defenses and responsibilities and that discussion/debate has been beaten to death.
Anyone who saw Mayo from 09-12 saw the amount of covering-up he needed to do for every defensive player in the front 7 not named Wilfork.
There were times you saw glimpses of big play potential from Mayo, but as Asante Samuel would say, “Bill held him back”. Bill used him too conservatively. Mayo also played his best years on terrible defenses constructed by Bill. It was a shame.

There were times you saw glimpses of big play potential from Mayo, but as Asante Samuel would say, “Bill held him back”. Bill used him too conservatively. Mayo also played his best years on terrible defenses constructed by Bill. It was a shame.
Not to beat this to death, but Mayo was a very good player and Willis is an all time great. I really don't think Mayo is making the HoF in SF. Not sure Mayo is suddenly making tons of those big plays on another team.

There were times you saw glimpses of big play potential from Mayo, but as Asante Samuel would say, “Bill held him back”. Bill used him too conservatively.

Exactly. Not saying Mayo = Willis but their circumstances were very different.
Mayo also played his best years on terrible defenses constructed by Bill. It was a shame.
It takes time to rebuild a Super Bowl defense.

From 2009-2013 they drafted Chung, McCourty, Jones, High, Collins, Harmon and Ryan and acquired a slew of talent in FA and UFA.

I prefer to look at 2008 as the start of the rebuild on D w/ Mayo as the Dynasty 1 defense had gotten old and with the exception of 2011 were a top 10 D in PA and still went to the SB that year.

Mayo was the lifejacket that kept thing afloat until the kids grew up.

Jay, I remember him from Georgia and following him the draft and a few years ago. He's definitely a stud, but I think our LB's are fine and have been playing well and a pleasant surprise during camp. With Mack Wilson, Bentley, McMillian and McGrone we've upgraded our speed and added youth and I think we're set at that position.
I'd rather add a corner for the amount of money that Smith will demand.

Ash
Stop reading reading right there sorry Ash.

I would sleep easy with guy like Smith on our D the Bears are dumpster fire save Smith BB.

Smith is playing on his fifth year option for $9.7 mil guaranteed. So yes, he is looking for a big time extension. Does not make sense to trade for him and then sign him to a large contract, when the pats can just wait a year and sign him without having to give up anything. It is not like this Pats team is contending, so why lose the draft capital.
Except there’s a good chance he won’t be on the market next year. If he gets traded he’ll get an extension. So the only way the Pats get him then is to be the team that trades for him.

And if he does hit the market there will be a bidding war and he’ll go high, no bargain basement. In fact there would probably be a premium paid for saving the draft picks. Trade the draft pick(s) now and it buys exclusive negotiating rights for an extension before he gets to test the market at a time when cap jumps higher.

Last edited:
I would sleep easy with guy like Smith on our D the Bears are dumpster fire save Smith BB.
How would you feel about trading Agholor for Smith straight up? Then extend him using a combination of the newly freed cap space and a signing bonus spread over life of contract.

to me it seems like it would work. Bears need WRs. Question is whether we would want to part with Agholo? I think the WR depth is good enough to make it worth considering given the upside from acquiring Smith.

Smith is playing on his fifth year option for $9.7 mil guaranteed. So yes, he is looking for a big time extension. Does not make sense to trade for him and then sign him to a large contract, when the pats can just wait a year and sign him without having to give up anything. It is not like this Pats team is contending, so why lose the draft capital.
OH C'mon Ted with that First half schedule I see Seven wins just showing up. A playmaker like Smith puts this D over the Top.

How would you feel about trading Agholor for Smith straight up? Then extend him using a combination of the newly freed cap space and a signing bonus spread over life of contract.

to me it seems like it would work. Question is whether we would want to part with Agholo? I think the WR depth is good enough to make it worth considering given the upside from acquiring Smith.
I'd drive the bus to logan and fly the plane to Chicago with Agholor sitting in coach no brainer.

Stop reading reading right there sorry Ash.
It’s straight up insanity. We already know what we have in the starters of Judon and Bentley who are terrible in space. And as Ted Johnson has said, Judon should never be in a position he was in Buffalo in their playoff meeting. Wilson, McMillan or McGrone look like they will spell Bentley unless they bring an extra LB on the field. The outside LB/Edge is another question mark. Uche has been atrocious and will be a situational rusher at best. It’s Jennings or Perkins spot to lose.

It’s straight up insanity. We already know what we have in the starters of Judon and Bentley who are terrible in space. And as Ted Johnson has said, Judon should never be in a position he was in Buffalo in their playoff meeting. Wilson, McMillan or McGrone look like they will spell Bentley unless they bring an extra LB on the field. The outside LB/Edge is another question mark. Uche has been atrocious and will be a situational rusher at best. It’s Jennings or Perkins spot to lose.
The Bears seem fully okay with being bad this season, so I’d expect that they’re more interested in future value (draft picks) than an immediate one-year upgrade at WR.

Yep not buying it either looking great against your struggling counter parts in Practice is not a recipe for NFL Defensive success. We know what we have in Judon and other Teams know too we don't know what we have in the middle or on the other side on D.

McGrone is on the outside looking in
Uche has flashed at times this camp
Perkins hasn’t done much
Jennings is playing well

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing