PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Romo retiring. Going into broadcasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben's had the benefit of better defenses, generally, and has also, generally, had solid receiving options around him. I like Ben, and I've pretty consistently rated him at the top of the league's QBs, but I think that he's just not quite up to Brees level. I'm open to persuasion on this one, though.

BTW, here's a list of the 2017 QB nominees:

Nominees for Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2017 announced

If you take away Flutie, who's missing a lot of NFL years because of the CFL, I'm not sure I could vote Romo ahead of any of the other nominees, and that group doesn't count the guys still going, who are going to be added to the list.

Agreed on Romo.

You make a good point on Big Ben, and I could also go both ways also. In a way I think that the quality of Big Ben's receiving options are somewhat a reflection of his sandlot style of play. I like my QB's to be cerebral (with Brady being the epitome, virtually a football genius) and of course Brady is at the top of the list with making his receivers better. In contrast, Big Ben is just so dang physically talented that his receivers can just run around fast while he runs around and sheds tacklers in the pocket and he eventually delivers the ball, so I think he makes his receivers look better than they are also, in a much different way. I think of guys like Mike Wallace that looked better in Pittsburg than in Miami.

Thanks for your explanation and input, I guess I'm derailing this thread and better get off this subject, back to Romo, I agree with your assessment of Romo, a good starting QB, but not Hall of Fame caliber.

Last edited:
With the exception of Eli, who'll end up in the HOF because of two playoff runs with a horseshoe up his ass, the QB HOFers of the "2000's" are pretty easy to see, and Romo's not one of them. Favre and Warner are already in, so where you slot them, in terms of era, doesn't matter.

Brady
Peyton
Rodgers
Brees
Roethlisberger

After that, it's the dropoff, and either Rivers or McNabb would be next in line.

I agree with the top 5 list. Eli will make it in because of the 2 SBs. I don't think Rivers or McNabb should make it in there because they were way too inconsistent.

Players like Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan if they continue trending updwards will make it.

It's a tough era because the big 4 (Brady, Peyton, Rodgers and Brees) are so far ahead of everyone and Big Ben is almost there as well.

A legend: good QB w great name . 14 yrs on the same team . face of fancy franchise . in a league in desperate need of true stars..

Don't you actually have to win something to become a legend?

I'm not a Romo hater by any means but that sounds like hype to me.

One last FA move for the Pats: Getting clueless/somewhat Pats hater Phil Simms out of the booth to what I expect will be a big upgrade for the lead AFC announcing team. Sweet. Romo will respect the Pats/Brady way more than Simms did.

I agree with the top 5 list. Eli will make it in because of the 2 SBs. I don't think Rivers or McNabb should make it in there because they were way too inconsistent.

Players like Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan if they continue trending updwards will make it.

It's a tough era because the big 4 (Brady, Peyton, Rodgers and Brees) are so far ahead of everyone and Big Ben is almost there as well.

IMHO, there is much separation between those top 5-7.

Tier 1: Best of all Time, Tom Brady and it isn't close.
Tier 2: Slam dunk first ballot Hall of Famers: Peyton and Rodgers
Tier 3: Very likely to make the Hall of Fame: Big Ben and Brees
Tier 4: Franchise starting quarterbacks: Romo, Rivers, McNabb,.....

Tony Romo will be a TV analyst with CBS next season, according to sources. A deal has yet to be signed, but CBS and Romo have reached a verbal agreement. The Cowboys QB is expected to replace Phil Simms as the net’s top game analyst, where he will be paired with Jim Nantz. CBS outbid Fox Sports for Romo’s services, sources said. Fox Sports wanted Romo to replace John Lynch as the game analyst on the net’s No. 2 broadcast team. Just a couple of weeks ago, Fox was considered the front-runner to land Romo, since it carries the NFC package that Romo knows so well. But a concern for Romo was that another former Cowboys QB, Troy Aikman, is the net’s top NFL game analyst, and he is not likely to leave the booth any time soon.

Sources: Romo To Land With CBS; Could Replace Simms As Top AnalystSources: Romo To Land With CBS; Could Replace Simms As Top Analyst

Yep, he seems like a decent guy. I 'm happy for him, wish him well. The human body can only take so much football. Makes you realize yet again what a true freak Brady - the older of the two - really is.

I liked Romo as a QB but due to injuries and lack of post season success he will definately fall short of the HOF. Am very interested to see how many QB's from this generation end up making it. Players like Luck, Stafford, Ryan, Wilson and Carr will all likely rank in the top 10 in cumulative stats by the time they are done (assuming no major injuries) as it is no longer even a big deal to pass for 4,000 yards and have a QB rating over 90.

If you look back at Brady's career numbers you can see what happened post 2004 playoffs when the Colts whined to the league and new rules were applied to the secondary. The first 5 years of his career had rather pedestrian stats when looking at them in a 2017 context but it was a much different league back.

HOF Locks:
Brady
Peyton
Rogers
Brees
Big Ben

Maybes:
Eli (I hope not as besides he 2 playoff runs his per game numbers are marginal at best)
Rivers (great stats - if he could somehow win a Super Bowl his career success will be re-examined I think- still doubtful)
Flacco - major long shot but if he has one more SB run his per game stats will be compared and found similar to Eli (no way should he be in)

Next Wave:
Ryan - needs a big 2nd half of career and probably a SB won
Luck - his final numbers will likely be immense
Wilson - over 100 QB rating plus early playoff success - still needs another 10 years of success
Carr - too early to tell but shows promise

How many Super Bowls would Romo have won with the Forehead's teams? I think at least three.

Is Simms retiring? Kind of odd that someone with no experience would move directly to the top pairing (even if everyone here hates him).

That's sports broadcasting for you. Names over talent. For all we know, Tony Romo is going to be like Joe Montana in the booth, yet with no experience he becomes the #1 guy.

Granted, color guys do their best work very early on in their career while they still have relevant game experience and insight; as the years go on, they add less and less and fall back onto clichés. Look at Jerry Remy and heck, even Tim McCarver was actually a decent baseball color guy in the 1980s.

Put Romo on the #2 or #3 team for a year, see how he does. If he does as well as expected, move him to the #1 team in year two. But that's not how sports broadcasting works.

Guy'll be 37 when the season starts, has played 14 seasons, has had massive problems with his health ... and people are calling him a quitter for not trying to play for a new team for a year.

So now there are at least 8 NFL teams that are desperately in need of a QB (Cleveland Browns; New York Jets; San Francisco 49ers; Chicago Bears; Buffalo Bills; Houston Texans; Arizona Cardinals; Jacksonville Jaguars) and one less QB in free agency.

And yet, people scoff at the notion that Jimmy G is worth at least one top 10 draft pick. :rolleyes:

That's probably fair, because I'd put him on a level with Rivers and if you think Rivers isn't a Hall of Famer then Romo shouldn't be either, but it will be a damn shame if Eli Manning makes the Hall of Fame on the strength of two rings he did very little to earn and Tony Romo does not for reasons almost entirely outside of his control.

Eli will make it on the first ballot because his Dad is Archie.

with the pats being the number 1 AFC team, get ready for a lot of tony romo next year folks.

If he were so good why didn't he get his job back? The Broncos and Texans will not be a threat next year even with Romo.

Because the Cowboys were on a tear with Prescott. That's like asking why Bledsoe didn't get his job back in 2001, and I'm in no way comparing Prescott to Brady, but you don't screw with a winning season just to placate the original starter.*

*With one exception.

One last FA move for the Pats: Getting clueless/somewhat Pats hater Phil Simms out of the booth to what I expect will be a big upgrade for the lead AFC announcing team. Sweet. Romo will respect the Pats/Brady way more than Simms did.

Huh? This comes...from a hunch??

He could have helped Texans or Broncos I think.

So good for him!

Or he could have been a cripple I am sure you have seen how those men hit. I am sure Romo gave serious thought to the question...."Can I last an entire season with Back Problems in Today's NFL"? The answer is honestly No...whoever think they can Gronk included is just kidding themselves. Money can't buy or relieve everything including excruciating chronic pains. Smart decision by Mr Romo.

Don't you actually have to win something to become a legend?

I'm not a Romo hater by any means but that sounds like hype to me.
I think he's making the point that the term "legend" has been watered down in modern times. @long distance, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back