PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Old friend Albert Breer returns to Boston...sort of

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
He's landed a national job with The Sporting News covering the NFL according to Scott's Shots at BSMW. I guess that proves you don't have to be a self absorbed, back stabbing douche bag to get ahead in the sports media...go figure.

"Former MetroWest Daily News writer and Patriots beat guy, Albert Breer, will be leaving the Dallas Morning News on June 26 to take a national job with The Sporting News on July 7. Breer, 28, will be moving back to his native Boston (a Lincoln-Sudbury graduate of 1998) and be based here for TSN. “This is what I want to do,” said Breer. “My goal has been to cover the league, not just one team, and that’s what I’ll be doing now.” (Breer will team with TSN’s Clifton Brown and Dennis Dillon on NFL coverage.)

There will certainly be an adjustment period for Breer as he develops deeper sources and contacts throughout the league, but his rise through the ranks has been impressive - aided, he said, by now having covered both the Patriots and the Cowboys. “I’m young, but I tend to get along well with football people,” said Breer. “This is a position I’ll be able to grow in.”

. . . Amusing to see how at least one of Breer’s colleagues at the DMN took to calling him Albert Einstein.

. . . Breer pointed out that the DMN is used to losing writers to national outlets. “Look at how many people have been poached from here: Matt Mosley, Ed Werder, Mark Stein, Tim Kurkjian - all those guys were DMN reporters.”

http://shots.bostonsportsmedia.com/2008/06/green-with-ennui-post-green-celebration/

He's landed a national job with The Sporting News covering the NFL according to Scott's Shots at BSMW. I guess that proves you don't have to be a self absorbed, back stabbing douche bag to get ahead in the sports media...go figure.

"Former MetroWest Daily News writer and Patriots beat guy, Albert Breer, will be leaving the Dallas Morning News on June 26 to take a national job with The Sporting News on July 7. Breer, 28, will be moving back to his native Boston (a Lincoln-Sudbury graduate of 1998) and be based here for TSN. “This is what I want to do,” said Breer. “My goal has been to cover the league, not just one team, and that’s what I’ll be doing now.” (Breer will team with TSN’s Clifton Brown and Dennis Dillon on NFL coverage.)

There will certainly be an adjustment period for Breer as he develops deeper sources and contacts throughout the league, but his rise through the ranks has been impressive - aided, he said, by now having covered both the Patriots and the Cowboys. “I’m young, but I tend to get along well with football people,” said Breer. “This is a position I’ll be able to grow in.”

. . . Amusing to see how at least one of Breer’s colleagues at the DMN took to calling him Albert Einstein.

. . . Breer pointed out that the DMN is used to losing writers to national outlets. “Look at how many people have been poached from here: Matt Mosley, Ed Werder, Mark Stein, Tim Kurkjian - all those guys were DMN reporters.”

Good for Breer. Nice to see that actual journalism gets rewarded.

I'm sure the Dallas fans are disappointed. Good for Breer, maybe he'll show up on FSNE again like Curran does even though he's national. Getting Breer on sometimes would be enough to pique my interest even when Girlie is on.

Wow! Breer is on the fast track. Granted I don't know if going to the Sporting News is as big of an accomplishment as it was in the past.

Congratulations to you, AB. I think that having worked with Mike Reiss and Rick Gosselin gives you a pretty good pedigree.

Congrats to Breer moving back here. Good guy. Good career move. My daughter went to Lincoln-Sudbury HS as well back when we lived in the 1776 zipcode.

Wow! Breer is on the fast track. Granted I don't know if going to the Sporting News is as big of an accomplishment as it was in the past.

It's definitely a long, long way from the MetroWest Daily News in a short, short time! Congrats both to Breer and to his new employer, they made a great choice.

That is awsome.

I read some of his stuff in Dallas but this will be much more interesting for us uo here in Boston who loved his writing while he was here.

I would say the best thing I remember about his writing is that he had a way of breaking down the game and making it more understandable for the layman. Coverages, schemes, packages, ext, ext, ext.......

Congrats to AB! Great move and couldn't have happened to a better writer!

That is good news...AB has been a solid writer and his moving to Dallas was a major loss. That he is now national and in Boston will only add another good voice to in depth solid journalism. Didn't realize he was local..good for HIM!! Congrats on the promotion!!!

Good for him. I used to enjoy reading articles and blogs from both the Globe and the Herald, and then AB left and it all went downhill from there at the Herald. I'm glad we still have Mike Reiss.

Anyway... good luck to Albert Breer!

Actually, I doubt Dallas will be mad about his departure. His analysis work for the DMN was great. However, it was beyond the average Cowboys fan. They couldn't get past the "yankee" thing.

It's a homer thing when it comes to the Cowboys and their fans.

Great news for Albert Breer and for all readers of TSN. Many writers at the Herald and Globe could learn from him. I am finally starting to realize alot of talented writers work for the some of the smaller(non Herald and Globe) papers around town. First Tom Curran from Projo and now Breer from the MetroWest. The Hockey writer at the Metrowest, Flynn?, is pretty good too.

http://shots.bostonsportsmedia.com/2008/06/green-with-ennui-post-green-celebration/

Awesome, good for Breer. Well deserved, he really is one of the best out there, specifically for football. Look forward to seeing him cover the Pats some more with this national assignment - given the amount of press the Pats get these days, I imagine that'll happen a lot.

what does this say about people like felger? that is the best part

a Lincoln-Sudbury graduate of 1998

Well then, screw him. My stepdaughter graduated from Acton-Boxboro in 1998, and the two schools were archrivals.

:eek:

But seriously, it could hardly happen to a more deserving guy. And I'm guessing the Dallas Morning News knows this is what will happen when they hire good guys to low-level jobs, and doesn't much mind how quickly he went in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3