PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Randy Moss says he is the GOAT WR

Rice 1200+ yards for the Raiders at age 40. That’s not like Brady in his 40s but still really impressive. Rice and Tim Brown were a good receiving duo for that team.

Megatron would be way up there if his career didn’t prematurely end.

It's super impressive as receivers rely on their legs and athleticism. Pocket QBs basically stand there and throw within 2 seconds. So Rice doing that at age 40 is amazingly impressive.

If Moss didn't check out in his Oakland years, if he kept to the program in New England, he could have been the GOAT.

But Rice checks all the boxes. He has the rings. He has the volume stats. He has the great individual years. That's a tough one to top.

Watching a Jerry Rice highlight reel is great.

Watching a Randy Moss highlight reel is jaw-dropping.

Watching a Jerry Rice highlight reel is great.

Watching a Randy Moss highlight reel is jaw-dropping.

Rice is someone you watch over the course of his career and just say "this guy is so consistently a WR1 and a winner, hard to say he isn't the best."

Moss is a person who you can watch in a single game and be like "this guy is a monster."

Both of those statements are a unique testament to their ability, and not meant to be an argument for one or the other. I just liked your succinct way of putting it and wanted to build off of it haha.

If either Moss or Owens had Rice's brain, they could have been the GOATs. But, Rice had the mentality, work ethic, and Brady-like focus and determination with far less physical attributes. As well as the luck of being with Montana and that organization. That's something you can't account for.

Jerry Rice's stats are certainly insane. I like to tell people in this context........

In the NFL, having a 1,000 yard receiving yards is a good barometer for a good receiving year.

Imagine you get 1,000 yards receiving for 20 seasons!!!! outrageous, right?

Well, you'd still have less yards than Jerry Rice

Love Moss, but it's unfortunate he checked out in his last season in New England. You don't just go from a 1264 yard, 13 TD season to a 393 yard, 5 TD season without major injury. He could have been a great complimentary piece to the Welker / double TE driven offense if he bought in like he did in San Francisco in 2012 where he was a solid 3rd/4th option behind Crabtree and Vernon Davis.

Jerry Rice's stats are certainly insane. I like to tell people in this context........

In the NFL, having a 1,000 yard receiving yards is a good barometer for a good receiving year.

Imagine you get 1,000 yards receiving for 20 seasons!!!! outrageous, right?

Well, you'd still have less yards than Jerry Rice
Rice had 1000 yard seasons in Oakland at age 39 and 40. I don't think anybody else had even one 1000 yard season at that age. He's just so far ahead of anybody else and had peaks that have hardly been matched by anybody else, so it's hard to impossible to argue against Rice being the GOAT wide receiver. This is no case of Emmitt Smith's volume stats.

Randy Moss is the GOAT, sorta... he's actually the GOATh... Greatest of All Thundering herd

If I'm drafting all-time great players to build a team I'm choosing the guy who doesn't have any equals in certain areas. Rice was amazing, outrageous work ethic but he was the greatest route runner I've seen. Other guys have just as good of hands. Again he was amazing but I can get replicate a lot of what he did through other players like a Holt, Bruce, Carter etc

Who's even close to Moss in terms of skill set? I mean it's him, Calvin, a good gap and everyone else.

Not taking anything away from Jerry Rice but people look at his stats and just go crazy while ignoring them when it comes to other players and situations (Favre, E Smith) Rice worked his ass off but caught passes from 2 of the top ten QB's of all-time and Rich Gannon. All the while next to incredible offensive pieces and some great defenses.

I really don't think there is a wrong answer. If Moss or Calvin Johnson had played with Brady or Favre for 15 years they have over 200 TDs in 5-6 less years than Rice.

Really? Moss often checked out during games. Rice gave 110 percent every play.
Very well said ....Rice’ work ethic, conditioning, and commitment COMBINED with his incredible athleticism gives him edge over Moss. Amazing what Randy accomplished...like someone said probably one of most incredible athletic ability of any athlete ever....but his bad attitude and lack of work ethic leaves a lot of shoulda/woulda/coulda on the table!

If either Moss or Owens had Rice's brain, they could have been the GOATs. But, Rice had the mentality, work ethic, and Brady-like focus and determination with far less physical attributes. As well as the luck of being with Montana and that organization. That's something you can't account for.

In a way yes. In terms of smarts, Moss was actually a brilliant mind. But his attitude prevented him from being the best overall.

1. Rice
2. Moss
3. Rodgers (for making receivers better)

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back