PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT-Overrated past football players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Fouts

Yup. Fouts was Drew Bledsoe, but more of a vocal leader. There might be no QB in the history of the NFL who had more command in the huddle, more respect of his teammates...all while repeatedly throwing INTs into the chests of LBs and safeties sitting in their zones.

Regards,
Chris

Elway had some crazy number of 4th quarter comebacks with the likes of Vance Johnson and Marc Jackson as his primary receivers. Played in a competitive AFCW for the bulk of his career. I don't think the 80s Broncos sniff the Super Bowl once, let alone 3 times, without him.

And honestly, of any team's fans to call the guy overrated, the last on the list should be Pats fans. The guy owned New England's ###. Did the Pats ever beat him?

Regards,
Chris
There were plenty of worse QB's around, true.

Not sure if Grogan ever started against Elway. He should have (instead of Eason), and if he had, we would have won more.

Not players, thus it may be off topic. I think Gruden was and is severly overrated. Won a SB with Dungy's players vs a team he knew inside and out. Follows that up by making the postseason twice in a six year span.

Terry Bradshaw. Guy does not deserve his 4 ring status.
I think he does, and is underrated today. He used his tough experiences early in his career to his benefit, he usually protected the ball well in big games. Took advantage of rule changes and passed the hell out of it in '78-'79.

Carson Palmer. He's really Mark Sanchez with more confidence.

Phil Simms isn't in the HOF or anything, but he was considered a top-tier QB in the late 80s, primarily driven by his shining moment in SB21 when he went 22-of-25 against an overmatched Broncos team. Jeff Hostetler showed Simms wasn't a necessary cog to win SB25. Yet I suspect Simms doesn't have the broadcasting career he has today if that SB21 performance wasn't parlayed somehow.

Regards,
Chris

Archie Manning too, people act like he was a great player on a bad team.

He was mediocre at best.

Remember when he said it would be a disgrace to lose to Tampa Bay?

Did he eat crow!

Brett Favre hands down.

Absolutely. Quarterbacks are going to make mistakes. I can't think of a guy who made more mistakes ( Giants Int, Saints int, Eagles int) at the absolute worst time possible. Some of these " Mistakes" werent forced. Just complete dumb decisions.

Brian Dawkins. Great player, but he was always regarded as the best Safety at that time ( pre Ed Reed) I always thought Milloy and especially Harrison his first 2 years here were much better. Same with John Lynch.

Joey Porter.

Warren Sapp is the definition of overrated.

Andrew Luck. All the hype, and granted he hasn't been surrounded with the best supporting cast, but great QBs are supposed to mask a lot of mistakes. He's in the worst division in football and still can't make the playoffs

His teams never belonged on the same field as the NFC teams. Those bronco teams weren't even the best in the afc. John carried them there. And the system he played in never really allowed him to show off his stats. He's not top 5 all time that I agree with. I do agree Marino was better. But I just think your selling john way short. I can't really think of anybody right now

No one is doubting the NFC teams were better. What I'm saying is that he wasn't carrying crap(the 87 and 89 defenses were elite) and the conference he was playing in was garbage so it's not impressive. If you put the Broncos in the NFC during the mid to late 80's they would be lucky to make the postseason and if they did they would be crushed in the first playoff game

The way those Broncos teams worked most of the time is that John would be mediocre and in some cases down right crap for 3 quarters. They would still be in the game though because the defense was great, then he would do his "magic" in the final 5 mins and get all the credit fo the media.

Saying someone isn't a top 10 qb of all time is not selling them short.

Dan Fouts
He's another one. Played in ideal circumstances

Weapons galore
Best weather in America
Innovative offensive coach
Directly right after the late 70's rule changes to open up the offense

And still was a turnover machine who stunk in big games

McNabb
Kurt Warner
Zach Thomas
Donovan was pretty good. Kurt was really good; he's just an impressive story - minus buying the cheating garbage...

lots of other overrated players out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST