PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Romo retiring. Going into broadcasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should receive Hall of Fame consideration as one of the best quarterbacks of his generation, but I suspect the media has bought its own false 'choker' narrative.

I would put Romo in the very good but not great Category with guys like Bledsoe and Rivers. He belongs in the Cowboys Ring of Honor but not the Hall of Fame.

Should receive Hall of Fame consideration as one of the best quarterbacks of his generation, but I suspect the media has bought its own false 'choker' narrative.
I'm on the fence about this, prime. I like some of the things he has done in his career, but I can't overlook the poor playoff track record - whether it's his lack of even getting there and then what he did (or the lack thereof) in his few visits. He did some things, but did he put together an impressive enough body of work? I'm just not sure (if I were casting a vote).

I would put Romo in the very good but not great Category with guys like Bledsoe and Rivers. He belongs in the Cowboys Ring of Honor but not the Hall of Fame.
Yeah, I tend to agree on this one. I responded as to being on the fence, but if I were pressed to decide, I'd say no to the HOF. We'd be getting into NBA territory if they start letting guys like Romo in.

If he goes to CBS and replaces Simms, that eliminates the forehead from getting that job.

No, he does not. He was a good QB in an era of high passing stats. If he got in, it would confirm my opinion of the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a bastion of the "better than mediocre".

Agreed. Just 78 career wins, and 2 career playoff victories in 4 post-seasons. Never a Pro Bowl starter or First-Team All-Pro. That's not a Hall of Fame resume, IMO.

That said, Romo was a legitimate franchise QB in a league with too few of them, and I wish him the best in his new career.

Agreed. Just 78 career wins, and 2 career playoff victories in 4 post-seasons. Never a Pro Bowl starter or First-Team All-Pro. That's not a Hall of Fame resume, IMO.

That said, Romo was a legitimate franchise QB in a league with too few of them, and I wish him the best in his new career.
Perfectly stated.

A legend: good QB w great name . 14 yrs on the same team . face of fancy franchise . in a league in desperate need of true stars..

With the exception of Eli, who'll end up in the HOF because of two playoff runs with a horseshoe up his ass, the QB HOFers of the "2000's" are pretty easy to see, and Romo's not one of them. Favre and Warner are already in, so where you slot them, in terms of era, doesn't matter.

Brady
Peyton
Rodgers
Brees
Roethlisberger

After that, it's the dropoff, and either Rivers or McNabb would be next in line.

That's probably fair, because I'd put him on a level with Rivers and if you think Rivers isn't a Hall of Famer then Romo shouldn't be either, but it will be a damn shame if Eli Manning makes the Hall of Fame on the strength of two rings he did very little to earn and Tony Romo does not for reasons almost entirely outside of his control.

It helps the Pats but I don't see us trading JAG to either Denver or Houston. If we do it could come back to bite us.

It should change the market for JAG but I don't think it does cause that phone is probably never picked up anyway and the extra cost we would make them pay if they did want them is so high they would be crazy to do it.

So who's going to be synonymous with "league average" now that Mr. League Average has retired?

Yeah I think it's going to happen, he may have took this decision just to finally get released from the ****ing Cowboys.

If he is confident in his body, he may have another season or 2, after all he didn't play last year after the pre season injury. Of course a huge requirement is a great offensive line otherwise is a no start.

That's probably fair, because I'd put him on a level with Rivers and if you think Rivers isn't a Hall of Famer then Romo shouldn't be either, but it will be a damn shame if Eli Manning makes the Hall of Fame on the strength of two rings he did very little to earn and Tony Romo does not for reasons almost entirely outside of his control.

Yep, I'm not big on Manning making the Hall but the two rings and Manning name basically assure it. If he isn't voted in Archie will direct NFL Security to forcibly install his bust.

Right, because when injuries to your starting QB cause you to look for a replacement, "Mr Durability" comes to mind.

Hopefully Romo can make it to your city without injuring himself boarding the plane.

Yeah I think it's going to happen, he may have took this decision just to finally get released from the ****ing Cowboys.

If he is confident in his body, he may have another season or 2, after all he didn't play last year after the pre season injury. Of course a huge requirement is a great offensive line otherwise is a no start.

Yup, if the Cowboys had a decent OL Romo wouldn't have been injured in the first place.

:rolleyes:

He also had a prime Witten his entire career and went from T.O to Dez Bryant. His last couple of years he had a HOF caliber OL as well.

I agree the choker narrative is not that fair. He wasn't clutch but I didn't see a huge drop off in ability. He did fine in the playoffs generally. He was a good QB but good QBs lose in the playoffs more than they win fairly often.

I put Romo with guys like Rivers, McNabb, Ryan, ect... Good QBs but not great.

Not HOF worthy but one of the top 100 QBs of all time and that is nothing to sneeze at.

Looking forward to the headline. Browns better get there head out there arse because Texans are coming for jimmy G

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST