PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Roquan Smith requests a Trade

JayNM

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

Now this is interesting

Adding a guy like him, suddenly this defense looks very, very solid all around (minus CBs)

Not only he could become a centerpiece for our new defense, Smith is the best case scenario for whoever we throw at ILB. Honestly, he would be our best LB since the first dinasty

Cap could be a problem for this year if he really wants a contract now, but with the impeding amount of money we have in future years, in a position who has yet to be "corrected" generally for its importance

Also, I have a sneaking suspition he is going to an AFC team, how much longer can we remain idle?

Now this is interesting

Adding a guy like him, suddenly this defense looks very, very solid all around (minus CBs)

Not only he could become a centerpiece for our new defense, Smith is the best case scenario for whoever we throw at ILB. Honestly, he would be our best LB since the first dinasty

Cap could be a problem for this year if he really wants a contract now, but with the impeding amount of money we have in future years, in a position who has yet to be "corrected" generally for its importance

Also, I have a sneaking suspition he is going to an AFC team, how much longer can we remain idle?

Jay, I remember him from Georgia and following him the draft and a few years ago. He's definitely a stud, but I think our LB's are fine and have been playing well and a pleasant surprise during camp. With Mack Wilson, Bentley, McMillian and McGrone we've upgraded our speed and added youth and I think we're set at that position.
I'd rather add a corner for the amount of money that Smith will demand.

Ash

It's tough because he specifically wants money, which we lack. I'm still not sold on our LB group yet though.

It's tough because he specifically wants money, which we lack. I'm still not sold on our LB group yet though.
Cap is crap, it’s the having to give up picks that makes this too rich for the Pats.

Jay, I remember him from Georgia and following him the draft and a few years ago. He's definitely a stud, but I think our LB's are fine and have been playing well and a pleasant surprise during camp. With Mack Wilson, Bentley, McMillian and McGrone we've upgraded our speed and added youth and I think we're fine at that position.
I'd rather add a corner for the amount of money that Smith will demand.

Ash
I think we are betting too much into unproven talent.

Bentley has the most experience there, but i think we can safely know what to expect of him (and i have been saying he's our best LB since the beginning of last year)

Everyone else is a crapshot... Basically rookies in a way. And they are going against a work-in-progress of a offense, making it even harder to evaluate

Plus, whatever he gets, sure it will be a lot. But in a 4 or 5 year contract? Could be the sign of the century if he elevates our new generation at D

I think we are betting too much into unproven talent.

Bentley has the most experience there, but i think we can safely know what to expect of him (and i have been saying he's our best LB since the beginning of last year)

Everyone else is a crapshot... Basically rookies in a way. And they are going against a work-in-progress of a offense, making it even harder to evaluate

Plus, whatever he gets, sure it will be a lot. But in a 4 or 5 year contract? Could be the sign of the century if he elevates our new generation at D
I agree but I think McMillan and Wilson will see a lot of playing time and they do have some experience....

McMillan
1660051325391.png

Wilson
1660051354126.png

The Patriots don’t trade good picks for expensive players, and I wouldn’t expect that they’re about to make an ILB the exception.

Cap is crap, it’s the having to give up picks that makes this too rich for the Pats.
Cap is crap for every team except the Patriots, who can’t even afford to carry a 90 man roster as it stands.

Yes please.

BB and Groh would be fools not to pursue this.

The team will be flush with cap space next year.

Our ILBs may be functional but are not playmakers

Smith is a Mayo/Willis type.

Smith has a cap hit of $9.7m in 2022

Hes 25. Plenty of potential high-productivity years left

Sign him to an extension and spread any bonus to 2023 and beyond

These are the things you do when you have a QB on a rookie deal

Land a near-to lock down CB and this team now has a close-to Super Bowl defense

Brandin Cooks?
They only paid him $1.56M that season, and I wouldn’t consider the $8.4M to keep him for a second season to be that expensive either. Third season and beyond would have been plenty expensive.

Smith is playing on his fifth year option for $9.7 mil guaranteed. So yes, he is looking for a big time extension. Does not make sense to trade for him and then sign him to a large contract, when the pats can just wait a year and sign him without having to give up anything. It is not like this Pats team is contending, so why lose the draft capital.

Roquan Smith's agent: I'm going to send out feelers to the New England people, see if there's interest

Roquan Smith: Who's the Patriots D coordinator?

Agent: They don't have one

Roquan Smith:
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Roquan Smith: Who runs their defensive meetings?

Agent: Belichick's friends and family.
family GIF
It could be any one of six people depending on what hat their consultants are wearing that day.
Yes, it's messed up....but this is a D that needs a stud like you. We're talking a D that couldn't force Buffalo to punt even once in 9 consecutive quarters last season.

Roquan Smith: Will they pay me what I'm worth? I hear they're cheap

Agent: Belichick will offer you minimal salary plus unattainable incentives like he did for Brady

Agent: You know what, I'll call McVay. Let's get you paid and a ring.

He’d be a nice addition, but Bill doesn’t like talented LB’s for some odd reason.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back